Lots of questing before I start to build for full time!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreadHeadDrifter

Reaction score
Hello hello! So I have been throwing a list together of things I would like to install in my van before I am ready to hit the road full time. I have been doing some more short term camping and little trips but have not yet converted my van fully. (Insulation, solar, ect..) I have a few questions I would like to ask, along with a list of supplies and my calculated cost for said supplies. If anyone has similar information or prices that they can share I would love to learn from you. I am trying to calculate how much this conversion will cost me and will post my list after these quick questions!

So! I only have a single 100 Watt Solar Panel as of now, it is a Renogy Panel and came with the starter pack of wiring, harness clamps, and a charge controller, I am going to be trying to power a 1.1 Cubic Foot Grape Solar fridge (Do you think 1.1cf is too small?), my laptop charger(may consider moving to a tablet is power consumption is too great), phone charger, Fantastic Vent 5000, and some cheap LED lights for at night. Is this possible off a single 100 Watt Panel, or should I try and upgrade and get another 100 Watt?

Also, what is the cheapest battery you would recommend that is decent quality for solar, I see in several threads people dropping upwards of $300 per battery and that is a little out of my price range, would I be better off having more battery bank power, or more solar panels?

Okay now that the questions are out of the way, here is a list of things (very guesstimated) that I expect the cost to be, kinda ball parked. If you have, or can remember what your cost was I would love to get your information to help make my list more accurate to calculate my finances.

Fantastic Vent 5000- $152.90
Reflectix for van walls, ceiling and floor- $100
Reflectix Tape for seams and cracks- $20
Vapor Barrier for walls- $20 , its like .11 per square foot.
Foam board insulation for walls, ceiling and floor- $70
Hardwood flooring(the cheap kind at home depot) -$37
Spray can foam insulation- $12
Plywood for floor before hardwood floors are installed- $22

This concludes my insulation, flooring, and ventilation section of my list, this are the very first things I plan on doing after the van is gutted.

Next I have the rest of my list:

Fridge- Grape Solar 1.1 Cu Foot Fridge $498.56 (Couldnt find anything cheaper :/ )
Solar Battery- $169.00 12V 90AH Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Battery - Is one enough?
Lighting- Solar LED light strip -$10.99  ;  12V Led Lighting Strip - $24.99
Bedding- 7Inch Foam Mattress from Amazon - $100 ( Any recommendations?)
Bed Frame- Several 2inch by 4inch boards and plywood- $50 ( Any advice on how to secure to van frame? )
Window Blackouts- Cut reflectix to fit windows, glue to foam insulation board. -$20
Fuses- I have no idea what necessary fuses/electrical breakers I would need to safely wire everything, any advice?
Carbon M detector-
Water Tanks- Three 5 Gallon Plastic Water jugs - $14.99 x3
Water Pump- Battery Powered bug sprayer -$24.99
Sink- Stainless steel mixing bowl -$19.99
Spare Tire Bike Rack- $49.99

This is my list, I already have several things like a power inverter, solar shower, roof rack, and other necessary things. I really appreciate any and all the help I can get because I want to do this right the first time and help cut costs as much as possible. Right now I am looking at roughly $1,447.43. I know to some people that is nothing to spend on a home and could be just one months rent but to me it is a LOT! I was trying to cut cost to around $1,000 for the initial conversion and I know I can go way under that if I cut out the fancy things like the solar panels, battery and fridge. But I want to be as comfortable as possible and figure after 4 months of living in the van everything will pay for itself.

If you have made it this far into my thread I would like to thank you for reading, I can honestly say that I have read almost every single thread in the Van section of the forums over the past few months and have learned so much. I plan to pass on all of my knowledge to others some day when they are just starting out full time like myself. Once I get a final budget set, I will begin my build and document every step of it through youtube, as well as these wonderful forums! I plan to start my build in the next few days if my prices check out and everything looks good, feedback is very appreciated. Thanks again!!!

Some thoughts:

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Fantastic Vent 5000- $152.90  I just have non-powered vents for $35 and use portable fans inside. You can always add a Fantastic Fan later if you still need it  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Reflectix for van walls, ceiling and floor- $100 Reflectix in the walls, ceiling and floor is money flushed down the toilet. All you need is Polyiso, everything else is wasted.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Reflectix Tape for seams and cracks- $20 No need without the Reflectix but you can use it for the stryofoam instead.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Vapor Barrier for walls- $20 , its like .11 per square foot. Buy styrofoam or Polyiso with aluminium foil on one side and plastic on the other, no need for a vapor barrier. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Foam board insulation for walls, ceiling and floor- $70 This is what you want!!! Polyiso is best!![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Spray can foam insulation- $12 Not recommended, causes rust.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Bob[/font]

I'm afraid all I can address from experience is the mattress. I bought a Signature Sleep from Amazon a year and a half ago, and I've been very happy with it. The twin size is about $80 right now on Amazon (I have Prime so there was no shipping charge...check to see if there is one if you are not a Prime member). I got this one instead of the 8" Contour (which is the top selling mattress on Amazon), because my bed is more narrow than a regular twin size. The two kinds of foam that make up my mattress were extremely easy to cut through with an electric carving knife!

I bought the fancier 8" contour by Signature Sleep for my mother recently and she loves it. From the diagram of that mattress, I was not sure how easily one could cut the width and length without hurting the overall structure -- I just could not tell.

You seem to have a pretty thorough list. You may be able to find a few things at a thrift store or Craigslist or a Restore (on the building items) to save even more.

akrvbob said:
Some thoughts:

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Fantastic Vent 5000- $152.90  I just have non-powered vents for $35 and use portable fans inside. You can always add a Fantastic Fan later if you still need it  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Reflectix for van walls, ceiling and floor- $100 Reflectix in the walls, ceiling and floor is money flushed down the toilet. All you need is Polyiso, everything else is wasted.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Reflectix Tape for seams and cracks- $20 No need without the Reflectix but you can use it for the stryofoam instead.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Vapor Barrier for walls- $20 , its like .11 per square foot. Buy styrofoam or Polyiso with aluminium foil on one side and plastic on the other, no need for a vapor barrier. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Foam board insulation for walls, ceiling and floor- $70 This is what you want!!! Polyiso is best!![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Spray can foam insulation- $12 Not recommended, causes rust.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Bob[/font]

Wow, I always thought Reflectix was the one must have thing, I have seen videos of people insulating vans with only reflectix and nothing else. lol Because of your extensive experience living this lifestlye, especially in more sun bearing desert like areas, I am going to take your advice, because cutting one or two hundred bucks off my budget works wonders right now and reflectix installation seems like a pretty time consuming project. ( With all the cutting, fitting, and glueing involved. ) My concern was that I am not just trying to stay comfortable in one type of weather. i am going to be in multiple different climates, warm and cold. I am in Georgia right now and we have some pretty crazy weather, and plan on spending this winter at the beach, and taking a trip to Colorado to go snowboarding. I figured playing it safe with multiple kinds of insulation would pay for itself because I wont have to go back and redo it at a later time.  Basically where I am going with this is:
Do you just Polyiso?
Are you exposed to both warm (90 degrees +) climates and below freezing as well? Does the insulation you recommend perform better in one climate over another? This to me is the absolute most important part of my conversion so I appreciate all the help I can get to make this a successful project. Thanks again bob!

Reflectix.  That is great for using in the windshield.  

I have 2 pieces 4 foot long each, with a slit for the Rear View Mirror. They are cut to fit with the shades down holding them.  Slide one in on the left, and the other on the right overlapping.  Presto, sun and dark shades!

WriterMs said:
I'm afraid all I can address from experience is the mattress. I bought a Signature Sleep from Amazon a year and a half ago, and I've been very happy with it. The twin size is about $80 right now on Amazon (I have Prime so there was no shipping charge...check to see if there is one if you are not a Prime member).  I got this one instead of the 8" Contour (which is the top selling mattress on Amazon), because my bed is more narrow than a regular twin size. The two kinds of foam that make up my mattress were extremely easy to cut through with an electric carving knife!

I bought the fancier 8" contour by Signature Sleep for my mother recently and she loves it. From the diagram of that mattress, I was not sure how easily one could cut the width and length without hurting the overall structure -- I just could not tell.

You seem to have a pretty thorough list. You may be able to find a few things at a thrift store or Craigslist or a Restore (on the building items) to save even more.

Thank you for your input! A bed is a very important item for me, a good nights rest is crucial! I am looking for a mattress that I could cut to fit my custom bed frame so something that can be cut without hurting the structure is ideal. With your signature sleep, when you are sitting up, can you feel the underside of the mattress pad with your butt? I do not know what the best thickness is but I will be spending some time sitting on my bed and want to make sure that a little pressure wont compress the foam too much and be uncomfortable.

I have spent a decent chunk of time writing out my list, along with pages of other notes to help along the way. I do like your idea of using craigslist and thrift stores, maybe I will be able to find a 12v fridge that isnt $500 on craigslist lol every bit saved ads up. Thanks again for the advice!

Do some reading on the solar.  With what you are describing, I estimate 200W of panels, and at least 200 AH of batteries.

The electrical system can be done for about $150 if you are using the Alternator as a backup charging system.  Not including batteries.  Where will you put them? AGM or flooded?

GotSmart said:
Do some reading on the solar.  With what you are describing, I estimate 200W of panels, and at least 200 AH of batteries.

The electrical system can be done for about $150 if you are using the Alternator as a backup charging system.  Not including batteries.  Where will you put them? AGM or flooded?

Yes I definitely have a lot to learn still in the solar department. I know how to do a basic setup but am not sure how to determine power consumption and power needs. I just figured 200 Watts would be ideal, but thats another $169.00 -ish just for another panel.

In your experience, what can 200AH of batteries be acquired for?

I would like to use the alternator as a backup charging system, but do not know enough about running electric wires to do this as of now, i am definitely interested in learning though and will research this.

I plan on putting them in a little cabinet I will build behind the drivers seat, that will also include the charge controller and power inverter.  I am looking for something that will need minimal ventilation. I have no problem having to cut a hole to create proper ventilation, but I hear these sealed batteries require none?

Thanks for your help!

DreadHeadDrifter said:
I plan on putting them in a little cabinet I will build behind the drivers seat, that will also include the charge controller and power inverter. 

Every manual I've ever seen for inverters or charge controllers, or battery chargers or anything like that, have ALL said DO NOT install them inside the battery compartment.

They do, of course, need to be as close to the batteries as possible.  Was me, I'd design it so they were mounted to the outside of the battery cabinet.

Best bang for your buck, battery-wise, is said to be two 6 volt golf cart batteries, wired together in series for 12 volts, from places like Walmart or Costco.

Plan to use good, solid battery mount trays inside the cabinet, mounted THROUGH the van's floor with strong bolts and nuts, loctited so they don't come loose.  You DON'T want those puppies to be able to move.

When you design your battery cabinet, remember that you need to make it as easy as possible to get frequent access to the tops so you can check and add water and use a good battery hydrometer.

Regards
John

Regards
John

DreadHeadDrifter said:
Wow, I always thought Reflectix was the one must have thing, I have seen videos of people insulating vans with only reflectix and nothing else. lol 

Do you just Polyiso?

Are you exposed to both warm (90 degrees +) climates and below freezing as well? Does the insulation you recommend perform better in one climate over another? This to me is the absolute most important part of my conversion so I appreciate all the help I can get to make this a successful project. Thanks again bob!

Reflectix is the most misunderstood thing in all of vandwelling. Because it works so well when put in windows we just assume it will work great everywhere else--but it won't. In a window it reflects the radiant heat from the sun right back out the window very, very well. It only reflects radiant heat and when when pressed up against the wall of a van there is no radiant heat.  

You can use either styrofoam or Polyiso depending on your budget. The Polyiso has a higher R Value so its your best choice but styrofoam is almost as good. 

Where I'm camped in the desert it's been around 32 degrees for a couple weeks now and I've camped many times into the teens and twenties. I'll stay here until March when it will get into the mid-90s and that's too hot so I will leave.

Styrofoam or Polyiso is what you want.
Bob

One thing you might consider is waiting to get the fridge until you have some more money saved. Get a cooler from a thrift store, add some extra insulation and use it for a few months and when your cash builds up get a compressor fridge.

I totally recommend one, but it's not that bad to throw some money away on ice for a few months while you save money.
Bob

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Every manual I've ever seen for inverters or charge controllers, or battery chargers or anything like that, have ALL said DO NOT install them inside the battery compartment.

They do, of course, need to be as close to the batteries as possible.  Was me, I'd design it so they were mounted to the outside of the battery cabinet.

Best bang for your buck, battery-wise, is said to be two 6 volt golf cart batteries, wired together in series for 12 volts, from places like Walmart or Costco.

Plan to use good, solid battery mount trays inside the cabinet, mounted THROUGH the van's floor with strong bolts and nuts, loctited so they don't come loose.  You DON'T want those puppies to be able to move.

When you design your battery cabinet, remember that you need to make it as easy as possible to get frequent access to the tops so you can check and add water and use a good battery hydrometer.

Regards
John

Regards
John

Oops, I mean the cabinet would be for the batteries to go inside, and the charge controller and inverter would be on top of the cabinet. I am definitely going to look into getting two golf cart batteries, I have heard before that they are the best way to go price wise. I feel like golf cart batteries are meant to take a beating charge wise so they will last awhile.

As far as battery mounts go I had not really put much thought into that, and I am glad you mentioned it because thats important. I have added that to my supplies list.

Thanks for sharing John I definitely got some helpful information from your post!

VJG1977 said:
Fridge- Grape Solar 1.1 Cu Foot Fridge $498.56 that coverts to about 33-quarts Does not have the best reviews.

Amazon has this Whynter FM-45G 45-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer, Platinum  for Price: $445.00
But you will most likely need another 100w solar and double the battery.

Ah yess! Thank you for showing me this, I was kind of hesitant to go with a Grape Solar, I have never heard of anybody having one, and havn't seen very many reviews or youtube videos reviewing them. With the Whynter I get more space, and save $50!

I do have a question, they both seem to use the same amount of power, what makes you think I would need more solar and battery to run the Whynter over the Grape Solar? Is it because it is slightly larger? Thanks!

akrvbob said:
Reflectix is the most misunderstood thing in all of vandwelling. Because it works so well when put in windows we just assume it will work great everywhere else--but it won't. In a window it reflects the radiant heat from the sun right back out the window very, very well. It only reflects radiant heat and when when pressed up against the wall of a van there is no radiant heat.  

You can use either styrofoam or Polyiso depending on your budget. The Polyiso has a higher R Value so its your best choice but styrofoam is almost as good. 

Where I'm camped in the desert it's been around 32 degrees for a couple weeks now and I've camped many times into the teens and twenties. I'll stay here until March when it will get into the mid-90s and that's too hot so I will leave.

Styrofoam or Polyiso is what you want.
Bob
Thanks for sharing, Polyiso is most likley what i will go with, I do have a quesiton about it though! Polyiso is very very great from everything I have read, but I also heard of a similar insulation called XPS Insulation, Polyiso is meant to be put in places where there is no chance of water being present, and XPS is made to be put behind brick walls for example, where moisture can seep through. How much moisture do you think seeps through a vans metal walls? I know Polyiso has a slightly better R value, so I am wondering, would I be good using Polyiso with a vapor barrier separating it from the inside van walls? I am just afriad of moisture getting in there and making everything nasty lol.

Thank you for allll the help! Im gutting the van today and will be insulating in the next day or so!

DreadHeadDrifter said:
Thank you for your input! A bed is a very important item for me, a good nights rest is crucial! I am looking for a mattress that I could cut to fit my custom bed frame so something that can be cut without hurting the structure is ideal. With your signature sleep, when you are sitting up, can you feel the underside of the mattress pad with your butt? I do not know what the best thickness is but I will be spending some time sitting on my bed and want to make sure that a little pressure wont compress the foam too much and be uncomfortable.

I don't remember having the feeling of "hitting bottom" when sitting on my mattress. But I have to say that usually when I'm up on the bed, I'm in a sleeping position or at least a semi-reclining position for reading. They may make a 2-foam mattress that is more than 6" so that you can easily cut down a thicker one -- but I had not looked for that. My thought is that you could try out the 6" and, if you decide you need even more cushioning, they do may mattress "toppers" that add another inch or two of memory foam.

Use XPS or Polyiso, whichever you prefer. I don't believe you're talking about enough moisture in a van to matter either way since XPS is virtually impervious to moisture and all the Polyiso I've ever seen comes with a vapor barrier on both sides of the sheet.

With either one vapor is non-issue.
Bob

DreadHeadDrifter said:
Ah yess! Thank you for showing me this, I was kind of hesitant to go with a Grape Solar, I have never heard of anybody having one, and havn't seen very many reviews or youtube videos reviewing them. With the Whynter I get more space, and save $50!

I do have a question, they both seem to use the same amount of power, what makes you think I would need more solar and battery to run the Whynter over the Grape Solar? Is it because it is slightly larger? Thanks!

You are not just running the fridge.  You mentioned 12v lights, powered roof vent and an inverter.  You did not list a laptop or cell phone charger but I assumed the inverter would feed them.  There are so many variables it is difficult to say how much power you will need. There are many threads on power requirements, house batteries and how to charge them.  
Will your house battery also be charged by the vehicle alternator?  
How much will you drive each day?
How many hours a day will you use any electronics?

I've read nearly every post for the past 3 1/2 years.  What I got from that is buy the best solar system you can and tailor your usage around that.  Start with the 100w panel and see how it goes.  If you need more add another panel later.

How many watts of solar are you running and what kind of batteries?
UGGGh! Electricity, solar and batteries
What do I really need for solar?
Check post # 11
Check post # 4

VJG1977 said:
You are not just running the fridge.  You mentioned 12v lights, powered roof vent and an inverter.  You did not list a laptop or cell phone charger but I assumed the inverter would feed them.  There are so many variables it is difficult to say how much power you will need. There are many threads on power requirements, house batteries and how to charge them.  
Will your house battery also be charged by the vehicle alternator?  
How much will you drive each day?
How many hours a day will you use any electronics?

I've read nearly every post for the past 3 1/2 years.  What I got from that is buy the best solar system you can and tailor your usage around that.  Start with the 100w panel and see how it goes.  If you need more add another panel later.

How many watts of solar are you running and what kind of batteries?
UGGGh! Electricity, solar and batteries
What do I really need for solar?
Check post # 11
Check post # 4

Very helpful links I am getting ready to read through them in depth now so I can learn more.
I plan on having my alternator charging my battery setup as well, but as far as how much I will drive per day that is going to vary a lot!
I plan on doing lots of traveling, and lots of driving between destinations, but will then be parked up for one to two weeks at a time and riding my bike to get around and using the van as a home base. So I would like to have enough solar, or enough of a battery bank to last several days if needed.
I will use lights a pretty large amount each night, I am a night owl and that is when I like to be creative and drawl and read, I would say 6+ hours per night with the lights on, and as far as other things besides the 12v fridge, I will also be charging a cell phone, and a tablet once per day. I recently got a tablet as a gift so now I wont have to worry about my laptop sucking lots of power. I am looking into little solar powered light strips or something, I figure any bit helps and really ads up.
I would be fine going without lights or anything else, as long as I have enough power for the fridge, that is my primary concern as far as my solar power setup.

Thanks for sharing those links, ill get to reading now!