Mail Forwarding Service - some things I don't understand.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I've been hesitant to ask questions about this because I feel stupid not understanding it.  I checked archived threads but haven't found solid answers to scratch this itch.

#1.  I'm assuming only full-timers need a mail forwarding service.  If you're part-time, you have permanent residential address already, unless you're just using a mail forwarder's address in another state to benefit from their tax laws.   So, here's my question:  Where do they forward your mail to if you're living and traveling on the road full-time?  Do you stop at an RV Park somewhere else and request your mail be forwarded there when you need it?   :huh:  And I see full-time van dwellers getting Amazon packages on YouTube.  How?!   That leads me to...

#2.  I don't get mail.  I'm debt free.  I have three bills - internet, telephone and electric.  I get my bills, and pay them, online.  That's it.  The only mail I ever get is addressed to Current Resident.  I moved quite a bit before I settled into my hermit life for the last 12 years.  (Longest I've ever been in one spot.)  I accomplished the "no mail ever" feat by never signing up for things and never putting in a change of address.  I always do a Stop Mail request.  That way, I was able to give my address ONLY to the people that needed it.  But, if I don't get mail to be forwarded to me, why spend the money for a mail forwarding service?  It's not a valid residential address for banking or insurance anyway so it pretty much defeats my purpose for having it.  If I'm able to use an RV Park address as a residential address, I wouldn't have a need for the mail forwarding service, would I?  Or is there another benefit I'm just not seeing?

I am full time and I do not use one of these services. I have a PO Box that I use as my address. I am in that town every four months. I also use USPS mail forwarding to a local address when I am visiting folks I know. This winter I will get a PO Box in Arizona for four months and forward my mail there.

If you don’t have any bills or unusual mail, like me, this works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I subscribe to a mail service in Quartzsite AZ. The service collects my mail and sends me an email alert and I can sign on and look at a picture of the envelope. When I'm ready to receive my mail I have him send my mail General Delivery to a post office near where I am currently located. I've also have had mail sent to a street address where I'm located.

I use Quartzsite as my domicile. Arizona has a income tax but there is no emission test in Quartzsite

#2 - All official correspondence from government: federal, state, local, IRS, courts, et.al. is handled through the mail.  You need timely access to that mail as some of it has penalties for not responding in the allotted time.

Jack said:
 Where do they forward your mail to 
They can hold until you contact them to give a current address.

Many will open and scan, some have an automatic option, depends on the service.

> if I don't get mail to be forwarded to me, why spend the money for a mail forwarding service?

So don't.

But there are unknown unknowns.

Long lost friends and lovers?

Jury duty?

Replacement for lost credit card?

Jack said:
I've been hesitant to ask questions about this because I feel stupid not understanding it.  I checked archived threads but haven't found solid answers to scratch this itch.

#1.  I'm assuming only full-timers need a mail forwarding service.  If you're part-time, you have permanent residential address already, unless you're just using a mail forwarder's address in another state to benefit from their tax laws.   So, here's my question:  Where do they forward your mail to if you're living and traveling on the road full-time?  Do you stop at an RV Park somewhere else and request your mail be forwarded there when you need it?   :huh:  And I see full-time van dwellers getting Amazon packages on YouTube.  How?!   That leads me to...

Yes, as a full-timer one needs some way of handling even the small amount of mail that we get - insurance renewals, notifications that your drivers' license is due for renewal, tags the same and of course the feds for income tax returns.

Whether you use a relative like I do, or a professional mail forwarding service depends on what you want to do. Some rent post office boxes for the winter and some depend on general delivery.

All USPS offices will receive general delivery but don't use big city post offices because the mail inevitably ends up at one of the branch offices somewhere where you're not and you end up chasing it. Ehrenberg is by far friendlier than Quartzite - the postmaster at Q is overwhelmed all winter long with up to a 1/4 million snowbirds and has set rather restrictive hours for handing out general delivery mail.

For receiving packages, each town usually as someplace where packages can be received. As I've travelled and needed to receive stuff, I have accumulated quite a list of places that accept packages and mail for you. Amazon ships the most convenient way when they're paying the bill so I've learned to find places that will accept packages from any which way. I have places in Q, Ehrenberg, Cottonwood, Yuma etc. New season I simply check to make sure that they're still in business and let them know that a package is on it's way for me. All charge a really small fee for receiving, I think the most I've paid was $5.00 and that was for the 2 Whynter Fridge units coming in to Yuma.

There is also a business called Kinekpoint. There are franchise locations all over the US where they're business is to receive packages for you. The one in Blaine WA is at a UPS depot. The one I used to use  on Wellesley Island NY was at a lumber yard.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out.

USPS is offering a free service to scan the envelope and send an email of what is in your box. I use USPS.

Jury duty?
If I’m not in town the government can not force me to travel for jury duty. I get the jury duty thing at least three times a year. If I am not in town I don’t call.

I am going to sign up for the email of the envelope service USPS is offering.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

We are fortunate enough to have a friend who allows us to use their address and forwards mail to us. Most of it's junk but we do get income tax information, vehicle registration, passport cards, and other such things that can only be sent through the mail. Our friend sends us a flat rate box 3 or 4 times a year to a post office that accepts General Delivery packages.  Just go to the website for a post office near where you are staying and check to see if they have general delivery.

For Amazon packages, we've started using Amazon Lockers and are very pleased with the way they work. They are mostly in larger cities and once the package arrives you have three days to get it so it takes some planning. Once the package arrives you'll recieve an email with a code. Punch the code in at the bank of lockers and the locker with your package pops opened.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910840

Blanch. I have a USPO box and if I don't visit the PO once a week it is jammed full of advertising crap. Then I get notices that I need get a larger box. How do you deal with the PO box while you are away? Where do live that you can ignore a Jury Notice. I was threatened with arrest if I didn't respond to the second notice.
Jack. We all need a 'legal address' for license, registration, and insurance.

Yes, I have been threatened with penalties about ignoring JD notices.

I used to send a Fax from overseas explaining I was away, the from-number stamp was enough proof.

Maybe a notarized letter? Call and ask.

If you're within a day's drive they may not excuse you.

Weight said:
Blanch. I have a USPO box and if I don't visit the PO once a week it is jammed full of advertising crap. Then I get notices that I need get a larger box. How do you deal with the PO box while you are away? Where do live that you can ignore a Jury Notice. I was threatened with arrest if I didn't respond to the second notice.
Jack. We all need a 'legal address' for license, registration, and insurance.

Three months and my box is pretty full. I get junk mail, but apparently not as much as you do.

Jury duty - here is the thing. You are allowed to be retired and traveling. There is no return receipt on a jury duty notice,the District Attorney has no way of knowing if you received the notice on time. I have merely ignored them, because I don’t get them until the date has passed. I spoke with an assistant district attorney and he said that I can not be penalized as long as I can prove I was out of town. Well I always have gas receipts as proof, grocery store receipts, etc. So I can prove, for legal purposes, that I was not getting my mail, was out of town, didn’t get the notice in time. There are no laws in the USA that require you to return from a trip or vacation to do jury duty.

BS. Each state and local court has their own guidelines for acceptable reasons for being excused, either temporarily or permanently, from jury duty.

You would usually be required to serve another time, but can't just keep postponing.

Federal courts in high-demand locations tend to be less lenient.

Financial hardship are taken into account for long cases, e.g. single parents and primary care providers for ill children, spouses, and relatives.

Basically it's up to the judge, contempt of court does not require a conviction, but usually only five days's jail and/or and a fine of $1,000. 

But lying to get out of it is a felony.

My mail forwarder is in Quartzsite AZ and I've received several notices for jury duty. I just contact them to let them know I'm not in town and they have excused me without any penalty. I wouldn't ignore the notice

I’m not lying. I travel full time and I can prove it. I am also low income and unable to afford to just drive back. I am living this way, full time, over two years. This isn’t lying to get out of jury duty, it is being out of the area when called for duty. In 2 plus years on the road I have seen more than three jury duty notices on my mailbox. I haven’t been threatened or harassed, I’ve called and asked, what I’m doing is legal and absolutely fine.

This discussion has been very helpful for me and I'm looking forward to seeing what other topics come up in it.

I have no family at all and only one really good friend that I would trust with my important papers and to use as a mailing address. Unfortunately, he's here in MN and I intend to cut all ties to this state. I'll figure something out in SD. I'll be spending a whole month there to get to open a bank account, get my drivers license and insurance, establish a mailing address, get a phone number and a library card. That month will also give me time to receive statements from the bank, insurance, phone, etc., to take with me on the road should I need proof of residence. I also want to get to know the area and try to meet people. Who knows, maybe I can meet someone who has a home and, after getting to know them, I could pay them to receive my mail and to use their address.

I didn't think about things like jury duty. I'll check into the SD area's laws on that. I've never been called to jury duty before in my 52 years. But, I can see receiving the very, very occasional piece of government mail for social security statements. We'll see what opportunities turn up when I'm there, I guess.

Again jury duty issues are decided locally, probably county-level out west.

In the end up to the individual judge.

I did not mean to imply anyone is lying, just letting y'all know it can be a serious issue.

Have proof of your current location and income level handy in case you're asked.

And don't forget to vote!

Absentee ballot's fine.

John61CT said:
Have proof of your current location and income level handy in case you're asked.
Proof of income level?  Having never been called for jury duty, I don't understand what income level has to do with jury duty.

Jack said:
Proof of income level?  Having never been called for jury duty, I don't understand what income level has to do with jury duty.

It has nothing to do with jury duty.

Some people just like to create drama online. Call the district attorney office in your area of legal residence and ask about jury duty if you are concerned. I actually did that, I’m actually a nomad, I’ve been to two RTR’s and volunteered to help at my second. I did the AA meetings and the disabled nomad meeting at my travel trailer. Anyone on the internet can offer advice, but a lot of it is rubbish.

Jack said:

Proof of income level is required if you are claiming financial hardship to get out of serving.  Otherwise it is an non-issue.

Requirements vary by federal, state, county, or city court system.  I was going to be out of the country the one time I was called for federal court jury duty.  It was postponed not excused.  I was offered a number of alternate dates and had to choose.

And it is the clerk of court (for each court) you need to talk to.  They are the ones that handle the jury roster not the relevant attorney's office.  They don't get involved until a citation or warrant is issued by the court.

But to answer your original question: jury duty notices are delivered by mail.  The notice will have instructions on how to ask for a waiver and a time limit for responding.  Best not to ignore.  If you do not have any personal mail you are interested in, government correspondence is about the only thing I can think of that would be time critical.