low profile mattress for two question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinko

Reaction score
Technically, I have a ford aerostar minivan and not a pickup truck, but the way I've outfitted the back is very similar to how I"ve seen most pickup truck setups. &nbsp;That is one sleeping platform that takes up the entire back and storage underneath. &nbsp;I'm 6'3" and would like to be able to sit up in bed. &nbsp;<br><br>So, long story short. &nbsp;I'm looking for some kind of pad or mattress-type-thing that:<br>-fits in the back of an aerostar<br>-provides half decent support<br>-is not too thick (as to save head room)<br>-is cheap<br>-is big enough for two<br><br>I'm thinking some kind of foam? &nbsp;Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I built my bed with what I already had ... a .75" thick therm-a-rest pad and a 2" thick cot mattress (foam).&nbsp; If I were to buy new, I'd get a 2.5" thick therm-a-rest pad.&nbsp; It comes in various&nbsp;widths and will also keep you warm (from the bottom).&nbsp; Here's a link at REI: <a href="http://www.rei.com/product/830684/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad" rel="nofollow">http://www.rei.com/product/830684/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad</a>.&nbsp; <br><br>There's less expensive clones that may work too.&nbsp; Ex: <a href="http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=519503" rel="nofollow">http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=519503</a>&nbsp;(tho' not sure about their comfort or r-value)<br><br>Suanne ... who loves the bed in her car

Thanks Suanne, but we have a pretty limited budget. &nbsp;Think closer to $50. &nbsp;Should have mentioned that. &nbsp;Comfort is more important to us than insulation. &nbsp;We'll be traveling with the weather and we have lots of experience sleeping out in the elements. &nbsp;We just need something thin/cheap/comfy to sleep on.

My last two mattress pads came from an upholstery shop. They use a high quality "furniture-grade" foam that is designed to be sat in and not crushed down. Nearly all of them will cut a piece any size you ask for. My first one was 5 inches thick and that was way too thick. My second was is 4 inches thick and it is better but I think 3 inches would be fine.&nbsp;<br><br>This isn't cheap crap foam, it is high quality. My 4 inch thick piece was $80 so maybe a 3 inch thick would be in your price range. <br><br>Look up upholstery shops in the yellow pages.<br>Bob

Thanks Bob! &nbsp;That sounds perfect. &nbsp;Is it pretty comfortable? &nbsp;Also, what do I ask the shop for specifically?

Yes! It is very comfortable!<br><br>Tell them you are making a mattress for a bed and you want furniture grade foam. Ask him his opinion on what is the least thickness that will work for you. I know 4 inches will work great, but I think 3 would be okay as well.&nbsp; <br>Bob

Stinko....I do the same as Bob...as it turns out there are many grades of firmness made in foam as well as many kinds and grades of foam.<br>I buy mine at an Upholsterer's Supply in Albuquerque&nbsp; where they will cut and or split anything you need.<br><br>In our FourWheel pop-up camper there is only an allowance for a 1 1/2" of foam...the queen size mattress&nbsp; is in two pieces that stack when stored .....any thicker and the top won't come down and latch..it was made that way...I think they allow for a thicker mattress&nbsp; in the new campers.<br><br>Anyway, I told the guy my application and he took a 3" thick piece of firm foam and split it to make two pieces of 1 1/2" foam and cut them to the size I needed on the other dimensions.....<br><br>As Bob says, I was not cheap...I am thinking about $100 but it is perfect. While it is firm, we both sleep very well on it.<br><br>I think you could get it for less if it didn't need all the cutting, etc.<br><br>It is better to spend a few more bucks on a quality bed up front than to be uncomfortable and need to replace the mattress later...at least to my way of thinking...<br><br>2 or 3" should be luxurious...the main thing is that it gives you good sleep.<br>Good luck,<br>Bri

I would second the recommendation for a Therm-a-rest. If comfort is the priority, probably the "DreamTime" which runs about $150-200 and weighs about 5 pounds. but you can find it on sale if you know where to look. If/when I ever turn to van living, one thing I will NOT have is a permanent bed. What a waste of space (and weight) when a Therm-a-rest will do. I've been sleeping on a $30 RidgeRest that is .5" inches thick and 72"X20" for 5 years. Just roll it up and put it away when you are done. Indestructable. Combine it with a lightweight down quilt and your entire "bed" weighs about two pounds. Trust me, you get used to it. You vandwellers should check out the forums at backpackinglight.com sometime for some good ideas on how to go lightweight and compact.

I like my memory foam mattress.&nbsp; It is expensive but I'm a big guy that needs cush.&nbsp; I have an over kill mattress of about 8 inches and smile everytime I get into bed.&nbsp; You spend about half your life in bed so make it blissful.

Just bought a 3" thick pad of foam. &nbsp;$75. &nbsp;Thanks everybody!!

A long time ago I was building a van bed. I went to a fabric and foam shop that was near my town. I was after a 4 inch slab of foam. The mechanic said that thicker foam is harder (to rest on) and he recommended 1 inch. I was skeptical and settled for 2 inch thick. Quality marine foam. I don't remember the cost. The 2 inch was fine and I do believe I could have used thinner stuff.

that's how I feel now. &nbsp;I feel like I could of gone with 1" or 1 1/2" and it might be even be more comfy, but I reckon the 3" will last longer. &nbsp;well maybe.