Losing home & need to immediately relocate to truck camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMKlein

Reaction score
I don't have the luxury of years researching everything I need to know to get started. 
Since I don't have roots and can work remotely, I want to hit the road ASAP. 
I can't seen to find a source that gives a concise and exhaustive how-to guide. 
I'm always left with questions.

For instance:
Everything I need to go off-grid? 

Basic equipment everyone should bring such as 
emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ? 

The best way to find caravan groups to start out with?

All the places you can safely & legally boondock?

Also curious as to what you think the best rig is for a small signature and versatility?

Is there a guide to must-see locales? Maybe a kind of itinerary on how to hit all of them?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum, CMKlein! Enjoy your launch time, there is nothing quite like embarking on a journey. 

Sounds like the need for electrical power is foremost on your list of things to do, and you want to be remote (no shore power). When I did that I used a generator, with solar lighting (Luci lights found on amazon or REI type of supply catalog). I think it is much nicer to have solar (no gas cans) and there is a forum on here that discusses the details of how others are doing that.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=13431

What type of rig do you have? I started out in a 4 wheel drive pickup with a topper, then a couple years down the road switched to a front wheel drive van. I miss the 4 wheel drive, but have only been stuck once during an ice storm, and to be honest no one else was able to travel then either. Some would say I have not had enough fun if I have only been stuck once. 

There is also a thread on here for essential attire, but we don't have an essentials thread for the camping kit. You could start a thread on that! Have fun starting out.
-crofter

Focus on the most basic things first, sleep, food, water, toilet, power, internet access if required to work.

Saw and hatchet/ax if you want firewood. Can likely find all you want without, but a saw helps in making it easier to handle and carry. No real need to make a neat pile of exact size sticks just to burn though, they burn in two or can feed them in as they burn. Be aware of local fire restrictions if conditions warrant restrictions.

Basic camping stuff is all thats needed to begin, but house cookware is fine. A water jug and smaller jug for small chores and drinking is handy, like an empty gatorade bottle.

Can be very simple to start. If you gotta go, you gotta go, figure the details out as you go. Whatever you start with is likely to change as you gain experience anyway.

What part of the country are you in to start, or where do you plan to go after launching?

Bob just put this video out, it might be a good place to start:

CMKlein said:
I don't have the luxury of years researching everything I need to know to get started. 
Very few people will ever have that luxury.

I am new to it all as well and like everyone else had the same questions you have. Most of those topics you  have questions about are/were being discussed and you will get some good info there.  Revive an old discussion  thread here and everyone will chime in to help you out.

The biggest thing to know.. is to Keep It Simple Stup...however the acronym works... this is something that I have NOT done in all cases and it has caused a lot of frustration, wasted time and money. 

Also..  hardly ever will you see a video of a build where things are going wrong. They ALWAYS show the magic of the build and never the cursing.... the more simple you keep it the better... especially since your raring to go.

Have fun!

Hi there,

Like many other nomads here, I found myself in your shoes when I started, also wondering all the same things and wishing there was a simple guide.  Such a guide does not exist, unfortunately, at least not one that everyone can agree is comprehensive and accurate enough.

However, it did help tremendously to just start my journey by reading all of Bob’s original blog posts.  I started by reading as many of them as I could when I got off of work (I was still working at the time).  There is a lot of dialogue in the comments of those blog posts, too, which means many questions you may be wondering about have been asked before (and answered).

Bob also has great videos addressing broad topics like energy use, how to find legal boondocking sites, etc.

I have been full-timing for a year now.  My circumstances, like yours, are unique, and will not necessarily translate to someone else’s experience.  But I can try to answer some of your questions, from my own perspective, based on my own experiences and circumstances.

Well, you need to provide for your basic needs off-grid, so shelter, water, and food.  The rig will provide your shelter.

The water can be in water jugs/totes/tanks.  Personally, I have a 40-gallon fresh water tank that I mostly use for cooking, washing, and showering.  I can and do sometimes drink from it.  It can be filled with a hose.  I also usually have several 1-gallon drinking water jugs for drinking, and I have an empty 5-gallon military water container for emergencies in case I ever needed to gather and store a large quantity of drinking water.

Regarding food, eating nonperishables all the time can be dull, so you’ll want to have a way to cool your perishables.  Even a cheap Styrofoam cooler from the grocery store, filled with ice, works.  It won’t last forever and isn't very efficient, but it will work to keep perishables cool if you keep fresh ice in it.  Many members here have refrigerators of some kind in their rigs.  My rig is a manufactured truck camper, so it came with an absorption fridge/freezer that runs off of propane.  If I were doing a build, I would have a small compressor fridge that runs on DC power.

For bathing, you can take sponge baths or bucket baths.  I have done both and find them perfectly fine for bathing.  My rig has a shower in it, so I use that nowadays, but I don’t mind bucket baths, at all.

Beyond shelter, water, and food, you will want power for things like your phone/tablet/laptop, as well as for lighting.  You don’t need to spend a ton of money, but energy does cost a little money.  A lot of energy costs a lot of money.  You could get a few used golf cart batteries and a cheap Chinese charge controller and be in a power system for not much money.

I might recommend at least one 100 amp deep cycle battery and a small solar kit with a charge controller and a 100 watt panel at a minimum, and anything more than that is obviously even better.  My setup is 320 watts on the roof and a 300 amp hours of AGM battery, and it meets all of my needs for full time nomadic living 95% of the time.  The other 5% of the time is when it is raining/overcast for several days in a row.  Then I run my generator to recharge the batteries.

Also note that the best answer to your question depends on how you define “off-grid.”  I personally have exclusively boondocked over the past year, much of it off-grid.  I have never stayed at a campground and have never paid RV or camp fees.  For me, “off-grid” means out in nature without hookups.  But I still use propane for heat and cooking.  I still fill my water tank from an RV water station.  I generally go into town once a week (sometimes once every two weeks) to do things like fill my water tank, fill a propane tank, get fresh groceries, throw my trash away, etc.

There are folks here who live for months (or years) at a time in the desert and very rarely go into town.  Some even do without laundromats and wash their own clothes.  I had aspirations of such off-grid living when I started a year ago, but I never actually embarked on that life.  I found that I liked staying off-grid… but close to the grid.  For example, being able to fill my water tank whenever I wanted.  That way, I did not have to implement extreme water-conserving measures.  So what you need to go off-grid will also depend on what “off-grid” means to you.

Basic equipment everyone should bring such as emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ?

I personally have a basic tool bag that contains a hacksaw, several wrenches, a hammer, a pry bar, a screwdriver set, different pliers, etc.  I have lots of gorilla tape and duct tape, multi-tools, etc.  I have an air compressor and tire-repair kit, and I know how to use them (I highly-recommend practicing using the tire repair kit before you ever need it).  I have a good lug nut wrench, a good jack, a good recovery strap, a grade 100 chain sling, D-rings, etc.  Like with the tire-repair kit, I highly recommend trying these items out (i.e., put the spare on and take it off again, etc.) before you ever need them, unless you have a lot of experience already (I didn’t before I started nomadic living).

You may want:  all-terrain tires on your rig if you plan to go “off-grid,” as you said, a good chair to sit outside in that is sturdy enough to last -- and light and “packable” enough to easily carry across your camp, flashlights and headlamps if you will spend time off-grid, along with extra batteries, a fly swatter and 25% (or more) DEET spray, etc.

Now then, I have traction mats that are heavy, expensive, take up a lot of room, and never get used.  Do you need those?  Do you need a $300 chain sling, for that matter?  I would bet that most members here don’t have one.  My cousin, who is a mechanic and who has recovered many vehicles, insisted that I needed one.  I also carry a tourniquet (for medical emergencies).  Do you need one of those?  I would bet that most members here don’t have one.  I carry one because I served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it was drilled into me.

But I don't carry bear spray, a personal locator beacon, etc.  I don’t have those things.  Do I need them?  Well... maybe I do (and I'm sure I'll kick myself if I ever found myself needing them and not having them)... but there is only so much space, so much time, and so much money.

Bottom line is that everyone has to choose what will fit in his rig, what makes sense for his budget and the kinds of situations he could face, etc.

I know very little about RVs and RV systems, and I know very little about truck engines.  I have some Diesel 911, nitrile gloves, and spare fuel filters in case my diesel engine ever craps out in the dead of winter, and I have learned how to use them.  I once took apart and fixed my toilet cassette (i.e., my black tank) by watching videos and reading the parts diagrams online.  But generally, I am not mechanically-inclined.  I am not comfortable tinkering with things.  Part of that discomfort is simple fear of the unknown, and part of it is laziness, but I am willing to study something and become familiar with it in order to work on it if necessary.  Necessity is often the mother of invention!

I never joined a caravan.  I also didn’t really look, but they sound like fun.

I have found that freecampsites.net satisfies all my needs.  I have always been able to find a safe place to boondock for free on that site, and these often were “hidden gems” that were quiet, safe, and only a little bit off the beaten path.  Otherwise, I find Wal-Mart is usually reliable (I always call ahead and confirm with the manager, as some towns don’t allow overnight parking in public parking lots).  I have always found a spot at truck stops, too, although I have occasionally had to overnight between two giant rigs, with all the associated noise.

Also curious as to what you think the best rig is for a small signature and versatility?

Those were my goals in a rig, too.  I chose a truck camper on a one-ton truck.  Vans are good, too, as well as Class B RV’s.  Having a short wheelbase and two axles makes you very mobile.

Is there a guide to must-see locales? Maybe a kind of itinerary on how to hit all of them?

I like TripAdvisor and Wikitravel to give me general ideas when I'm in another country or state.  The Thorntree forum on Lonely Planet is good, too, especially for itineraries, as it’s full of threads along the lines of “I have 7 days in northern Arizona, what should I see?”  And, of course, there’s this forum!

(Great post MG1912)

I wanted to mention a video I saw (that unfortunately I can't locate to link); I think it was on rusty78609 on YouTube. This guy left home with a just truck towing a cargo trailer. On his first stop he bought a bed and some plastic drawers, and stayed there for a while. On his second stop he bought a cooler, and stayed there for a while. On his third stop he bought a lamp and a fan. He continued along like that, just picking what he needed along the way until he had everything he thought he needed.

The point of that video I think is that you don't have to leave with everything. There might be some essentials, like a laptop and internet connection if you need it to work, and somewhere comfortable to set it and you to work. A comfortable mattress is essential. If you don't sleep well you won't be healthy, and if you're not comfortable it will be hard to adjust to sleeping on the road. Also, a warm sleeping bag and a heat source would be top of my list, but I mostly hang in Wyoming and Colorado, where the weather does whatever it wants and trends towards cold.

Check out Bob's recent videos with the 9 essentials checklist. Perfectly fits this topic I think.

Best wishes on your journey.

desert_sailing said:
The biggest thing to know.. is to Keep It Simple ...
Also..  hardly ever will you see a video of a build where things are going wrong. They ALWAYS show the magic of the build and never the cursing.... the more simple you keep it the better... especially since your raring to go.

Have fun!
So true. The more you eliminate from your build, the faster you will be done. I eliminated electricity and running water, but built a comfortable bed.

I later added a solar panel on my dash and battery to run the maxxfan. I use the vent every day but rarely the fan, so the dash solar setup turned out to be a waste of space and money for me. I am planning to convert it to a trickle charger for the van engine battery, so not a total loss. The Promaster van does use power when sitting, so some source for a trickle charge is needed if you are parked a lot, or you could just drive around more.
-crofter

CMK, one of your decisions will be where do you want to travel to and is the vehicle up to it. It's August now and a little warm in the south off of the grid. Dont know how much caravanning is going on this time of year and with the pandemic on high.   A lot of people are in the cooler altitudes.

Horizonderek214 said:
How do you insure you car when you live in it full time.

I told my insurance broker that I was going to be traveling in my van for at least a year, so I was changing my residence address to my sister's address.

He didn't blink an eye. And my rates didn't change much. This might be different in a different state, I don't know.

Whatever you do, don't lie to your insurance agent. Note though, that I said I was going to be traveling in my van, not living in it. Which, IMNSHO, you should always tell anyone who asks.

CMKlein said:
Since I don't have roots and can work remotely, I want to hit the road ASAP. 
I can't seen to find a source that gives a concise and exhaustive how-to guide. 
I'm always left with questions.

For instance:

Basic equipment everyone should bring such as 
emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ? 

In the same boat except I have months or a year or two max to figure things out. In some ways I wish I could start now just to get it over with.

I have been researching vans instead of trucks but the "builds" or things to consider are obviously similar.

In a nutshell:

I'm getting the Yeti 1000 or 1400 (haven't decided) with a solar panel or two to recharge to solve my electrical living needs. I will attempt to use the dashboard during work to soak up sun, properly positioned. It throws out like 1500 watts and powers most electronics but the model difference means it can store more prior to recharge. 

Getting the Sun Joe 24 volt 1.5 gpm 116 max psi cordless, water sprayer ($120) that holds 5 gallons, and I will make-shift a shower. Also runs on modest electric. I'll get the hanging "bag" on Amazon that holds 5 gallons just in case I need a replacement thing for $25 bucks only.

Will insulate it will spray adhesive and insulation, with reflectix ether in front or behind the insulation, to guard against heat. Obviously will put down flooring, roof and siding with wood panels etc over the insulation. No wiring too much expertise involved ie using Yeti above.

Will get a induction cooktop and use it on the lower settings which require up to 1000 watts usually to cook or boil water. Easy to put hot water in Sun joe to create warm water to shower.

Will get black out curtains and black out anything that can carry light to the outside with various rods holding the curtains and securing them.

For heat/cold I am looking into makeshift a portable AC with tube that can be makeshift put up to window and simply secured in a DIY way upon use and run for 10-20 minutes at a time to cool inside. 

Will use my phone as a hotspot I guess to duplicate internet and install a desk and PC in my van. Using "visible" as many have suggested for unlimited $40/mo or $25 with a party.

Between these things I'll make a cabinet or two, bed holder out of wood and put a serta sleeper I get on sale 50% off and a clothing area.

Composting toilet or those super sealed buckets maybe with wood-chips added (5 gallon bucket with gamma seal lid) on Amazon for $20-$30 would work for toiletry needs.

The "portable" sink with footpump (just search amazon etc) for $150 or so would work as an emergency thing with it's own contained gray water area and storage etc, but I might just build a very quick wood cabinet kitchen sink, but a sink to install, and you need like 2 buckets that hold 7 gallon water each just for storage and/or the put under any sink you make unless you get the portable one built in but imo it's too small to do anything other than wash up quickly i want to wash food if needed.

That's kind of where I'm at after a month of brainstorming. I think it's much easier to stealth in a smaller truck so your main issue is the build or transition. The above is just how I would makeshift things with little or no DIY experience and in a hurry. I have not tackled any tool issues or caravan issues. I do think it's easier to have friends or people you can meet and help each other regularly but where I live it's shunned.

Sorry I've been gone for a couple of weeks soon after I posted.

And I got something- a 1994 Ford Econoline in pristine condition.
It's in process of being delivered. Before it arrives though
my first concern is trying to understand the energy usage of the camper and how to keep power off grid, whether to use solar panels, what kind and what kind of batteries I will need.

Thank everyone who has helped, sorry for the hiatus, but it looks like I'm back.

Sweet... glad you found a rig and its on the way!

I had a bit of problem understanding the electrical need thing.... I found this website to be very clear and it helped me a lot.
https://batterymanguide.com/how-many-watt-solar-panel-to-charge-deep-cycle-battery/

I do like the plug and play modules like a Bluetti and the other similar items.. Just plug it up and your good to go.. I winced at the prices of some..but if you figure in the ease it probably is worth it at first. I would imagine the more proficient you become with solar you could always sell it and get most of your investment back. I wish I had bought one at first and then maybe switched up depending on my needs in an area where more "pros" are.

So do you plug the solar panels into the Bluetti and it becomes a battery or is that separate from your solar-charged battery bank?

I'm totally learning here. Thank you for the help

The Bluetti and similar gadgets ARE batteries - lithium batteries, which are more expensive to buy, but cheaper over the long run than acid batteries. They are plug-and-play, and yes, you connect them directly to the panels.

More homework for you -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=portable+power+stations+reviews+

Youtubers Will Prowse and Hobotech have all the info - and more - you will need.

Thank you- could I get adequate power without roof-mounted panels?

I'm concerned about getting up there 
due to mobility challenges & also damage to the roof.

This would be a firm "it depends".

Will you always be in a sunny place?

Will you be parked in that sunny place most of the time? Will there be someone parked near you to make sure your portable panels don't grow legs when you go to the store?

Will you be carrying enough batteries to carry you through the inevitable short and/or cloudy day? And will your solar panels be able to charge your battery bank within a few hours?

Will you carry a generator?

Would be able/willing to mount your solar panels on the side of your van?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer here.

You will get more definite answers if you can quantify how much battery capacity you will need.