Looking at new tire types and costs..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks sneaks! It has been a long time since I thought about VW vans 14" wheels and tires, that is some good info. I did like MrNoodly and bought cheaper tires with a good road warranty from Sam's Club but got tired of spending time fighting them to honor it and plugging tires on dirt roads.

We're currently using Firestone winter force studless snow tires and have used them regularly year round for the last 10 years for all of our vehicles and have not had any issues in snow, highways, gravel washboard roads and off road. 4 tires costs us about $450-500.

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota and it came with C rated tires. Only a few tires made in the correct size are E rated. I went with Coopers. They were not rated E in the tire catalog, but rather the new designation load index 122. (The side of the tire says E, but could not find them when looking for E rated. )
Look for the highest load rating and then see if it is 10 ply rated and can hold 80 psi pressure, (E rated).

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I got a set of [/font]C rated [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Goodyear[/font] Duratracs for my 4Runner. I wouldn't reamend E rated tires unless its a full size truck or your really off roading. Just such a heavy tire and wayyy overkill. More strain on the drivetrain and decreases MPG... 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Also Michelin is a French company and most tires are made wherever they can. Many US company's make the same tire in US and non US. its a shot in the dark sometimes. lol[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have herd good things about the [size=small] Nitto ridge grappler as an all around good tire. [/font][/size]

re -- Discount Tire, Oregon
Eugene, Oregon.
We have a local branch outlet of Discount Tire in west Eugene.
An aside:
How much is the purchase tax in Arizona?
Last time we were there, our grocery receipt showed:
* a state purchase tax, plus
* a county purchase tax, plus
* a city purchase tax.
Check with the store operator before you buy, because most places in Oregon have zero-zero-zero purchase tax.
On a us$400 ticket for tires, that could be a difference of thirty or forty smackaroos.