Looking for pics I saw: shelves/cubbies with rounded cut-out openings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I frequent a few forums and can't remember where it was that I saw pictures of someone's conversions that I've been trying to find again.

I'm posting anyway, in case it was here that I saw them OR someone here knows who it is and can direct me to where I can see the pics again. I'll describe them as best as I can remember...

• The person has two vehicles and shared pics of both in forum posts, not an album nor links to another site: one is a stepvan/bread truck type of vehicle and the other is a pickup truck with camper shell.
  • Both vehicles have very pretty, pleasant interiors with wood on the walls.
  • Most distinctive feature of both conversions is the wooden storage units which have rounded corners on the cut-out openings for reaching into the shelves/cubbies. These are not fancy yet add a very nice design element. Both vehicles have this feature.
  • The stepvan has a tiny wood stove mounted on a wall. 
  • The camper shell has a wooden shelf behind the truck's back window, where the head of the bed is.
Any clues? TIA for any help!

slow2day said:
If you Google "step van + wood stove" and check the images tab, you might see something that will job your memory . . .

Oh believe me, I've been Googling all possible word combinations for the last several weeks to find it, including your suggestion, to no avail.  One of my pastimes is research, and I am good at Googling, so asking at the forums where I think I may have seen these pictures is a last resort.  I am sure I didn't dream them, but they're nowhere to be found!

slow2day said:
Never mind. Link mistake.

Thank you anyway.  None of the step van conversions I've come across in Google Images has a tiny wood stove on the wall.  The ones I keep seeing in search results are much bigger stoves.

Perhaps it's more accurate to call it a heater rather than a stove. It did have a flame going in one pic. I don't know anything about these things.

The step van sounds like it belongs to a person on here with the user name Karl. He may have a truck also but I don't think I've seen that. Maybe search his posts and you'll find what you're looking for.

I had a post ready to reply and accidently hit the wrong key and closed out my browser. oops.

anyhoo I believe you are referring to "Flying Kurbmaster" he had a wood burner mounted on the wall and rounded corners on his cut outs. fine job looked great. only thing he had a step van and a mini van. highdesertranger

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up both Karl and Flying Kurbmaster, and... Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! It is Flying Kurbmaster's pics I've been looking for - such a pretty build in the stepvan, so well done, that I just wanted to see it again. And I didn't realize the other vehicle was a minivan - it too had a nice build. I thought I'd seen those pics at a different forum, though. I wonder if he posts somewhere else as well.

Anyway, thank you!

CW, I like that design also...I will probably go that route on my next build...

It lends a functional, 'maritime' type of theme that I like.

I just dont get along well with cabinet doors and drawers in small mobile spaces...too residential, too heavy, and too inefficient when it comes to the use of a small space.

Not to mention all the issues with hardware, and, hinged and sliding slabs of wood in a moving vehicle.

Yep...one vote here for those rounded cutout cubby-holes!

:)

Texas remember when building cabinets the only time you need heavy wood is on the bottom of weight bearing cabinets the rest can be done with 1x2's and 1/8 ply. you would be surprised how strong and light weight they are. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
CW, I like that design also...I will probably go that route on my next build...

It lends a functional, 'maritime' type of theme that I like . . . Yep...one vote here for those rounded cutout cubby-holes!

So simple, no need for bungees, and I'm sure those rounded openings aren't hard to make, yet it looks so stylish and uncluttered. I'd seen the pics weeks ago and have been looking for them ever since.

if you have a router you just need to make a pattern and you could punch those out quick. highdesertranger