Lion Energy Safari Lithium Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cousin_Eddie

Reaction score
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073786111 1 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520081665 -1073717157 41 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> [font=Tahoma, sans-serif]After great performance for about 5 years it want be long before its time to replace my 4 Interstate 6 Volt  GC2 Battery bank. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I ran them dry two times and they charge fine but I only get 12.5 at sunset vs 12.9 after a day of charging with solar.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]4 new ones would run me $500; add in $500 I spent 5 years ago. That’s $1,000[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Just seen these for $1,300 2-pack[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-safari-ut1300-2-pack.product.100663833.html[/font][/SIZE]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Has anyone upgraded and thoughts on making the investment?[/font]

I have no practical experience in using them. Only what I see on the interwebs. However:

The LION batteries get high marks by many on YT. as good as or better than the BattleBorns. Check out Jared Tocci' channel, I know he talked about the Lion brand ones in a number of his vids. His friends at Nomadik Customs often use them. I believe they allow a higher current draw than many other brands, good for use in induction cooking or microwave. Main benefit is that you can use the whole 210ah instead of 50% of your capacity. Also they woul be significantly lighter and can be stored in any configuration including on their side and/or stacked.

Thats a phenomenal price for 210ah of lithium, almost buy one get one free.

I believe this is the 2nd time they’ve come on sale at Costco. Reviews look good.

Weird - Shows up as $1399 for me...

Lithium batteries are the way to go. They have gotten to the price where it really pays to get them over older conventional batteries. These look like a viable option.

GntlStone said:
I have no practical experience in using them. Only what I see on the interwebs. However:

The LION batteries get high marks by many on YT. as good as or better than the BattleBorns. Check out Jared Tocci' channel, I know he talked about the Lion brand ones in a number of his vids. His friends at Nomadik Customs often use them. I believe they allow a higher current draw than many other brands, good for use in induction cooking or microwave. Main benefit is that you can use the whole 210ah instead of 50% of your capacity. Also they woul be significantly lighter and can be stored in any configuration including on their side and/or stacked.

Thats a phenomenal price for 210ah of lithium, almost buy one get one free.
1399 for me too.  Read the top negative review on Costco.  Sounds completely legit.  The first 4 star review that comes up repeats some of the same complaints.  Looks like you will make up for SOME of the savings by having to spend extra to adapt; not plug and play at all.  But still a helluva price for an otherwise very well reviewed alternative.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073786111 1 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520081665 -1073717157 41 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> [font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s really appreciated.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]After a little more checking the deal breakers are the thin plastic top and battery posts. I’m using  beefy cables. Operating temps would be a major concern too because they wont charge below 32 so some say.[/font]