Loves is refusing showers.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WanderingWillow57 said:
I DO blame them. That argument that they're called a "truck stop" no longer flies. The mere fact that they have gas pumps that no 18 wheeler can pump gas at, and they have drive up windows for fast food businesses connected to their buildings that no 18 wheeler can pull up to, is all I need to know that they are actively marketing to 4 wheelers as well. So it appears they want our money but do not want to provide us the same services they offer to truckers...even though we are also paying for showers.
Loves was my favorite place to go, but now they will no longer get my money.

they are private businesses and owe us nothing. we are not entitled to anything special. gas pumps that cant fit an 18 wheeler may be there to sell gas to the average car driver. most of which have no desire to take a shower.

the part you have right, is vote with you wallet/purse if you dont like their services dont give them your money.

if you want to be pro active about it. go in and ask, if you are denied a shower. then tell them politely that you will then take your business elsewhere. and when you find a shop that lets you use the facilities. thank them, do a little extra shopping and let them know you appreciate it.

in either case you can even go one step further and write/email corporate with a case specific thank you or complaint.

as van dwellers/nomads or what ever we choose to call ourselves we need to understand and accept that we are in the minority. we do need to be noticed, but in a good and positive way. whining and acting like entitled children does not shed a good light on all of us.

acting responsibly and getting noticed as a small but real part of the market is what will cast a positive light on who we are and encourage companies to welcome our patronage

I still have not read where another person has been denied a shower anywhere. This seems to be a new member one person report that everyone is jumping on.

good point B and C

OP with only 5 post, only one in the last year with no supporting links or info

we as a minority group of people still need to think about how we represent our selves. acting entitled still sheds a bad light on our lifestyle. for other similar real problems, showing we are a real market share will do better to change things in the future

Am I missing something here?

15 months ago a person comes on here starts a topic with the claim that loves refused him service to take a shower. No indication as to state or city. It continues with the claim that corporate treated him badly.

What surprised me is that no one questioned anything he claimed. Is it possible that the OP was the one at fault? In my experience anyone that enters a business with a pompous, arrogant, prima donna, attitude will usually get refused service. As well they should be. Or is this a very fine example of what is known on the forums as a troll. Come in, stir up some trouble, leave.

In the 15 months since the start of the thread no one has been able to find any evidence to substantiate the original claim. In the 45 years since I got out of the service I have traveled extensively. When I felt the need that a truck stop could fulfil I went there. I think I've been to every major brand that now exists and a lot of little tiny independents. I have never been refused service, and have only been treated with courtesy.

Could someone please explain to me, what am I missing? Why is this topic even still being debated?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

i saw it as even worse, i took the op to mean they had just heard of the problem and called about it. but ya, i dont think you missed anything... lol

This thread was started 4/23/19, about 10 weeks ago, and the OP didn’t report he had been denied a shower at Love’s, or even that he knew first hand that this had happened.

Could have been someone from FlyingJ or some other competitor, seeking to spread rumors and damage Love’s business.

We need to watch ourselves about jumping onto negatives and running with them, whatever they may be.

Too easy to catastrophize, minus facts and evidence something is actually true.

Just my opinion.

@WanderingRose.

My bad. Sitting in the sun and trying to see that date - I really believed it read 2018.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I just take my 5 gallon portable camping shower bag into the restroom and fill it at the faucet that's my free shower

If enough of us call Lowe’s and ask the question I bet they will change their policy...also social media like Twitter (using @lowes will copy them in) effects change very nicely.

I can see some places doing this in the usual trucking lanes. The drivers have limited time to stop and still make their schedules. The new electronic logs and drive time rules really work against them. Let them have those places and amenities and go elsewhere. I personally wouldn't want to shower there anyway, kinda gross places, some of them.
If they attract more 18 wheelers, so much the better for them. Trading a guy with a 20 gallon gas fill up for a trucker with a 100 gallon+ diesel fill up is a business decision.

I still haven't seen a report other than by one person at one Loves. Maybe it was the one person and not general?

There must be some discretion (or employee confusion) as I just recently stopped at many Love's across the midwest in several different states and was always welcomed.
They always ask which trucking firm I am with probably for corporate billing or discounts???? but I just said I am not with a company and was still welcomed.

And I usually arrived late around 9 pm and never had to wait to get a shower.
Plus you almost always have a place to stay overnite and the bonus of fresh coffee in the morning. Maybe I just look (or smell) like a trucker and snuck by Lol.

Must be a regional or demand thing. I stopped at a Love's in Van TX and paid for dumping my tanks and a shower with absolutely no hiccups. My son lives here so pretty important that they are kind to me. I don't want to visit my son all smelly and stuff.

this thread is 8 months old and I still read it as,

love is, refusing to shower. LOL, dang. highdesertranger

I used to pay them 10 to 12 dollars because my 1 ton didnt carry 100 gals which gets a free shower ticket. I would think as long as they are collecting money they would be fine.