Make money on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
Just wanted to start a new thread on making money on the road as one of the other ones has apparently turned into to some kind of venomous religion bashing contest. (sigh) 

I read somewhere that some people show up for beet harvesting? What is this about? Are there any other seasonal jobs that dwellers are doing?

Thanks all,
John

campground host, amazon seasonal work, authors, some crazy people even look for gold. highdesertranger

Konaexpress said:
Just wanted to start a new thread on making money on the road as one of the other ones has apparently turned into to some kind of venomous religion bashing contest. (sigh) 

Wow! :-/ Venomous?

highdesertranger said:
campground host,  amazon seasonal work,  authors,  some crazy people even look for gold.  highdesertranger

Gold looks to be fun but more of a hobby no? I guess if your good at it, it could pay well. Yea, who am I fooling? I'd do it in a NY second.

I thought Bob posted that some of the Amazon stuff is drying up, maybe I got that wrong.

John

Konaexpress said:
Gold looks to be fun but more of a hobby no? I guess if your good at it, it could pay well. Yea, who am I fooling? I'd do it in a NY second.

I thought Bob posted that some of the Amazon stuff is drying up, maybe I got that wrong.

John

Go to your Nook app andsearch for Desertphile. He has a number of free selections on prospecting for gold in specific areas.

just search desertphile doesn't matter what you are on. btw you can make some money prospecting. you probably won't get rich but you will find some gold. highdesertranger

Konaexpress said:

Yes and no--is that clear yet!?? :huh:

Amazon is changing it's warehouses around to the point where there are very few left that still use camperforce workcampers. The only one out west is in Dallas, Texas (there are also one or two back East). However, even though there are very few left, everyone I know who wanted to work for them got a job so as of now if you want to work for Amazon, you still can.
Bob

While I don't know much about beet harvests, there are fruit and vegetable harvests all over the country.

Strawberries, Cherries, Apples, Pears, Peaches, and many many more. Many vandwellers follow the harvests and make more than enough money to see themselves through the winter.

I know vandwellers who do yard care during the summer then head south for the winter. Some even own their own lawn care businesses and return every spring to the same town to run them.

Temp agencies and day worker or day labor centers can also be great resources for people living on the road.

If you know how to make money at them, there's flea markets and swap meets all over the place.

One popular option for full timers is to make money online, lots of opportunities there.

Then there's businesses you can own and operate from almost anywhere, like painting house numbers on curbs, or any one of dozens and dozens of others.

Busking (Street corner entertaining) for donations. Some people report making upwards of $100/hr doing this.

There's an almost unlimited number of businesses that can be started for free or on a shoestring budget, that can be run from almost anywhere. You are only limited by your own imagination and creativity.

Opportunity is everywhere once you learn how to recognize it, and take advantage of it. Hard labor, easy labor, mental labor, fun labor, it's all out there just waiting for you. Find something you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

I know Amazon is starting a new delivery business that is sort of a mashup between Uber and UPS. You log in and go make deliveries. The problem I see for some would be their MPG to make it worth it. What I was wondering is if they could use their van/bus/RV as a mother ship and use a scooter for delivery? We rented scooters in Hawaii and those things get about a 100 to 114 MPG! The dang thing pulled me around for 6 hours with no problem. Used about a buck twenty five in gas between the both of them.

John

How many do a fiver business? And if you do what is the outcome like? What type of gigs do you do? I'm thinking of doing a fiver business and need some advice. I'm thinking of learning to tell fortunes. It is a very fascinating subjct.

Fiver? Like palm reading? If so, it will be different to learn. Depends if you go by the book or you are an intuitive reader.....not sure what what info your looking for.

Gigs? If you get known with local new age stores, you can drum up business. Otherwise you are doing the roadside or fair rout kind of stuff. If you can find someone with a local cable show that covers the weird stuff, you could talk your way on to the show if your good. They are always looking for show material.
John

It is the path of least resistance. I'm very disabled and can't do much of anything. I for new age store to sponsor me

One thing I have never seen anyone here mention, but I thought might bring in a few dollars IF it is um.... your cup of tea: phone work. There is a place market for psychic, sexual, & advice type calls. Make your own hours, only need a laptop really & wifi. <shrug>

Just want to remind folks,there's plenty of work in resort towns and dude ranches for the summer.Most provide room and board.

Do you have any suggestions for how to find jobs there? A link they commonly use maybe?

Try coolworks.com or just go to an area you are interested in.
There is a big shortage of summer help here in Maine resort areas ,,,,,reason ?,,,,,,no available affordable housing ! A vandweller may have an advantage !