Could I be a nomad and still see my kids some weekends?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudeAbides

Reaction score
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-469750017 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Hi there all! 

My name is Chris, I live in the Prescott AZ area, and I’m considering the nomadic life. 

I would be already if it were not for the fact that I have a 2 and a 4-year-old who live nearby with their mom.  I am allowed to see them one day a week If I’m lucky right now.  I was just watching one of the videos on Youtube about the snowbird schedule and I realized that I could conceivably do the van life all within a few hours of where I am now.  Heck, I already know where all the good camping is and how to get around the PNF rangers patrols.  About 20 years ago, I lived on Thumb Butte in my VW Vanagon for a year so I already know the reality of #vanlife…

After child support, I would have about $1000 to live on from my SC VA disability.  I also have start-up money/savings to find a decent van or convert the cargo trailer I already have. I also live in a 25 ft travel trailer right now and could conceivably get something to tow with and go that route.

This advantageous financial situation will be spent down quickly where I'm at so I need to poop or get off the Thetford. This has long been my fantasy (or at least backup plan) while I was still married.

Has anyone in the community known someone in a similar situation?  I would love to get some feedback about how they managed the situation even if it's third or fourth hand.

It’s quickly progressing to the point where this is the penultimate option.  I am literally approaching a red line where I need to decide to live free or die.  I no longer fit where I am.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

Depending on what kind of part time work you were to follow if you can work,  I don't see why not.  Often kids will side with one parent  and I don't know how amiable your separation was.  Or if wife wants to remarry and move off with new husband  I would suggest you get a Facebook page and let them in on it's address.  If you have a digital camera/Cell you could update our FB page with photos of things you see in your travels with them. 

I've met a lot of people in your situation who are buying and selling stuff on ebay as a way of supplementing their incomes.
With experience at that they often set up an eCommerce site where they can sell things.  But 2020 is going to be big for eCommerce and small business people.  There are all kinds of sites like ebay for selling things.  If you have some business office skills or arts/design etc skills you could investigate  guru com or others like it.  It works like ebay but you sell your talent as a service or product. 

If you wanted to start some eCommerce small business and license it you may want to contact the Score organization. They are in their 50th year and these volunteers help people free of charge.   If you are going to be a Nomad, it may be worth your investigating getting an address in a tax free state.  These states are tax free:  Alaska, Florida, South Dakota,
Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.   Nomads often get a re-mail service where they can use that facility as their permanent address and get a drivers operators license where they only have to return to that state for renewal of the license when it is due.  The re-mail service if you give them permissions can open your mail, scan it into digital form, and email it to you anywhere. 

Just because you are disabled and a Van Nomad doesn't mean you are a lost soul.

You list your children’s ages as 2 and 4 years, and I would suggest considering staying in more traditional housing so that you can have regular visitation and a meaningful role in your children’s lives.

It would be great to take them camping sometimes, but weather fluctuations will make that difficult to do all the time, and trying to have visitation in a van may bring child welfare authorities knocking on your door.

If you only have a day a week if you’re lucky, consider getting a court order for more reasonable visitation.

Another option, if the children’s mother has a place to go maybe you could stay there for your visits and she could leave.

I urge you to make playing a meaningful role in your children’s lives a priority, as they grow up fast and you only get one chance at that.

Good luck to you.

Welcome Chris to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

The man who created this website and place for this forum chose to live in a vehicle so that he could afford to live close to his young children after he divorced their mother. He was able to get permission to stay in the parking lot of the place he worked. He did this for all the years his children were still in school and then when they had fledged the nest he began living on the road.

So you are in the right place to find support for your concept of being able to afford to stay close by to your children while at the same time live affordably in a non traditional dwelling space. You and others with similar financial constraints are the persons this website was created to help support. So don't ever worry about whether you belong here.