Lighting Inside

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MineRVa

Reaction score
I purchased a short school bus that will be my residence in 2 weeks. It occurred to me that I haven't figured out what to use for light inside after dark... I would appreciate your suggestions and insight.

Is electrical power already on your to-do list? Or are you starting from a completely blank slate?

If you're looking for an immediate temporary solution while working on your electrical system, I started with some AAA battery lights like these before I was ready for my conversion. They surprised me how well they worked. 

I recently put these LED lights in my van and love them. You could go cheaper too, but these are really nice and recess into my ceiling paneling. These would connect into your 12v system once you build it. I also used this dimmer which was pricey but very nice because I used 8 of those LEDs and they can be pretty bright at night.

HumbleBeginnings said:
Is electrical power already on your to-do list? Or are you starting from a completely blank slate?

If you're looking for an immediate temporary solution while working on your electrical system, I started with some AAA battery lights like these before I was ready for my conversion. They surprised me how well they worked. 

I recently put these LED lights in my van and love them. You could go cheaper too, but these are really nice and recess into my ceiling paneling. These would connect into your 12v system once you build it. I also used this dimmer which was pricey but very nice because I used 8 of those LEDs and they can be pretty bright at night.

Thanks. The seats have been removed and a platform for a bed installed. That's about it. I aspire to have solar, etc etc. In the meantime, its primitive. But do-able!

for temp lighting I like the rechargeable lanterns. make sure they come with a 12v charger. highdesertranger

Bob turned me on to Luci Lights.  He's got a link to them if you see his youtube on them. 

I saw Walmart carries them now too.  Anyway, these are genius solar lights.  Unlike your garden lights, you can turn them off when you're not using them and charge them up in the sun.  They are surprisingly bright.  I got mine to last all night during the hurricane Irma ride-out.  Stick them in the sun, turn them on when you need a light.  They are inflatable, so they will give you a lantern effect. 

I used 2 of them for my dry run, and I'd like to get a couple more just to put outside.  They will deflate flat and take little space.  Check'm out.

If you are solo nothing simpler than a LED headlamp with rechargeable batteries and a smart 12v charger.

I always like the simple and cheap solution. So I use the 9-led push-lights from Walmart, with rechargeable batteries. One by the side door of the van, one in the back where I cook, and one by the bed.

This clip anywhere, wind-up for power 3 led water-proof gem is my $11 fav.

3afb5e55-4c5b-4278-aab1-a06d95b8f905_1.d39c6978112da2e6e804b0c9420fa984.jpeg

Easy to find some sort of battery operated LED lights that you can use for a while until you start to get your build going. I didn't do my electrical until I was quite a ways into my build so for the first year I used rechargeable lanterns that I found on Amazon.

Something very similar to these. I recharged them from a usb port while driving and they also were able to charge my cell phone if I needed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Portabl...08357042&sr=1-6&keywords=rechargeable+lantern

I have all my lights done in the van but I still keep these because they still work great outside if I am camping somewhere.

I've used AA-powered touch lights, various flashlights with magnets to hold them in place, headlamps, Luci lights, a solar rechargeable lantern, LED strip lights from the auto parts store, and recessed LED puck lights. As of right now I have three very bright recessed puck lights (one of them on a dimmer) wired in, some strip lights giving indirect light (also wired in) and one touch light. Oh, and my laptop screen provides plenty of light when I'm using it.