Looking for a tow vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingBiker

Reaction score
Howdy all...

Im looking for a 1988 K3500/K2500 chevy, extended cab, manual trans, non-dually...

I know its old, but I can rebuild these older models from the ground up and not worry about 
all the sensors and computers, like I have in my current 2004 dodge dakota.....

If in your travels you see something like this, send me a note here on the forum or a text at 910-232-7704.... 

thanks in advance...

a K3500 and a K2500 are worlds apart in 1988. 2 different platforms. a K2500 is an independent front suspension, 4wd. a K3500 is straight axle 4wd, a much better platform IMO. however they both have computers and sensors. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
a K3500 and a K2500 are worlds apart in 1988.  2 different platforms.  a K2500 is an independent front suspension,  4wd.  a K3500 is straight axle 4wd,  a much better platform IMO.  however they both have computers and sensors.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the info... Yes.. they do have a couple sensors, but nothing like my 04, its got about 30, already replaced mass flow sensor, crank trigger sensor, o2 sensor, trans speed sensor.... 

the ecu's were a lot less complicated in 88 :)

so still looking for either or... they seem to be scarce right now...

Well, guess I need to modify my criteria for a tow vehicle...

now looking for a pre 96 k3500 or 2500HD extended cab, 4 wd, and I know manual trans are scarcer than hens teeth... but if
someone has one.... that would be great...

JT

bullfrog said:
Why the change of criteria?

the older ones are just that old and tired LOL and hard to find... especially locally.... found a nice (new/old) 1988 all new stuff... but its 2400 miles away in Idaho, im in NC.. and cant get a response to emails.... 

so.. I like the styling of the 90's also.... square body and will just put up with all the sensors... and work through whatever is needed...

yep if you want a square body you pretty much have to build it. unless you are like my buddy who scored a clean 1985 3/4 ton 4x4. when I say clean I mean like show room clean. I much rather have a square body, a solid front axle is bullet proof compared to an independent. especially when talking 4x4. highdesertranger

Finally found a toy hauler,  wasn't exactly what I was looking for but close....

its a 2001 dodge ram sport, extended cab, 2wd, v10 with the stout 47he 4 speed auto trans...

It's a dodge so it needs a few of the typical things and a couple other things done...

one tiny spot of rust on one rocker... on drivers side... rest knock very solid...

I think I got it at a good price compared to the pricing I have been seeing over the last few months....

In the next couple months, will do some maintenance and get it ready for the long haul...

Now I have more time to find my toy hauler - a goose neck or fifth wheel, 24-28 foot with front end bed....

Attachments

• v10 2001 dodger ram sport.jpg
    v10 2001 dodger ram sport.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
Started working on my new/old dodge 2500, had a power steering pump pressure line squirting from a couple pin holes and around the ferrule fitting...

the old line were 18mm sized nuts..... the new replacement line had one 5/8" and one 9/16" nuts..... 

It took me longer to find a 18mm line wrench then it did to change out the hose.....

first repair done and a few more to go.... just found a leak in the radiator... suggestions from the dodge forums are to replace instead of repair.... 

Needs ball joints upper and lower,  needed them about 30k ago... AC has a leak, exhaust bracket has broken off... needs a new tire due to ball joints..... 

I will be replacing rotors, brakes and calipers, just for my piece of mind...

for the price I paid.... these are minor..... when all is done, will be a great tow vehicle...

I can do a lot of the work myself... but a few things I will need a shop to do... as I dont have the correct tools...

cant wait to finish up ... one major step will be done....

after getting it completely road worthy, I will sell my 04 dodge dakota...

Attachments

• dual trucks.jpg
    dual trucks.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 5
ball joint work.jpgball joint 1.jpgball joint 2.jpgball joint 3.jpgWell finally got a few parts for the silver beast.....

new upper and lower ball joints, new outside tie rod ends... (more later) 

Dodge had the great idea to rivet the ball joints in so it would be tough to replace them... so Im sure these are the originals.. 

thats 137k on none greaseable front end parts..... Completely worn out......

not only do you have to cut the heads off the rivets, you have to drill out the top holes to fit the new bolts....

also on the bottom rivets, you have to cut the heads off the rivets, drill out them out to almost full size, (because they are in the 
lower control arm at an angle) then beat them out.... 

After pulling the top drivers side ball joint, there was zero friction,  could be a rattle toy :)

more work tomorrow...

FUN FUN FUN  :)

I'm getting to old for this LOL

jT

Attachments

• ball joint work.jpg
    ball joint work.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ball joint 1.jpg
    ball joint 1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 3
  • ball joint 2.jpg
    ball joint 2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ball joint 3.jpg
    ball joint 3.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 3
If you dont know how tough it is to replace 17 year old ball joints, I can tell you LOL....

rusted in, hard to pop.... worn out, ready to break....

some good news though.. some of the front end has been replaced with newer parts and they even have grease fittings YEAH!!!!