Living in an XJ.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An XJ IS a Cherokee, after all, People tow boats and small TT's with them. 6x12 should be no sweat. We have a 6x12 for our hobby club and I don't even feel it behind my Sport Trac... But then again, it's a V8.

Here's an example:

DSCN1921.jpg

Interesting info on the tow capacity. Like I said, it's my son's XJ and in Fargo right now. For me I'd also be towing it in the Colorado Rockies so not maxing out capacity is always a good idea. Just for info, my 6x12 trailer on the road is right at 3000 lbs. That's with a finished interior, 10 gallons of water, food for 2 for 10 days, all the normal cooking, camping, etc... gear, and oh ya, an almost 400 lb motorcycle inside. So if it really can tow 5000 lbs then 3000 should be pretty comfortable. The physical size shouldn't be a problem, I think the stock mirrors might even be able to see past it. With the V nose I have I don't notice the wind really much at all. It might be a doable solution, depending upon how it would fit into the rest of his life.

ZoNiE said:
An XJ IS a Cherokee, after all, People tow boats and small TT's with them. 6x12 should be no sweat. /SNIP/... But then again, it's a V8.
A V8 in an XJ?  I thought they only came with either a 2.5 liter four cylinder, or a straight six? (The early ones had a V6) What year is yours?  My 97 XJ was a straight six with 195 HP. Cherokee's were noted for having sufficient power & torque with the four liter inline six.  ;-)

I was trying to say the 6x12 cargo trailer (fully loaded with junk) was nothing to my Sport Trac, which has the V8... I think a 4L XJ would do great. That pushrod 6 has good low end grunt.

I see now. You were talking about a Ford Sport Trac, not an XJ.

Hmmm. So, I gotta ask:

Would it be an option to remove the passenger seat to get more legroom and storage? It would also allow easier access to the sleeping area, without having to exit the XJ. I have been thinking about this possibility in a number of vehicles, and this seems like a perfect candidate!

Or, am I just a nut?

A fair number of people take out the passenger seat. Unless you can hold onto it and put it back in when you go to sell it, it's an expensive idea.
Bob

Understood. The OP has a storage unit, although I think he wants to eliminate it.

Maybe a swivel base, allowing it to be turned around for the same effect?

Wait a minute, I thought this thread was about the original XJ. "The Jaguar XJ is the name of a series of flagship, full-size, luxury cars sold by the British automobile brand, Jaguar Cars. The XJ line has had a long history, with the first model released in 1968. "

A Cherokee is built on Jeep's "XJ" platform, Like the old "CJ" jeeps, and newer "YJ" etc...
Has nothing to do with a Jaguar.

ZoNiE said:
A Cherokee is built on Jeep's "XJ" platform, Like the old "CJ" jeeps, and newer "YJ" etc...

Dang, forgot the /sarc tag.

ZoNiE said:
I suspect he knew that and was just pulling our collective legs. ;-)

You can never tell these days... :s

At the second RTR in 2012 we had a guy show up who lived in a Jaguar auto. He had money but he also had this sense of adventure that wouldn't let go. He lived and slept in the Jag but he ate his meals out and if the weather was bad or he needed a shower he would stay at a motel.

Really interested and nice guy! Never seen him since then.
Bob

Biggest problem I see with living in something that small is the days you don't work... Like 3 day weekends or such. At a job like his where he has lots of support systems that's great but without them in a vehicle that's just a rolling bed, maybe not so nice. If he is in the Bay Area and has sufficient friends then maybe. You can mentally burn yourself out staying 12 plus hours at a workplace day in and day out. Ask me how I know. On the other hand, don't.

Oh, and have a 7 day motel reserve fund for breakdowns.

Space is your friend when it comes to bad weather. When I spent two straight weeks in my ambo it rained just about every day. I got to know my habits and how long it took for cabin fever to settle in, and I read a lot of books.

I had thought about a jeep rv quite a bit and it's just as doable as any car or minivan. I think it's a way better option due to the serious 4x4 capability.

I would pull out the back and passenger seats and build the bed on the passengers side, so lots of length to stretch out. Batteries would go on rear passengers floor and cooler on front passengers floor with bed on hinges to flip up. Would use a wave 3 heater. On the roof I would build a 10" high storage container with solar panels on top.

A rig like this would take you almost anywhere you dared to go. I think it would be an awesome adventure rig for the single person who is able to live the backpacker lifestyle.

Rocket_Ronny

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG-Qsrf_SDrr_y7QadFYsxQ/videos

does anybody remember these?
1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg
highdesertranger

Attachments

• 1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg
    1969-cj5-camper-sales-sheet1-498x650.jpg
    163.3 KB
Hey all, it's been a while.

akrvbob said:
A fair number of people take out the passenger seat. Unless you can hold onto it and put it back in when you go to sell it, it's an expensive idea.
Bob

That's what I would have done if I'd kept my Wrangler. I traded for the Cherokee due to the 2.5L in the Wrangler. She was over 100k and beginning to chug.

I've been staying in a rented place since May, when I moved to Oregon. Rent is significantly lower than the bay area and I'm chipping away at debt. It's also been hot and dry out here so I've had no motivation to think about vehicle dwelling. My current plan is to make major gains on my debt until June 2016. Then I'll reassess.

The XJ continues to roll on. Still plenty of space for a night or two during road trips!