Life Hack Sink

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
Hi all,
In the spirit of upcycling I've decided to make a sink out of a 9" diameter mixing bowl that's been left unused. It's stainless steel. I have metal pipe and fittings but all of it is very mixed and makes it more complicated than it should be.  I do, however, have an old PVC nipple already glued to a fixture that could seat to the bottom of the bowl.  
PVC doesn't bond with metal (or so I've been told).  What about butyl tape and Dicor lap sealant?  After all it worked for my Maxxair flange? Please advise.  My goal is not to spend money on parts at a hardware store, I have a lot of junk around and feel something should work.

Thanks,
Rabbit

Epoxy. You can usually find a small tube — the kind with a double plunger to properly mix the proportions — at Dollar Tree. It's better than spending several bucks somewhere else for a tube that's more than you need. The gel type of epoxy makes it easier to get a good seal. Make sure both the bowl and the fitting are clean before gluing. And have a way to hold the pieces in place until it dries. And I'm assuming you have a way to make a hole in the bowl.

However, my sink hack is simpler — just the bowl, no drain. I either fling the used water on the ground or, if it contains soap and such, I pour it in my "toilet". I don't use much water in the first place. I use a spray bottle for dishes and do sponge baths. For the baths I pour just enough water in the bowl to get a washcloth wet, leaving almost nothing in the bowl. then I hang the washcloth to dry.

Rabbit1980 said:
Hi all,
In the spirit of upcycling I've decided to make a sink out of a 9" diameter mixing bowl that's been left unused. It's stainless steel. I have metal pipe and fittings but all of it is very mixed and makes it more complicated than it should be.  I do, however, have an old PVC nipple already glued to a fixture that could seat to the bottom of the bowl.  
PVC doesn't bond with metal (or so I've been told).  What about butyl tape and Dicor lap sealant?  After all it worked for my Maxxair flange? Please advise.  My goal is not to spend money on parts at a hardware store, I have a lot of junk around and feel something should work.

Thanks,
Rabbit

If you find a simple solution to that mass of fittings, please post it. I made the same type of sink and the fittings make it too long to comfortable change my gray water "tank"...which is a 2.5 gallon drinking water jug.

Butyl rubber tape will work excellently as a plumber's putty substitute for bedding a drain fitting into a  bowl.

Sorry for the delay but thanks to all who replied.   I used epoxy and lap sealant. Worked great.

Rabbit