Low wattage heat gun capable of 350F?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primal1

Reaction score
I'm going to be forced to be mobile in about 10 days, we had planned on a few more months but things didn't go that way. I make kydex sheaths and holsters and use a heat gun that draws 1800W which is way more than I can afford solar and an inverter to run. I do the main heating in an camp chef oven but need the heat gun for detail molding.

I just discovered the embossing heat guns that draw 300w and they might just work but I thought check and see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Moxadox said:
Can you use a generator?

I'd have to buy it, and if I have to, I will but we're on a shoestring budget at the moment. I'm hunting every option before spending the cash we have.  We had to buy the vehicle and everything to go on the road and we're about wiped out.

If I can find a low wattage heat gun I can get by for a few months on a small inverter and battery until we can recoup some cash and upgrade to a better system.

According to our Kill a watt, my dremels and grinders should all run on a 300w inverter and 65AH marine dual purpose starting battery we installed.  I'll be upgrading to a golf cart battery bank and solar panels once we recover from the vehicle purchase. So in the meantime I'm trying to find a heat gun we can run for a few minutes on each piece so we can keep working as we go from Tampa to Denver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Primal1 said:
I'm going to be forced to be mobile in about 10 days, we had planned on a few more months but things didn't go that way. I make kydex sheaths and holsters and use a heat gun that draws 1800W which is way more than I can afford solar and an inverter to run. I do the main heating in an camp chef oven but need the heat gun for detail molding.

I just discovered the embossing heat guns that draw 300w and they might just work but I thought check and see if anyone had any other suggestions.
What about a butane heat gun?
[img=223x223]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41+FM472exL._SY450_.jpg[/img]Micro Therm Flameless Heat Gun

Also check out MAPP gas or propane.

High heating temp and low energy consumption are opposites.

Need to compromise on electric usage unless you go to a very expensive solar setup on a very large roof area.

There are little $10 200-300w space heaters that are really hot up close. Since they stand up you could put the item in front of it to maintain or increase heat.

I have a small Bernz-o-matic butane torch that burns with no open flame. I use it for heat shrink cable ends. I bought it at Home Depot.

For how long do you need 1800 watts? If only for short spurts an appropriately sized inverter will work. Do note when you are doing your math that rated watts are not close to real world production.