Less expensive 12-volt fridge recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmieW

Reaction score
I was looking at prices and WOW! Dometics are expensive! Even the smallest one is over $300. I saw some other brands like Schumaker, ARB, Koolatron and of course, Coleman that were much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these less expensive brands?

Check amps drawn over 24 hours, much more important when boondocking than purchase price.

Danfoss-style compressor, not three-way or any absorption type.

Engels last forever with fewest repairs, the next most important priority.

See the Max Burton thread, apparently OK for a cheapo, OEM is Waeco, decent Danfoss clone.

Yes, compressor fridges are expensive, but if you add up the cost of ice, the extra gas to go buy it every few days, the wear and tear on your vehicle to get the ice, and most of all, the cost and hassle of all the water-soaked and ruined food, a compressor fridge is well worth it. We had a peltier excuse for a fridge out of ignorance, about 10 years ago. It ended up in the donate pile. Had a 12v/120v/lpg fridge and it was not much better.

You have to have enough battery power for the peltier or the compressor fridge or carry propane for the ammonia absorption fridge (and must stay fairly level). We ended up with a truckfridge/indel b/isotherm/vitrifrigo (same manufacturer, different quality /trim levels).
Ted

WalkaboutTed said:
  We ended up with a truckfridge/indel b/isotherm/vitrifrigo (same manufacturer, different  quality /trim levels). 

Me too with the Truckfridge and have been very happy with it compared to the 1995 Dometic that was installed in my Coach House. Did some research on TruckFridge and as Walkabout Ted said; they are the same as his list of "brands", all the same manufacturer. Mine says "Made in Italy" vs. China. Very large inside, quiet when it runs, uses much less power than the Dometic by casual observation. I have no idea what amperage it draws. I would buy another when/if the time comes. Your opinion/mileage may vary.........

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Ours, the 4.6 cu ft Truckfridge, is supposed to use 24 watts an hour. Ours drew about that before we insulated it with between 1.5" to 3" of insulation. It's drawing less now. Earlier this week, the fridge and a Fantastic fan used 62 amps in 24 hours. The temp is very stable {I have a high/low memory thermometer inside) and there is no fluctuation due to the heat in the van-right now the ambient temperature is 100F, and higher in the vehicle. It wasn't cheap, but it will be well worth it as I like to cook from scratch.
Ted

WalkaboutTed said:
Yes, compressor fridges are expensive, but if you add up the cost of ice, the extra gas to go buy it every few days, the wear and tear on your vehicle to get the ice, and most of all, the cost and hassle of all the water-soaked and ruined food, a compressor fridge is well worth it. We had a peltier excuse for a fridge out of ignorance, about 10 years ago.  It ended up in the donate pile. Had a 12v/120v/lpg fridge and it was not much better.

You have to have enough battery power for the peltier or the compressor fridge or carry propane for the ammonia absorption fridge (and must stay fairly level).  We ended up with a truckfridge/indel b/isotherm/vitrifrigo (same manufacturer, different  quality /trim levels).  
Ted

Well, that's all well and good if you have that kind of money, but I don't, so I may have to go the cooler route until I can get it. I know it's a PITA going for ice every few days, but I'm looking at some videos on how to get your cooler to keep ice longer and I'm thinking that building an insulated cooler box would be way cheaper than a $600 refrigerator. If I like van living, I'll save up for a fridge, but if not, I'm not out money I can't get back.

It must be nice not to have to worry about coming up with that kind of money up front. Those fridges cost almost as much as I live on every month.

ETA: Besides, I can barely afford the 100 watt system. I certainly couldn't afford more solar and the fridge.

AmieW - go to Engel's website (or fb, can't remember which one, maybe both) has contest information about winning a free Engel + other goodies.

I understand you think you don't have the money for a refrigerator but if you spend 5 bucks on ice every 2 days for a year that's over 900 bucks. you will never recoup that money, you can't resell melted ice. start looking for a used one I just bought my third Engel slightly used for 300 bucks half the price as a new one. stay away from the absorption and peltier units. highdesertranger

I'll look for a used one, but I may have to use a cooler for awhile while I look. It doesn't seem like there are many people selling them around here, but then, this is a college town. There would be more of them further south in FL. Once I get my van, I'll be able to get around to outlying areas more to search for this stuff.

Not being snippy, but spending that money a little at a time is not the same as just having $900 up front to spend. I don't have credit cards, so I can't just pull one out and buy it and the pay it off over time, and I doubt I'll have that kind of money lying around by the time I have to leave here. It's a struggle for me to reach $2,000 in income a month because of my health and because I'm only allowed to make so much every month with SS. Since I'm self-employed, I have to pay double FICA taxes. I don't have a 9-5 job. I'm a freelancer, so it's usually feast or famine. In order to pull in $400 a week that I can keep, I have to work sometimes 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. There is no minimum wage in freelancing, as you probably know.

I just get the impression here that we lower income van dwellers are neither understood nor wanted here. I feel much more comfortable on the Reddit vandwellers forum, so I'll head over there now.

:huh:  X 2.  I'm glad I have such a thick skin..........otherwise all these unhelpful....self centered.......don't give a damn about anyone but themselves rich folks woulda run me off from here long ago.  ROFLMAO

Jewellann

Who needs soap operas anyways?  I live one :)

One of the big reasons I favor this site over some other well known RV sites is because this site UNDERSTANDS that money is in tight supply.

There is a prominent vocal member of the other site who gets custom built everything. He even designs them himself and talks as if he is spending "chump change" and that there isn't any viable alternative! That site turned my stomach eventually for he was/is such an A-Hole!

This site? Helpful and down to earth.
Sure we have our more well to do members dropping $30,000 + on a new Van to build, but they don't lord it over those who have less.

You are among your brethern here........

Sadly, it is the WRONG time of the year to find a smoking deal on a used box for many are looking for the same thing as the season begins.

Dave

The cheapest way is to split your weekly grocery run in two sets. plan to eat your cold foods within the first 3.5 days. Then use your storage meals the second half after the ice is gone.

yes there is sort of a elitist thing here too. Nowhere near as bad as RV sites though. I noticed it right off the bat 5-6 years ago when I first started looking around. Most peoples budgets here are more than Ive ever spent including paying rent. the gear advice is almost always 'spend a couple grand on the most expensive widget you can find'

and since no one has seemed to answer the OP directly...those "cheaper" fridges like the coleman are a total waste of money and not a fridge. they're TEC coolers which are essentially giant CPU coolers. They have 2-3X more amp draw and barely get colder than the outside in the real world. Unfortunately the advice you got here is right....you're either stuck with ice or spending $300-600 for an actual compressor fridge. (or getting a $100 minifridge and spending hundreds more in solar, generator fuel, or campground fees trying to run it)

I set priorities. Not the first, but a 12 volt fridge was up near the top of my list. I had much experience with no cooler, ice cooler and propane cooler. I am glad I have a small Indel-B. It took a long time to save for the purchase, but is the best decision I have recently made.

AmieW said:
I just get the impression here that we lower income van dwellers are neither understood nor wanted here.
I had exactly the opposite impression/experience.

A ice box where the ice block is in a container up top not in contact with the food will last much longer than a cooler will.

As for the rest. We have to remember that a item doesn't have to be the best with every bell and whistle to be good enough. I am thrilled to see threads like the MB fridge thread. It may not help here because what one can not afford is just that, what they can not afford. That said, if they work out they are a 12v fridge that cost less and may fit someones needs.

Many of the things I suggest are second tier like the generator, refurbished like the cell booster and lacking every bell and whistle like the Eco-worthy charge controllers. They work just fine and the money saved means I can have more even if I can't hold my head high. By the way, my wonderful Engel fridge almost went back it was so loud. It rumbled when it ran until a extremely rough ride caused the compressor to set better. I agree with Sternwake that there is something in how they mount them that needs to be looked at.

mayble said:

x2

On other sites so may are like 'why don't you just throw money at it, as I did whilst patting myself on the back in my quest to relate my extreme levels of self importance'

We seem to be living in times where  being hyper sensitive, taking offense and seeking sources of indignation is the goto response to every and anything.

The Sawafuji compressor's rubber bushings likely have a sweet spot temperature where they are most effective at dampening its vibrations. I spent so much effort to isolate my compressor from fridge box, and fridge box from cabinet with improvements achieved, but sometimes my knuckles decided to make dents in the door when i would be awoken, or on the edge of sleep and fail to achieve it because of the compressor kicking on.

Even with the noise,  it was a million times better than block ice every 5 days, and My danfoss powered vitrifrigo does not bother me at all.

The fridge and more than enough solar to power it are by far the best improvements I've made to the van.  it is worth the monetary outlay in every way.

I've lived my entire 'working life' under the poverty line and and bought a used Waeco off Craigslist as soon after I found out about 12v compressor fridges. It paid for itself many times over and I ended up selling it to my buddy Nick (who's on disability) when I picked up a used Engel from Craigslist. I also bought a smaller used Waeco from another friend and then, having bought ANOTHER used CF-50 from Craigslist, sold the smaller used Waeco to my buddy Mike (both Nick and Mike had been going the ice & cooler route), who's also on disability. Both of them totally love their Waeco's and wouldn't go back to ice.
One thing I'd like to clarify is that I paid less than 1/3 retail by buying used and that I had to pull the secondary electronics on both of my CF-50's and replace them with another thermostat, the first electronic and the second a mechanical. ..Willy.

mayble said:

:)  What you said x2  :)   I like it here! 
 Even when you guys don't realize that I'm always right :p
          :D JOKE THAT'S A JOKE!!  :D

Jewellann