Let's talk Tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Van: 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with high top.

OEM tires: LT225/75R/16E 8 bolt pattern

Baby needs new feet but I'm at a loss of what to put on her.

Once she's got her new interior it will be road trip time - mostly highway but once there I need to handle gravel and dirt roads. It will all be 3 season.

Top three concerns are longevity, handling and traction. Second in line is quiet. Last concern is cost.

Give me suggestions and your experience.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, not too loud on the highway and decent for gravel and light offroading. I got mine at Discount Tire, about 170 per.

I have about 25,000 on mine and they look good. No problems yet.

I have a 2007 Chevy Express 2500 -- essentially the same as yours, but no high top. I figured tires were a top priority for a life on the road, so I spent more. I got four Michelin LTX M/S2. The user ratings at tirerack.com were high. They're quiet. They're rated for Low Rolling Resistance, meaning they'll use slightly less gas. Also, to squeeze out a bit more milage, I got them in a taller, narrower size: LT235/85-R16. Narrower = less friction and rolling resistance. Taller = slightly fewer revolutions per mile, which equals fewer engine revolutions per mile or slightly lower engine RPM at any given speed.
I have about half the tread left after 40,000+ miles. I drive on some crappy pavement and even worse unpaved trails with no problem (other than the time I foolishly ventured into sugar sand). If I was going to spend less time on pavement and more on unpaved roads, I might consider something with a more aggressive tread for the rear wheels. I ran over a sharp chunk of metal and had a blowout. Since I got the tires at Discount Tire, they replaced it for $35.

I did a fair amount of research and read a lot of reviews for my Kumho AT tires. At the time tire rack had them either rated one or 2 in competition with some firestones.

Now 3.5 years later these tires no longer even make the list and the firestones are still up at the top. Not sure what went on, but I believe a lot of the reviewers who had them initially and praised them found they no longer did after a while.
Or Tirerack just found that particular tire more profitable and pushed it with false reviews and ratings.

I like the tires. For an aggressive AT tread they are surprisingly quiet, and offroad traction has been very good. I do not really have much mileage on them and cannot really notice any tread loss, and I have abused them decending twisty mountain roads at the vans handling limits.

I plan on replacing them at 5 or 6 years and I expect they, like my last set of michelins, will have plenty of tread left.

I wish I got the Michelin LTX MS2 though. My previous set of michys were heavily abused doing high speed baja washboard at lowered pressure, and had 60K miles on them when I replaced them at 7 or 8 years of age, and still had half their tread.

My points are, do not place too much stock in TireRack's reviews or grading
Getting an AT tire just for the few times one needs to go offroad, might not be worth it. The Noise and extra drag really bite into MPG.
Well known name brands and popular models with a good reputation, have earned that reputation. The MS2 still has a fairly aggressive tread, I would not be afraid of taking it offroad.

LT tires have stiffer sidewalls and run rougher than passenger tires with an Extra load rating. LT tires need more PSI to carry the same load as the same size tire in a XL load rating. LT tires are already derated by 10% or so as they are expected to be installed on taller vehicles. P/XL tires ride a bit softer and need to be derated by that 10% weight capacity when installed on taller vehicles.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the Michelin MS2 over the Kumhos I got. But I do like the slightly larger size of 30x9.5x15 over the 235/75/15 size my Van calls for, and my Speedo is more accurate with the taller tires. But I lost around town MPG, by at least 1 or nearly 2 MPG as the tires are heavier, and require more power to turn as they have more leverage working against the drivetrain.

Discount tire will price match the cheapest delivered price from tire rack or other online tire dealers. I probably saved 150$ by bringing in a printed delivered price from tirerack.

everyone here has given good advice. I will give my 2 cents. with your mostly hi-way driving I would go with a hi-way tire. Michelins can't be beat. so get a name brand with a good reputation. get a light truck(LT) tire. get load range E. get a road hazard warranty. follow that advice and you will not be sorry. highdesertranger

Just a quick add and vote for Michelins. My Ford E-150 had them OEM and I didn't get a chance to wear them out before old age took over.

Mike R

All great answers. Michelin is tuff to beat. Match the load rating with your vehicle weight. I'm guessing you need E rating.

Cost you rate low, but what I did was buy a set of pull offs from an owner of a one ton truck that was lifting and adding oversized tires. I got 5 BFG's (tuff trail I believe) and factory mags for $600. There mild A/T tread as one would expect for a factory tire.

6652ab13a0543e7af5c008e84c886fd7.jpg

Remember to check the DOT date codes. Some "new" tires are not that new! Last 4 digits of the number are the week and year of manufacture.

I have been unimpressed with Michelins, both on my minivan and my Mom's car. Poor traction on wet roads. They do last a long time, but the tread compound is too firm for good performance, in my admittedly limited experience. I always liked Kelly Tires, when my local shop was open. But they closed.

I've used Yokohama Geolander for about 20 years. The price has always been good and they have never had a stone break. The only problems I've had are nails and one time I ran into the side of a stump, slashing the sidewall. They have good traction with some weight in the back, they wear evenly, not any noisier than your standard all terrain tire, and while it doesn't excel in any one condition (snow, wet, mud, etc.) it does well in all conditions. In my area they are extremely common and may be the most common truck tire on the road; the biggest reason for that is the price is right for the above average performance.

My next tires (am trying something new) are going to be Hankook W409 Winter i-Pike. I've had a chance to drive a truck with those and compared the same road with mine. No comparison. It was snowy and the Winter i-Pikes ate my Geolanders for lunch. You said you wanted 3 season tires, so this likely isn't a good tire for you.

Michelins are great, but they are expensive. If you go with a name brand like Cooper Discover, Yokohama Geolander, Michelin, Toyo, BF Goodrich, etc. you will be good. You may end up having some buyer's remorse over another tire, but you shouldn't. Those are all very good tires and you would not be wrong buying any one of those.

I recommend load range D or E. Anything more is overkill and makes the tires very heavy, although those are regroovable. I've seen load range C perform amazingly well under severe conditions, but would not recommend C's unless you are have a light load. Even when my truck is empty, I have destroyed anything less than a load range C, but have never had a problem (except for nails, glass, poor driving) with C and above. I know people with cars that handle the gravel roads without tire problems. They definitely know something I don't.

I'd like to thank all of you for weighing in on tire choices. It's much appreciated.

To my major surprise, I can buy those Michelin LTX m/s2's here in Ontario for almost the same price as I can stateside. I'll pay a penalty in taxes and install fees but not enough to justify the gas bill, currency exchange or the worry to do cross border shopping for them. With any luck I can get them on sale! :D

It's the first item I've price compared that didn't make sense to buy south of the silly white line. This is very comforting to me as the front tires on the van are definitely original tires so are 12 years old. I can nurse them 60 miles to the tire dealer instead of 8 hours to Flint...yeehaw!

And actually, given the longer and better warranty, I'm willing to pay the extra $65.00 a tire over the TBC tires I was given a quote on. Good rubber meeting the pavement is paramount to me. I'd rather drive something that looks like a rustbucket than go anywhere on disreputable tires. Stopping 50' of RV and trailer with a blown front tire was eye-opening!!

Now if winter would ever end, I could get this baby done up! Come on spring!!

I got four Coopers that were made for occasional off-road about 5000 miles ago. Bought them at Discount Tire and they do free rotations.

Check out this article - Expedtition Portal tested a bunch of tires for expedition use, which sounds somewhat like your intended use, albeit maybe a little less radical. Nonetheless it might give you some ideas to look at.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Also, all tires now come with a uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG). Google that term, then you can compare tires based on the performance area your looking for, and have some reasonable idea of how different tires compare to each other in different categories.

idn88 said:
Check out this article - Expedtition Portal tested a bunch of tires for expedition use, which sounds somewhat like your intended use, albeit maybe a little less radical. Nonetheless it might give you some ideas to look at.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Also, all tires now come with a uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG). Google that term, then you can compare tires based on the performance area your looking for, and have some reasonable idea of how different tires compare to each other in different categories.

Haha, I deliberately avoided buying a 4 wheel drive vehicle so that the reasonable and cautious side of my brain wouldn't let the adventurous side of my brain get me into trouble by going THAT far off the road. My son has the off road vehicle with the jacked up suspension and 38" tires etc. etc. I'll let him take me off roading....:D We'll just leave his g/f at home so we can have fun!!

When I meant gravel and dirt, I meant the logging roads around here and BLM land when I finally get free!

I took a look at the UTQG stuff and then read this:

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_tires/a/Uniform-Tire-Quality-Grading-Explained.htm

Not all it's cracked up to be from the looks of it.

I second, or third, or fourth the vote on the LTX MS, I have had them, I've suggested friends get them, my dad has them, everybody loves them. We don't deal with much rain or snow here so I can't comment on that but for just driving down a road, great tires!

I've also had the Yokahama, I would suggest them as well if they made sense for some reason like more offroad use, LTX if you're more worried about a smooth highway experience, Yokahama if you need the added traction at the expense of a louder ride and slightly shorter life.

Keep in mind pretty much all those big name tire companies make their tires in China these days. One company that I'd suggest is Hankook tires. They are a south Koran company and make very good quality tires.

Their tires are cheaper than most of the big names but still a quality tire that isn't made in China. I had a set of Hankook DynaPro ATMs on my westy and they were pretty awesome a d I'm putting another set on my new Van. They did have a little road noise due to being an all terrain tire but you will get that with any of that style.

The tires I had before these were BFG ATs and 2 sets of them were dry roting and cracking long before the thread life was at an end. That's why I bought the Hankooks which were great.

Also I would stay far away from Goodyear tires. I have had side wall blisters on different types (after years and years of no blisters) when I went back to Goodyear with my problem they said it was from hitting potholes. I have hit curbs so hard it bent the lip of the rim and had no damage to the actual tire yet these blistered within a year and under 10k of use. Man I was pissed.

my bfg mud terrains are made in the USA. says so right on the side wall. cdiggy that's why you need road hazard. I get mine at Costco and they have always honored their road hazard no questions asked. highdesertranger

Getting opinions about tires is like asking which is better, Dodge, Ford or Chevy.

In my 22 years of guiding a tractor-trailer around the US i lost a steering tire once. A Michelin with less than 10,000 miles, sidewall blew. After a few moments of panic while I tried to keep the ol' Pete in one lane and then get off the road My old heart got a free stress test.

In all fairness Michelin decided that that tire had a manufacturing defect to which I replied "No ####" . I was refunded my service call and damage to my wheel. And refunded for both tires. I am sure Michelin corrected that defect and builds quality products. But nothing I own will ever have one on it.

It all comes down to what you think you will be safe with. Anything can(and will) break so just do you research and as others have stated, try and stay away from China made tires, not much QC.

Best of luck and travel safe. Bob J.

bobj said:
Getting opinions about tires is like asking which is better, Dodge, Ford or Chevy.

In my 22 years of guiding a tractor-trailer around the US i lost a steering tire once. A Michelin with less than 10,000 miles, sidewall blew. After a few moments of panic while I tried to keep the ol' Pete in one lane and then get off the road My old heart got a free stress test.

In all fairness Michelin decided that that tire had a manufacturing defect to which I replied "No ####" . I was refunded my service call and damage to my wheel. And refunded for both tires. I am sure Michelin corrected that defect and builds quality products. But nothing I own will ever have one on it.

It all comes down to what you think you will be safe with. Anything can(and will) break so just do you research and as others have stated, try and stay away from China made tires, not much QC.

Best of luck and travel safe. Bob J.

I've only ever blown out a tire at highway speeds once! You're right, heart stress test here we come. 35' of Class A RV with a 15' trailer on behind and a collie panicking in the passenger seat from the noise it made. Fortunately my dad had instilled some good emergency driving techniques in me decades earlier. I'm thinking it was about a half hour before I quit shaking though, the dog a little longer...:rolleyes:

It's one of the reasons I'm so fussy about what I'm putting on the van.

bobj said:

Next we can debate engine oil. :p