Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
Has anyone had any encounters with large dangerous animals while boondocking? I am going to be starting out using my car, (1999 Merc. Tracer 4 door), and am considering getting a Springbar tent for housing. Is this a bad idea? Should I just stick to sleeping in the car and use a separate tarp/tent set up for shade, cooking and comfort during non sleeping hours?

Just drunk teenagers. LOL

Though I have camped in areas like this:
npp1ds.jpg

I've seen mountain lion tracks just outside my camp, bear tracks through my camp, Javelina, skunks, and snakes in my camp, though I've never had a problem with any. I even shook a venomous Arizona bark scorpion out of my sleeping bag once. That was a close call, as I was 100 miles from nowhere at the time. Had he got me I would have had a rough go of it.

It helps if you boondock with a little kitty cat to run the predators off, like this.
20r7iif.jpg

Of course carrying enough cat food can be a problem. Though he'll sure keep you warm at night.
One nice thing, you don't have to pick up his poop. Who's brave enough to complain about it?

Chip

Just keep food out of the tent. As I recall there have been a few cases of with menstruation and grizzlies, but it is very rare.

My system is to never camp where I'm not at the top of the food chain.  Problem solved.  :p

Netter said:
Has anyone had any encounters with large dangerous animals while boondocking? I am going to be starting out using my car, (1999 Merc. Tracer 4 door), and am considering getting a Springbar tent for housing. Is this a bad idea? Should I just stick to sleeping in the car and use a separate tarp/tent set up for shade, cooking and comfort during non sleeping hours?

Vandalism is wrong, but funny.....This is for Ca I believe...

Attachments

• mountainlion.jpg
    mountainlion.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 42
^^^^
When a friend of mine in South Africa told me that the monkeys in Kruger Park make their living by stealing ice cream cones from the tourists, I told him that in Florida the gators don't bother with the ice cream cones--they just eat the whole tourist.

;)

Netter said:
Has anyone had any encounters with large dangerous animals while boondocking? 

Only the two legged kind.  If you have a newer vehicle with a panic button on your key fob a couple of honks will scare of any inquisitive animals, large or small.

DLTooley said:
Just keep food out of the tent . . .

and toiletries, cooking stuff and anything else that will smell 'food'.

Because we sometimes camp in bear country we don't cook in the camper or tent if we have that. I think if you are in known territory for active predators I'd have a tent for relaxing in during the day and storing stuff in but I'd sleep in the car. We carry bear spray and air horn and a whistle. We don't sleep with food, toothpaste, etc. inside. We each own our own Kbar knife. It would depend where you are camping and what the threats are. Just adapt as necessary and be smart. And know where the bear spray is - you don't want to look for it when you hear a growl you want it next to you already.