Where to Disperse Camp at Leadville CO

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knoll128

Reaction score
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.hgkelc {mso-style-name:hgkelc; mso-style-unhide:no;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Where is the best place to disperse camp in Leadville CO? I hear Bob Wells say Leadville is the place to go in the summer, so I assumed that Turquoise Lake area was the place to go, but when I go to the "Pike and San Isabel National Forests" website they say Turquoise Lake doesn't have disperse camping. Is this true? If so, where does everyone go to disperse camp?

wylE8rA.jpg

I found this at: https://www.uncovercolorado.com/best-camping-colorado/

Dispersed camping – Look for sites on dirt roads off CO-82 in Twin Lakes. If most sites are taken, there are plenty more ten miles south on Hwy 24 at Clear Creek Reservoir. There is 1 campground at that lake, non-reservable, and a bunch of dispersed campsites on the road 12 miles west to Winfield (a cool ghost town).

Activities: Boating, Fishing, Hiking, Horseback Riding
Nearby Town:
Leadville – 20 minutes north of Twin Lakes, Leadville is a national historic district with a certain charm. Take a ride on the Colorado & Southern Railroad in town.
Twin Lakes – A general store and another restaurant call this semi-ghost town home.

So is Twin Lakes the place to go? Any help is greatly appreciated!

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> I know this forum has a lot of knowledge to offer. So when I asked about dispersed camping I was hoping to get replies like "This site has a great view, but there is too many local teenagers partying there" or "If you disperse at this site, you will get a lot of wind", but I just get a link to the many websites I have. I come here for experienced advice, not what I can Google.

In the area you are asking about campsites have been overused and many trashed, some resulting in closure. At this time of year most have retreated to warm areas and are hesitant to make recommendations as many have been closed due to the pandemic and will be soon due to snow/weather. I believe Bob Wells recommended one as an example in his Q and A sessions and you might search those but usually the link is what most here use.

Knoll keep in mind many people me included will not post information on the internet about places we camp at. I have been burned before by sharing places. I have choice words from people that "advertise" places to go. once an area is "promoted" that is usually the end of it. highdesertranger

When people post a spot on the internet it gets overused and trashed. You will only get general ideas of good spots and then you have to scout.

Over the years Colorado National Forest spots have been getting trashed and closed the last year has been even worse.

Thanks for the information. I get the no detail information for the reasons posted. It's totally sucks the way people are treating these campsites. Parents don't teach values anymore, they are the reason Walmart won't let you camp at their stores anymore. I'm the type that when I leave a campsite, it looks better than when I found it. I'm always picking up others trash. It's going to get where there is no-free camping left.

knoll128 said:
It's totally sucks the way people are treating these campsites. Parents don't teach values anymore, they are the reason Walmart won't let you camp at their stores anymore.

I agree. But I also blame state and federal management. They know when you have that number of people you need sanitation, dumpsters and out houses. They do nothing let the place get trashed and close it. Over and over again.

there may be some nice spots around Cottonwood Lake near Buena Vista? when i camped there at age 13 it was really nice but it's probably changed much since then ;)
jim