Length of hose for propane heater for van build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popcorn2007

Reaction score
1 -I was pricing the camco 12ft low pressure gas regulator hose a month ago and it was going for $20. Now, its $35+. I've seen some off brands going for $20 -- shinestar and gaspro. Any comments on going with an off brand? I've read they are poorly built if i read correctly.

2- Do i really need a 12ft hose for a van build? Has anyone run into any problems with 8 feet hose being too short?

Too short or too long depends on where you want to put things and how much you might move things around. The cargo space in an extended van is 12 feet long, so unless you want to put the heater and tank at opposite ends of the van you don't need a 12 foot hose.

My tank and heater/stove are only about three feet apart because by the time I put the bed and cabinets in place that's what was left. My hose is 5 feet and there's still plenty of slack.

You could see what length you need by running a piece of rope or string between your heater and tank, then measuring it.

Keep in mind that the longer the hose, the longer it will take to consume all the gas in that line after you close the valve to turn it off. I have a 12ft hose on my grill and it takes 15+ minutes for the grill to shut off from my closing the valve.
Ted