least hassle state for mobile living?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Which state or province *in your experience* had the fewest, or at least the least serious issues with sleeping in your vehicle and/or camping on public land? My guess is that is going to be Alaska or Montana, or any low population state with little illegal immigration (i.e. not a border state) and with a low population density. But I have no experience.

I like to think of it differently - not the State so much, but how far you are from a City or Town. Generally the farther the better from a large city. There are still plenty of towns that you can within 5 miles of that are not yet a problem, even though there may be problems in the State. It's the problems that generally create animosity.

New Mexico State Parks has a low cost annual RV pass. That's a good sign, but I would stay away from the border proper.

That said, we could do a better job at documenting problem areas, and enforcement, on our end. Doing cleanups in those areas would definitely be good karma.

I am mainly in California, Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona. I have only been asked to move once and that was at a Park-& Ride in California. but I usually stay far away from interstates and medium to large cities. highdesertranger

The level of jurisdiction to look at is not state-wide, but that of the Police Chief or Sheriff.

That is, county or township.

The local rules as written may be exactly the same in a dozen jurisdictions, but the time & energy put into enforcement will be a local matter.

Within a general area, the nicer / wealthier the neighborhood, the stricter they will be. Unless you get a very liberal community that is actively compassionate to the "homeless" which rubric van dwelling falls under legally.

Thank you - this is very useful to know. And also difficult to act one since these things are not written down and require local knowledge.

Being given a knock and asked to move on is not the end of the world.

Better it be a hodgepodge, if uniformly enforced there'd be no place to go.

As it is now, just move on over the next hill. . .

Usually areas of the country that are remote and the least populated and have the fewest dollars to spend on enforcement. That said, if you stay within the rules anyway in areas like this no ones going to waste time harassing a good guy that might come to their aid some day. Backup can be hours away for officers in remote parts of the west. A good guy is someone that truly cares about the land and the rules to preserve it for everyone.

Anywhere out west is good, I have spent most of my time between WA, OR, and CA. I have definitely had the most issues in CA but I wouldn't call it a bad state to vehicle dwell in overall, CA has pockets of extremes on both sides. Everything from fancy suburbs where you will 100% be bothered to slab city where people squat for 50 years without anyone caring. Oregon as whole though is a pretty safe bet, from Portland to the most remote corners of the state, you would have to be parked pretty badly to get a knock in that state.

I can't speak for the whole State, but in Pahrump Nv. there is a lot of BLM land and there are many people squatting full time just East of town and nobody seems to care.
I have a friend in a converted bus that bought a plot of land right next to the park / fairgrounds for $2,000, and he lives in his bus full time, (legally he could stay for 6 months a year), and has been there a couple of years now without problems.

Fivealive said:
Anywhere out west is good... Oregon as whole though is a pretty safe bet, from Portland to the most remote corners of the state, you would have to be parked pretty badly to get a knock in that state.

True overall, but the delightful and blissfully cool Oregon coast is very tough on boondockers.

If only Oregon had an annual state pass for its many splendid coastal state parks! The model for this type of much-to-be-wished-for state park pass is New Mexico. Just wish the Oregon state legislators would follow the example of their Land of Enchantment brethren (and sistern, if such a word exists.)

I agree about population making a big difference. But here is another tip to consider or research: cities or counties that provide a free "park" where people can camp for a period of time. These places are usually trying to attract tourists/campers to stay overnight or more and spend some money on a meal or whatever.

This night, I'm at such a place just a mile or so north of Townsend, Montana. It is at the southern end of Canyon Lake (and I think this is built by the Bureau of Reclamation but it may be maintained via the city or county???). It has brick housed vault toilets, water pumps and trash cans. The overnight area is a circle with curved places to pull to the side and each has an iron fire pit and a concrete picnic table. Little shade but the day use areas have more trees. Totally free and you are guaranteed no hassle unless you are doing something you shouldn't be. Sooooo much better than a Walmart parking lot for a quick overnight (like my planned visit to Helena to the north for a cheap and quick haircut tomorrow LOL). And I do patronize the local restaurants and Bob's Thriftway grocery. They also have the Townsend Ranger District office here so I dropped in there for more local scoop.

Another place I stayed a few days and I had used years before is in Columbus, MT. Larger campground right on the Yellowstone River. Again, toilets, water and dumpster. Free or they do have a donation box (not required). There are shade trees at most of the sites.

Even NM has one I used years ago.... the tiny village of San Jon, NM right at an I-40 exit. There is a sign with rules but basically you just park in a designated spot of your choosing.

You can find more of these if you are patient at using apps like freecampsites.com

The Mayer of Seattle Wa. has made it clear If a police officer looks in your vehicle any size and it looks like you are living in it you will not be ticketed you mite be asked to move but thats it there really trying up here to help the homeless or us home on wheels folk just trying to get by. great place for the summer up here lots to do.