Living in an XJ.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Vic nice to hear from you. what general area of Oregon are you in. highdesertranger

Right by Portland. I've lived here before so it was all instantly familiar.

That means I have three homes now. LA, Bay Area, and PDX.

Baloo said:
Have you looked something like a nicro 24hour solar vent? They run all day and night to help with humidity.

I thought about one of those as well. I have two 4 inch round hatches in the back doors. One of those would fit perfectly. Are they effective?

Baloo said:
Have you looked something like a nicro 24hour solar vent? They run all day and night to help with humidity.

I thought about one of those as well. I have two 4 inch round hatches in the back doors. One of those would fit perfectly. Are they effective? I had a lot of condensation in the fiberglass shell at night in Colorado in the winter.

Basically any air movement will help, as far as specific product, well that is subject to opinion. From my boating days, I would say yes, the nicro vent is a good unit and works well, but they are proud of them, they are pricey...

dusty98 said:
Biggest problem I see with living in something that small is the days you don't work... Like 3 day weekends or such. At a job like his where he has lots of support systems that's great but without them in a vehicle that's just a rolling bed, maybe not so nice. If he is in the Bay Area and has sufficient friends then maybe. You can mentally burn yourself out staying 12 plus hours at a workplace day in and day out. Ask me how I know. On the other hand, don't.

Oh, and have a 7 day motel reserve fund for breakdowns.
I think it depends upon where you are living I am currently living 20 days per month in Colorado in my 95 Nissan Pathfinder. On my days off,usually Sundays I can head to National Forest and spend the night outside of my Pathfinder and in a tent.

My Pathfinder is slightly smaller inside than an XJ. I can slide the front seat all the way forward and it reclines all the way flat. This gives me almost 8' of flat surface. This includes laying the rear seat flat. I have removed the bottom seat cushion of the back passenger side seat.
I am using a thick piece of memory foam ( mattress topper ) as a comfortable place to sleep. This is rolled up and stored in the cargo area when not in use.
I cannot remember if the XJ front seats recline flatbut maybe this could be of help.

Vic. said:
Right by Portland. I've lived here before so it was all instantly familiar.

That means I have three homes now. LA, Bay Area, and PDX.

Thanks for this thread, you've shortcut the thought process for me!
I've a 1998 4ltr XJ, bought new in the UK and still going strong. Living in Brittany now and despite having a caravan I've decided to use the Jeep for overnights....After too much fun at the bar, overnighters by the sea and forest camping when out fishing and shooting.
Removing the rear seat squab helps lower the base and a roof box is great for storage. A single inflatable camping bed does the job with room for the dog on the other side.
One thing on shutting out nosey parkers I have window "socks" which fit over the door glass and are secured in place when the door is closed. They allow the glass to be lowered and allow air circulation, uv protection, privacy but arent very secure.
Good luck with the XJ...They are great vehicles.

Latest posts