Looking at batteries for Truck Shell/camper & solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
Actually if you are on a tight budget, buy what you can afford now and expand or add on later if needed. Make sure your first purchase is a decent system, even if slightly undersized.
I may be trying a camp-trip in just a couple of weeks.  The folks that invited me have offered to let me charge my phone with them, but I realized for short term, I already have a box-charger that goes in my lighter, and works off my truck battery.  I just bought a new battery, one of the best brands, through my auto mechanic here in town.  He and his crew are the best too ;)  I do know I wouldn't want to use my truck-battery on any regular basis, I'm not totally ignorant on some things.  No worries on me thinking something sounds condescending. If it happens, I always figure it's their issue, not mine.  I know I'm intelligent, and very teachable, but at the same time, I seem to have a harder time as the years go by, staying one one track, and short-term memory loss, you know, like, what did I come in this room for ;)

I'm not chancing the wet lead acids in my living space. My health is worth more than that. They also shouldn't be stored in an airtight space either. I used wet cells in my last rig, and I regret not spending more money for AGM's. It was such a pain in the breeches doing all the maintenance and checking on them all the time. But opinions may vary.

The problem with going small now and just upgrading later, is that you have to upgrade later. Charge controllers aren't cheap. Buying wires and installing them can be a pain and they cost money too. Upgrading later means replacing those things. Sometimes spending a little more up front will save you some in the future. Don't skimp on wire and safety things like proper fuses and stuff. When water escapes out of some plumbing, it usually leaves a mess. When electricity escapes, it's usually a whole lot worse...

Sounds like you don't have much of a power consumption. I mean, charging a phone a few times per day is nothing. You might be good with one of those small all in one power station units and just charging it off the car when you're driving or maybe getting a small suitcase solar setup. Don't get wrapped up thinking you need some crazy system that can run air conditioning, if you're not running air conditioning. But again, only you know your power needs. We're all just speculating.

Add a little cash and get this: 500 Watt Bluetti.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L91TTC9/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?

It has double the power and  a good reputation.
The 250 Watt will charge your laptop only once, and you need to run your fan, and lights too.
If you are getting  all-in-one, buy the best you can afford.
Remember, even Lithium batteries , can only be discharged down to 10% before they shut down.
The Bluetti is also compatible with all sorts of panels, which usually have MC4 connectors.

And always charge your devices during daytime, so your lithium battery in the generator has full charge at sundown.

thanks for all the info, I will check into these when it comes time for me to get something ;) Everything is on hold until I get my topper back on, about a week yet, and then, I have to connect with my "help" for the build which is going to be pretty simple, simple & bare necessities that is ;) But it will be a start ;)