Like minded van dwellers.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to the strange and awkward responses I received for my "Help Build Social Media for Van/RV community" thread that was closed, I wrote my reaction on my own blog. 

Blog post response This is on my personal blog about my van dwelling life (at the moment the progress working towards it)

I will still be visiting this site and forum for ideas but that's about it. 

I love Bob's videos and love seeing the people he interviews and he is one of the reasons I decided to record my journey and hope to find a similar community in Canada.

Thank you to the people that offered wonderful warm welcomes but I am off to find like minded van dwellers.

Safe travels and happy adventures.

Kylie  :heart:

Kylie, I am sorry about any confusion I caused by closing your thread. I sent you a PM.

There are plenty of nerds and gamers living this life and on this forum. Don't let one thread on a forum stop you from trying to find them

Van Dwelling Life

I did not read that thread so will not comment on it, but I just read your blog post. I think you should create what you are looking for. Use a tab on your blog to start listing and linking the folks you come across online and in person. Organize it how you see fit because it's your space (location, vehicle type, whatever works). I am not on facebook or twitter, but I am on instagram and have a blog (specifically parenting but I do write about my progress to get on the road). I follow some youtube channels including Bob's and a couple in Canada who travel around interviewing people while living in their van. I also find a lot of people on Instagram who are working to build a brand and following.

Exploring Alternatives Youtube

And my blog in case you care to connect Good Families Do

and no more judging a forum over a couple post

Personally, I'm really sad about his experience here. I saw the thread (though I didn't comment) and he was unfailingly polite to everyone. He was welcomed warmly (initially), then made to feel he didn't belong and should go elsewhere. Very disappointing.

KathyC said:
Personally, I'm really sad about his experience here.  I saw the thread (though I didn't comment) and he was unfailingly polite to everyone.  He was welcomed warmly (initially), then made to feel he didn't belong and should go elsewhere.  Very disappointing.

I can think of at least two other people who've joined, posted some good stuff, and left almost immediately.  Saying they don't feel welcome or it's a bad fit.  

I thought Kylie could bring a lot to the place, makes me sad she left.

"To say the least most of the people that replied sounded like a bunch of paranoid gun crazed preppers."
~from linked blog post~

Reno said:
"To say the least most of the people that replied sounded like a bunch of paranoid gun crazed preppers."
~from linked blog post~

That pretty much describes me to a T.

:p

I certainly am security conscious, armed, and I carry food and supplies...so yeah..

And, BTW, I think her feelings were hurt.

Thank you. I will be back to reply to all the posts. I am busy working on my van as I only have 3 days left before I head back to work.

Just one thing I wanted to mention is that my blog reply was me venting and I didn't want to start some forum war.

Stick around , take your shoes off.
We'll grow on ya after a while !

There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience here that I'm sure you can tap into for your van build.
Ask all the questions you have now or down the line when you get on the road .

Many here have blogs and that experience is available to you as well....

Van Dwelling Life said:
Thank you. I will be back to reply to all the posts....
Please do stay...this is a diverse group of very interesting and generous people...give it a shot.  There are all sorts of different people here with different ideas and plans...room enough for everyone!
ps: sorry I referred to you as "he" in my earlier post...I wasn't paying attention. :)

Please do stick around....  there are clusters of van dwellers here and each one different from the next!   You can find one or two or a few that you'll enjoy, I'm sure.

I also had a very tough time joining here.  Some warm welcomes and then BAM! complaints about my font and the color I used and my siggy....

I met some van dwellers at the RTR this year that suit me great... and others, well, not so great.  I'll go back for the fellowship of like minded van dwellers.

We are all van dwellers for our own personal reasons, events.  What brings us out is usually also what we bring out to show others.

Welcome!

DrJean said:

I also had a very tough time joining here.  Some warm welcomes and then BAM! complaints about my font and the color I used and my siggy....

Dont you just hate it when the font  police show up?

:D