Leveling a bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I have a mini van...DGC. I got the bed frame that Bob recommended in a video about an easy no-build set up. It’s a narrow twin. I put it together today. It was pretty easy. It would’ve been easier if I wasn’t trying to put it together inside the van in the parking garage of my apartment building. 

So, I’m wondering what options I have for leveling the bed. In the video, Bob uses lengths of PVC on the legs, but I don’t have the means to cut the PVC, although if I had the measurements, I could maybe get someone at the hardware store to cut it for me.

Are there any other ways to accomplish this?  What about pieces of wood, or those things specifically made to stick under furniture legs? I was thinking of getting some throw rugs and maybe just folding or bunching up the rug under the legs that need the extra help. Some of the legs are also resting on plastic from where the seats were folded down. I wanted a rug to protect the plastic.

How far off level are you?

I would try to make the bed the same as the van. Then when you park get the van level. When I say level I mean close tp level. I have gotten use to being a little off level. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
How far off level are you?

I would try to make the bed the same as the van.  Then when you park get the van level.  When I say level I mean close tp level.  I have gotten use to being a little off level.  Highdesertranger

I'll have to take a closer look. When I lifted the frame up to make it level with markings on the door, it looked to be maybe a couple inches. The floor slopes down towards where the second row seats were, and I thought of maybe putting extra throw rugs in that spot. But I was standing outside and reaching in and pushed on the frame, and it didn't wobble (like a table with a short leg would), so I'm not so sure it's going to be a big problem. I guess I'll have to just try it out and see. My mattress hasn't come, yet.

Yeah, I never thought about making sure I'm parked fairly level.  :)  I slept in a hotel once where the head of the bed was lower than the foot, and that was bizarrely uncomfortable.

Should be easy. I assume you will get some pieces of PVC and slip them over two of the legs to lift it up a bit? Just park how you would normally park, then use various blocks of woods, pieces of cardboard, scraps etc to get you raised up to something close to level. Then measure from the floor up to where the top of the PVC pipe will rest. PVC cuts very easily with a small wood saw. You could use a hacksaw even.

Problem is I don't have a saw and I don't want to buy one just for that purpose. If I were younger, I could use my feminine wiles to get the hardware store guy to cut it for me. Best I can hope for now is they take pity on me.  :D

Maybe someone here can give you a hand. Generally what area are you in? Highdesertranger

I'm currently working in Worcester, MA until the end of May. I won't necessarily NEED to sleep in my van anytime soon, but I was gonna take it on a test sleep when my mattress comes. There's a Cracker Barrel not far. I was gonna sleep there on one of my days off and then have a big yummy breakfast the next morning. I'm also test driving the dog. Wanna see if she's gonna bark at everything.

A hacksaw probably would come in handy. They aren't that big.

Dang HDR, you have all the neat tools. I just carry the smaller one I posted and only just got it when I was in Q.

highdesertranger said:
"A hacksaw probably would come in handy."

Yes it would.  But actually I would go with a multi purpose saw if I only had one.  Like this one,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-48-22-0305/202525764

It uses standard reciprocating saw blades.  So you can get blades for wood,  plastic,  metal,  or just about anything you can think of.

Highdesertranger

Now, THAT’S cool! I like that it looks like a knife and would possibly be easier for me to maneuver.  And I like that it folds, so it takes up less space in the plastic container, er, I mean tool box.  :) 

I’m assuming I would use a blade for plastic for cutting PVC?

Just tell them you are cutting PVC. A combo blade(wood/metal) or a metal blade will work. Highdesertranger

My tri-fold mattress came. I think it will be comfortable. When I sit on the bed, my head hits the van. Not a problem right now, but later on I may go to the trouble to saw the legs shorter. The bed is stable, although it does slope downwards towards the front, so I'll sleep on it so that my feet are at that end.

Can you actually cut PVC pipe with string (caulk line). You can seach for it on youtube.

A common request at PirateCamp was to shorten the minivan cot legs by 5" to allow sitting upright (almost)

#00 bedlegs.jpg

Use tape to mark the cuts.....remove and save the rubber foot......cut with a metal saw.......smooth edges and replace rubber foot.....and REPEAT !

Attachments

• #00 bedlegs.jpg
    #00 bedlegs.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 3
abnorm said:
A common request at PirateCamp was to shorten the minivan cot legs by 5" to allow sitting upright (almost)

Use tape to mark the cuts.....remove and save the rubber foot......cut with a metal saw.......smooth edges and replace rubber foot.....and REPEAT !

Good to know. I might wait until I visit my folks to do that. My dad has all the tools. Although I'd hate to lose the space under there. My big plastic container fits under there perfect right now.

I also have a DGC the 06 model, starting the build I have started a post here.. I will be starting the bed first then build other things after than, so hopefully, I will be doing this in about a week or so.