Lightning Trailers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering upgrading from my current 6x10 cargo trailer (for extended travel only-- I don't live in it) to something larger. This time, I'm thinking along the lines of going with something that has holding tanks and limited plumbing (including a shower) built in from the factory. (I miss these amenities more than I expected.) Plus, there's some other "rough spots" I'd like to try and improve. So far the only brand I can find that offers plumbing in a cargo trailer is "Lightning Trailers", a division of Forest Rivers (FR).

https://lightningtrailers.com/index

I'm considering ordering from:

https://www.trailershowroom.com/

So far they've been very professional in dealing with a complicated spec-out.

This connection with FR scares me a little, because I've heard so many complaints about their RV's. But, again, so far they seem to be the only game in town. If Wells Cargo or Pace did plumbing and tanks, I'd spend more for better quality. This, however, as near as I can tell isn't an available option. If it is, they've made it very hard to find.

Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this brand? I'm looking either 7x14 or 7x16, and don't intend to take it into difficult terrain. It's possible that it may never leave the pavement more than once or twice for short distances in its entire career.

Also, does anyone know of other places I might look? I'd like to stay with a cargo trailer due to the low maintenance and durability factors. (The only commercial-RV type trailer I'm even considering is a Casita, and I'm reluctant on it due to the difficulty of roof-mounting (ground-mounts won't work for me, as I need to charge while driving) the thousand or twelve-hundred watts or so solar I hope to eventually install this time around.

Thanks in advance!

My wife bought a new Forest River Grey Wolf travel trailer last winter and the build quality sucks. It is 24 foot, no slides, old style siding, no windows on the front, 12 year warranty on the roof . It has their signature curved shower and a flush out port for the black tank. We got it for a very reduced price but it still was probably twice what I could have bought a quality cargo trailer for and built out but that would not include my
time and labor. Since it will be parked most of the time and less than 50 miles from the factory dealer (warranty repairs) and I can modify the bedroom to suit us she took pity on my old body and bought it. So far it has worked well.

cool on cargo trailer with bathroom option.

I googled....cargo trailer with bathroom option.....and a ton of sites came up. So maybe just keep checking and you might find something to float your boat :)
best of luck to you!!

this^. when I was looking I saw several that offered toilets and showers. most of them were marketing to the race car crowd. also I would ask the manufacturers a lot of them will build whatever you want, even if they don't advertise it. highdesertranger

yea true, a ton of like 16 ft size small toyhaulers out there with amenities with truly low costs if you shop well.

the thing is Toy Haulers are built like Travel Trailers. with stapled wood framing they are not very durable. most cargo trailers on the other hand are built with square steel tubing. a world of difference. when I was looking the Toy Haulers I looked at were very poor quality. to get into the better built ones you were looking at 100k+. highdesertranger

Why don’t you check out Casita trailers. These are light, fiberglass units which have all the features you are describing. New ones are pretty expensive, but there are lots of used ones on the market at prices competitive to cargo trailer conversions, and a lot easier to pull. The best model for you would probably be the 17’ Spirit Deluxe.

My wife and I bought a new one in 2000 and have pulled it all over the country with a Chrysler minivan. It’s a joy to live in while on the road.

Hope this helps . . .

I was going to build out a cargo trailer at one point. By the time I added up the cost of the trailer, and all the other things that make it a mobile house, (kitchen with hot water, bathroom with shower, toilet, holding tanks, air conditioner, furnace, 3 way refrigerator, etc.) the cost was much higher than to just buy a used toy hauler trailer. Mine is a Hobbi 22' with tandem axles. The body framing is aluminum. Sides fiberglass, top rubber.

I paid $10,000 for it. Paying retail for all the things needed to convert would have probably raised the price to $20,000. Price out a propane refrigerator for example. Not to mention a ton of hours in labor. It may not last me forever, but then I am not going to be around forever. I am 65. when I buy things sales people try selling me a life time warranty. I ask them if they have a cheaper 20 year warranty instead.

People are still using trailers made in the 1960's. One guy just had his burn to the ground, but that was not because it fell apart. A fire can take out a new rig as well. Buy something that has a history of being well made from somebody that was handy with a calking gun. Then put the money saved into a repair fund. You will need one of those even if you buy something new.

Thank you all very kindly. As I said, the ruggedness, simplicity, and low maintenance of the cargo trailer are what appeals to me. I know the Casita's reputation well and have been to the plant that makes them twice in the past six months. They're quite impressive. If I could figure out a way to mount enough solar and a large-enough battery-bank to suit me, I'd probably already own one. I've got 1200 watts on my home base and 600 watts on my current cargo trailer, and it's become one of my favorite fun things in life to play with.

Toy haulers were literally the first things I looked at, almost four years ago now. Then I saw Bob's vid on why to convert a cargo trailer instead, found out how "conventional" RV's are made, and pretty much became a convert on the spot. While every now and again I still look at a "conventional" unit, it's never for very long or very seriously. I love the low maintenance, low costs and easy towing on my current 6x10, and also like the fact that I designed it to suit me and no one else and that I can fix nearly everything on it despite not being particularly good with tools. Only the unconventionally-built Casitas tempt me, though the Scamps would as well if I liked their floorplans a little better.

Thanks for the suggestion about seeking out other sources of cargo trailers with plumbing-- I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, after further consideration I may just get a nice porta-potty for the 6x10 I've got now and see if that and an improvised sink and gray tank might maybe make me a happier camper for a lot less money. In the meantime, I'm very grateful for the help!