Maiden Voyage and all tank sensors gone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelinmyblood

Reaction score
Apologies if this is a repeat post.  I've scoured the internet for answers but all info relates to cleaning the sensors.  My tanks are clean and the sensors as well.  The levels for all tanks (fresh, grey and black) no longer show when I check levels.  Just the battery level shows.  I've checked all fuses, and they are fine.  Does someone have any insight into what else could be wrong? I have a 2005 Okanagan camper van on a Ford E-250 chassis. Thank you for any insight ... this is all new to me.

Reuben J Cogburn said:
Hi Travelin'.
Is there a manufacturer name for the tank monitoring system? (SeeLevel, KIB,  etc.)
Sometimes the company puts out support documents for their systems, including troubleshooting.
Like these guys  https://www.garnetinstruments.com/support-documents/

Hi Reuben, and thank you for taking the time to reply.  I actually looked for that, and there is no name on the front of the panel- it's completely blank.  I'm beat for this evening, but tomorrow I'll see if I can remove the panel and see anything on the back.  I just don't know what sort of things might throw the sensor panel out of whack.  Thank you for responding.  I really appreciate the effort, especially being new to this, it's a bit daunting :)

If all three are out at the same time, it sounds like it could be a ground connection fault.

I agree with sky4rk. if they all stopped working, something is up with the control panel. big help aren't we. highdesertranger

Never trust the bloody things anyway. I have a new trailer and the Blackwater tank indicator is already wildly inaccurate. Between boats and this and the fact that tank sensors are notoriously, sometimes grossly inaccurate, I disregard the sensors. My tanks all have the same capacity (45 gallons). I fill up my water tank right after I dump my tanks. As long as I still have water, I know I haven't filled up my grey water tank. As far as the blackwater tank, I'm able to visualize the level by looking down into the open toilet valve.. Toilet paper goes in a separate bin. The two of us have gone as long 24 and 25 days without running out of freshwater and filling up the grey/blackwater tanks.

We rarely use the trailer shower and buy drinking water separately. We've done extensive tent camping and I'm able to wash a sinkful of dishes in a liter of water, so we are able to conserve greatly.
Ted

Thank you to everyone who replied.  I REALLY appreciate the information.

The lead about the ground seems to be the direction I should explore.  I called an RV repair shop and he came to the same conclusion, since my battery level is working, and the other two buttons on the panel (hot water tank primer and the pump) are working.  Can anyone give me any info about 'the ground'.  I found a bit of info on the internet, but not a lot.  I understand that the ground is the lowest sensor on the tank, and when I press the button to find the level, I am adding the 'hot' and the sensor button will light up.   Is there one ground for each tank (fresh, grey and black) and then all three tanks are somehow connected?  Since all three of my tanks are not registering, I'm assuming they are somehow connected to each other?   

Again, any info would be appreciated.  I am trying to figure this out in hopes that I can repair it myself...if possible.  Thanks :)

Check your fuses.

Open up the panel and look for bad connections.

Use a voltmeter or continuity tester to see if you have power àt the switches.

Trace the wires and keep looking for bad connections.

I've had those on 3 or 4 campers in the past.Never had them to work right.I just look in my toilet to see how full the tank is.

skyl4rk said:
Check your fuses.

Open up the panel and look for bad connections.

Use a voltmeter or continuity tester to see if you have power àt the switches.

Trace the wires and keep looking for bad connections.

Thanks again everyone.  I think I agree that the more simple the system, the better off I will be, however for now, I have a van with a sensor system.  

Question Skyl4rk.  I had checked the fuses, all good.  I had removed the panel and checked connections, all good.  I would like to check if I have power at the switch, and I do have a multi-meter, but I assume I have to be able to pull off the thing that is attached to the panel, in order to check for current.  I tugged lightly on them, but they don't come off, and I don't want to do more damage than good.  I think I will end up taking this to an RV tech, but as a last ditch attempt, here is a photo of the panel.  The black and red wires on the bottom right are to the water pump.  It works fine.  The yellow and black wires are to the electric start for the water heater.  It works fine.  The two orange buttons on the bottom left are the ones that I assume are giving me the problem.  Since the toggle switch that these two orange buttons are attached to runs both the battery sensor and the tank sensors, I will assume that one is a problem.  The battery sensor is working, the tank sensors are not.  I would like to test if I have power to these buttons, but I assume I need to remove them to get to the 'live wire' in order to do that, and I don't know how to remove these.  Also, I am a novice, and want to do this safely, so if I were to get to the live wire part, what am I supposed to touch to the wire.  I read that you touch one end of the multi meter probe to the wire, and the other to a ground?  Is this correct and, if so, what would constitute a ground?  Sorry, I know I am sounding boarder line dangerous here....but I love to learn....safely, that is.  I have read that there are tools that will tell you if the wire is live 'through the insulation' but I don't have one of them.  Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20180619_163317.jpg
    20180619_163317.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180619_163650.jpg
    20180619_163650.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180619_163859.jpg
    20180619_163859.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 7
take those 2 black wires on the level test switch and jump them together. see what happens. I would jump them at that red connector where they plug into the board. also check the red wire in the same plug it should be hot. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
take those 2 black wires on the level test switch and jump them together.  see what happens.  I would jump them at that red connector where they plug into the board.  also check the red wire in the same plug it should be hot.  highdesertranger
Thank you, but how do I jump them together when I can't get the 'orange' peg off the control board?  I can't pull it off, so I can't get to the wire?  Sorry if I sound stupid :)

highdesertranger said:
take those 2 black wires on the level test switch and jump them together.  see what happens.  I would jump them at that red connector where they plug into the board.  also check the red wire in the same plug it should be hot.  highdesertranger

Thanks highdesert, I think I figured out what you were saying (duh) and ignored the orange clips and went to the red 'lego' plug.  I touched the red wire with the positive clip of the multimeter and the far right black wire with the negative clip on the multimeter.  It registered 12.5 volts.  I then did the same thing with the left black wire, and it registered .4 volts.  Then just for fun I touched the left black wire with the positive of the multitmeter and the right black wire with the negative of the multimeter.  I got 12 volts when I did that.  For 2 seconds I thought this told me the left black wire was the culprit, but when i lifted it off the switch (I was able to lift the orange clip) I lost the ability to see the battery levels, so it seems that both orange clips are required to see the battery.  I also switched the position of the orange clips and it still only showed the battery signals.  I thought I was beginning to understand what this process determined, but now I'm not sure.  If you have any further insight great.  If not I think I'll have to take to the RV guy, but he's a lottta money.  Thanks again,

To test if maybe the switch is bad, move the two black wires to where the yellow on black wires are connected. Turn that switch on and off to see if they work then. Put back where they belong after determining switch good/bad.

B and C said:
To test if maybe the switch is bad, move the two black wires to where the yellow on black wires are connected.  Turn that switch on and off to see if they work then.  Put back where they belong after determining switch good/bad.

Thank you for your reply Brian, I should have thought of that.  I moved them around and it appears the switch is fine.