Looking for something around $5k max

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thestuffnomad

Reaction score
Hey so I've been living in my 2014 VW Jetta for a year and a half now, I also recently got robbed for the first time, and lost over $2000 worth of stuff, and it's getting to that time where I need more space. I have been unemployed for over two months now, and yes it's worrying but I'm working on finding new income sources, but I do have $7500 saved up. I think I could buy something roomier, and sell the Jetta for about $5k as well? If anyone has any advice/links to offer I'd very much appreciate it.

As for what I'm looking for in a vehicle:

- Something that has at least as much room as a Chevy Astro (preferably more).

- Something that is at least 50% stealthy, so I can sleep in towns and cities relatively unnoticed if I wish.

- Something that is gas-powered and relatively inexpensive to maintain, or economic (I won't be able to afford diesel maintenance).

- Something I could travel across the country with the least amount of issues possible (I know that's hard given the price range, but I'll throw it out there anyway in case anyone knows better).

- Something with privacy, maybe there's space for a panel between the front seats and the cargo area, or a lack of windows in the back (preferably).

I think I'll leave it at that, the first three features are the most important of them. Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong place or something, I don't frequent this site often.

Thanks,

- Pedro

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I got my already converted van for less than that - but it seems to have some engine troubles. Ask me next week if it still falls under that price range :)

SheketEchad said:
I got my already converted van for less than that - but it seems to have some engine troubles. Ask me next week if it still falls under that price range :)
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

He's talking about total price after fixing the issues. I went a similar route, bought a 95 G20 conversion van for 2.5k and then did some work on it to make it reliable (new radiator, tires, brakes, catalytic converter to pass CA smog, and some other odds and ends) and then tore out the seats and built out a custom bed and storage. I'm not 100% sure of the numbers but in my head it is somewhere around 5k total invested.

thestuffnomad said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

I purchased my van, already converted, for under 5K.  However, if the engine problems turn out to be pricey, that could push me over the edge. That's what I meant :)

Latest posts