Less expensive 12-volt fridge recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
refurbed weboost

Eco-worthy charge controllers.

I am watching netflix on my lap top and responding to thos thread via my cell thanks to that refurbed booster.

Any help you cam offer with my ecoworthy charge controller would be very much appreciated.

Got my engel on sale from a post here too

If OP had stuck around I just posted a link to a cheap 100w renegy kit.

And for what it's worth I've been using my engel as a freezer and swapping ice packs to a Yeti knock off with great success. Once I build out an insulated box for them I'll be set.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SternWake said:
We seem to be living in times where  being hyper sensitive, taking offense and seeking sources of indignation is the goto response to every and anything.

on one hand this is very true
on the other i have yet to be in a duel for the stupid stuff that come out of my mouth

stick with non quick decaying foods until you save up enough and come across a good enough fridge,i just saw that suanne has one for sale

you get what you pay for and cheap things tend to be cheap

We used one of the Coleman one's for years. We always had the AC for it, so I never worried about what it would burn for DC. Ice was so expensive. In reality, not so many things really need refrigeration anyway. I just recently watched one of Bob's video where a woman had no refrigeration. I would really evaluate the space I would need. Ice is really expensive, if one can get block ice, not easily located, that helps.

I want to x2 this website, its value to people of all abilities, incomes, you name it!

I love this site because everyone is so nice and accepting. When people are specific about their budget and needs, it seems everyone always pitches in to help them figure it out. I always advise that when asking on any forum, you take the info that works, and extend a thank you to everyone that takes their time and energy to post a suggestion.

Blogs: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/?s=refrigerator&submit=Go and http://www.cheaprvliving.com/?s=ice+chest&submit=Go If one will search for "full-time van living without refrigeration", several videos will come up on youtube. I would start there and see if I could possibly get by and decide what I needed to refrigerate to think about what I was going to need. I know some people have items that they must keep refrigerated.

This has been a very disappointing thread for me, I deleted many posts.

While there is no question we are composed of many wonderful and helpful people who are kind and very knowledgeable, we have a very consistent problem with meeting people where they are. We almost always give great advice, but much too often it won't work even a little bit for the OP and so instead of being helpful it's frustrating. Then they sound frustrated and we lay into them.

We need to stop that. WE MUST MEET PEOPLE WHERE THEY ARE.

OFFERING THE "RIGHT" ADVICE THAT THE OP CAN'T USE IS HARMFUL, NOT HELPFUL

It's never acceptable on this forum to blame them because they are too sensitive--even if they are. The burden is on us to meet them where they are.

Having said all that, I'm just as guilty as anyone else, so it's something we all need to work on together.

Let's agree together, "In this tribe, no man or woman left behind."

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
And for what it's worth I've been using my engel as a freezer and swapping ice packs to a Yeti knock off with great success. Once I build out an insulated box for them I'll be set.

Thanks for posting this.  Seems like I heard it before? And forgot it.  I take 2 types of insulin and pick up a 90 day supply at refill time.  Without part D Medicare they are over $3,000 every 3mo.  I certainly cannot afford to not keep them cool.  The Aliner has a 3 way frig.  However I may not always travel with it.  A good 12v frig is on my "GET LIST"the idea of using 1 frig as a freezer only is a good one as far as I'm concerned.  I'll do like you for trips in the van  12v freezer and ice packs or small frozen bottles in a cooler.  The insulin doesn't take up much room so I can even have a small cooler dedicated to it alone.  The loss of even a 1mo supply @ full retail is higher than a frig would cost.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal on a used one.

Jewellann

I would like a larger cooler the grizzly 15 can is a tad small for me. I was considering selling it to get a biggee one. PM me if interested.

Retail is $145. Would probably do $100 including shipping. I paid $100. It's never left my house. Depending on how outragiuse shipping is I would probably eat the cost. I have a couple blue ice packs I would throw in too.

Not every good idea is a winner. It works GREAT. It's just a little too small for my needs.

I bought an item from anothee CRVL member if you want a referance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gsfish said:
In first reply I included the link to a previous thread that covered the subject in detail and was thanked by the OP. Didn't feel that it was necessary to go through it all over again.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-12-volt-chest-cooler-your-advise-please?highlight=thermoelectric

Guy

Actually, post #29 in the thread above summed things up quite well (thanks master plumber) for the person who doesnt have the cash or like me, the immediate need for a compressor fridg:

"[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'd love to have an Engle, or similar, but as with many, there always seems to be something else that needs money spent on it, For now I use a Coleman Extreme ice chest. When my son and I left for RTR last month it was of course below freezing in Colorado, but thankfully warmed up nicely by the time we reached RTR. Our ice chest is 70 quarts size, and I put 4 large juice bottles with water frozen in the ice chest. I also put all the meat we took into the ice chest frozen. But things like milk, eggs, vegetables, etc... were of course just cold and not frozen. After 6 days there was still a little tiny bit of ice in the bottles, and what was left of the food, and more importantly the beer, was still cold. On the 7th day I bought a block of ice and that was all the ice I bought for the entire 15 days I was on the road. I tried not to ever leave the ice chest lid open while I was cooking, but I did get into it several times each day. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hopefully that gives you a good comparison for what a good ice chest vs a cheap one is capable of. And if you do ever get the funds for a fridge the ice chest still makes a great back up, or just dry food storage. As others have noted, I wouldn't waste my money on one of the thermal electric coolers. And as much as I think they're cool, I also wouldn't go for the really high end ice chests like Yeti's. A good Coleman or other brand that is listed as a "5 day" cooler will serve you well for your needs."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]End quote[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]As you can see, if the OP had read down to this level, he would have come across at least 3 replies more supportive of using a cooler. So, I guess when people form opinions like all the CRVL members are too rich, they will not do any reading in an attempt to test their hypothesis.  Now if this was IRV2 or another RV forum, he'd be closer to right, but this isn't, and even a cursory search would have shown that.[/font]