Made it to RTR - almost. Broke down at Arco station.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
My custom truck house made it all the way here, then the tranny went when I got off the interstate. I'm sure of it. Anyone willing to pull me 1 mile to Best Auto RV/truck repair? I have the strap. Could do it at night to avoid traffic. It's a manual.

They said they'd have to dispatch a truck from their central location to tow me because of the size of the truck. Seems like a lot for 1 mile.

Attachments

• 20190109_170655~2.jpg
    20190109_170655~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Wow, that sucks. Best of luck. I'm a couple of hundred miles away so can't help. Someone will be along.

Yes, it does suck a bit. I'll get it figured out one way or another though.

Somewhat good news, I'm now fairly certain it's the transfer case, not the transmission itself. Still will need tow and repair.

If its the transfer case, is it possible to determine if either just the front or rear output work? If so isolate the problem end. Say for example, if the front drive works but the gears to the rear have an issue, it may be possible to put it in 4 wheel and then remove the rear drive shaft so that only the front is pulling and the rear is rolling free. Of course doing this would require that the transfer case use yokes that allow the drive shaft to be unbolted, not spines that slide out.

Maybe a long shot but something to think about. This is an old emergency trail fix in Jeeping circles to get out when theres an issue in front or back.

Had the same thought, Plant! No dice. Neither the front or rear drive shaft turn in 4hi or 4lo. Plenty of crunchy gnashing metal noises emanate from the tcase when attempting this. The gnashing noises are louder and faster when putting the transmission in a higher gear. This is how I know it's the tcase. And I think it's good and shredded inside.

bullfrog just stopped by and said he's willing to tow me later this evening! That's good news.

Props to bullfrog! Good luck w/ the repair. Not sure if I'm coming out, from Mesa, this weekend but let us know if you need items from Phx area. Might be a good excuse to get off my butt.

Yep, that's be the transfer case! Found this hole at the top of it near where it connects to transmission. If anyone knows a source to get a tcase near Quartzsite/Phoenix area, let me know. Otherwise I'm at the mercy of this Best Auto repair place.
2001 F450 manual 6sp 4wd 7.3l

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-10-13-02-54.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-13-02-54.png
    512.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2019-01-10-13-03-08.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-13-03-08.png
    938.5 KB · Views: 18
That sorta narrows it down... nothing a bit of money can’t fix, good luck with that, new rig looks nice, that is a bit of a change of image, what happened to the Dodge, how long have you had that one, did you build it???

Did some calling around. Shops between Yuma and Phoenix claim that the closest tcase like this in their parts system is in Wisconsin.

Jasper quoted me $2,200 to build one and send it out.

Then I found a dude by the name of Kirby Kappes in Morehead KY who says he will build one tomorrow and send it out to me for $879 +$75 shipping. Sounds like my best deal. He also advised me this is 100% caused by driveline vibration and to have my drive shafts looked at before going anywhere far. It is true I've had driveline vibration.

flying kurbmaster said:
That sorta narrows it down... nothing a bit of money can’t fix, good luck with that, new rig looks nice, that is a bit of a change of image, what happened to the Dodge, how long have you had that one, did you build it???

I did build it! Bought the truck in June, spent all my evenings and weekends building it... it's my upgraded house on wheels. The Dodge is parked for now. I'll sell it in the spring most likely.

I made a thread on the truck build a little bit ago. I've done more since.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=34125

Tow mission success! And he refused to take any payment. Thanks again bullfrog.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-10-18-49-22.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-18-49-22.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2019-01-10-18-49-25.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-18-49-25.png
    938 KB · Views: 29
Good to hear TMG. Hope it all goes smoothly.

I decided to get a head start on the labor. We'll see how much the shop likes me in the morning.

Lots of good crunchy bits inside there. I don't think there's any oil in it either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-48-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-48-40.png
    603.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-49-00.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-49-00.png
    603.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-48-53.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-10-22-48-53.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Hey there "neighbor" we are in the rig next to you (got towed here a few days ago and are waiting for parts).
We heard you getting that head start and were wondering what was going on! ;)
Hope the folks from the shop will be able to help you in the morning!

Let me know if we can help you out with anything.
I may head over to the RTR site later in the day if you need a ride.

So that's who's over there! I saw your RV and wondered if you might be here for the RTR.

I'll have to see what's going on with the people at the shop, and with ordering my new tcase, but after that if timing works out I might take you up on that ride. Thanks for the offer. Will catch up in the morning.

I hope that you get on the road soon. There is late night hunting to be done. LOL

dang bummer. so are you in Q? that looks like a standard NP-241 transfer case, is it? sorry I just saw this thread Jim told me about it. did you order a T-case? PM on the way. highdesertranger

TMG51 said:
So that's who's over there! I saw your RV and wondered if you might be here for the RTR.

I'll have to see what's going on with the people at the shop, and with ordering my new tcase, but after that if timing works out I might take you up on that ride. Thanks for the offer. Will catch up in the morning.
Just knocked on your door, but you are probably out and about.

We'll be heading over to RTR site within the next 20-30 minutes or so.
Feel free to come over if you'd like a ride.

Latest posts