Law enforcement question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Ok, so as a few of you know I have an 06 grand caravan, I have been going back and forth about how I am going to work around the rear windows.

well I am thinking that I really don't need them.. (no I do not plan to remove them..)

But I am just thinking about covering them up and using that space for Storage.. 

Now, to my knowledge I am thinking this would not be an issue, and I can not see how I could get a ticket for having those windows permenantly covered up.. 

From my knowledge the rear view mirror is not required by law.. 
And there are vans out there that do not have these windows.. 

So my thought process is that it would not be a big deal..

Anyone out there have any knowledge of this or experience with this situation? or a similar situation?

If no rearview mirror, must have left and right mirrors and you're good to go.

think about it - you will be governed by the vehicle code of the states you travel thru. Probably easy to Google or call the state police and ask

To clarify, what do you mean by "rear windows?" The rear SIDE windows, the one across the very back, or all three?

mattvei said:
think about it - you will be governed by the vehicle code of the states you travel thru. Probably easy to Google or call the state police and ask
I most certainly can and probably will contact State Police.. And if that was all I wanted to know I would not have posted the thread.. I am trying to find out if anyone has had good or bad experience.. So thank you for your input.

As far as I know you can block all the windows except the windshield and the 2 front door windows. You must have suitable side mirrors(and know how to use them). Now as far as what a suitable side mirror is, I guess that's up to the officer. Remember this was free advice on the internet, look it up. I know in California what I posted is the law. Highdesertranger

Many carryalls and cargo vans did not come with any windows besides the windshield and two side door windows from the factory. The only time I've had any issues is when those are cracked, broken or missing and tinted beyond the state limits. Most states require side mirrors if there are no rear windows. Keeping the passenger side window on the sliding door unobstructed so you can see on coming traffic at intersections that are at an angle other than 90 degrees for me is a huge help in avoiding accidents.

Well high desert stranger... in California I’ll bet even windows are known to cause cancer. So I can’t believe they don’t let you block em all. Haha! (Seems like everything you buy has a statement that at least something in that product is known to cause cancer by the state of California).
But just know (back to original poster) windshield shouldn’t have anything more then visors and rear view mirror blocking it. Some states get kinda cranky about stuff hanging from mirror. But my work vans never had windows on the back doors.

I always liked the dancing hula girls better!

The Grand Caravan's outside mirrors are adequate.

Think about that minivans were designed for families.
With kids in the back seats and stuff piled up in the back, the inside mirror would be useless for monitoring traffic.

I had a 1997 Caravan ES. At my height, the inside rear view mirror was always in my sight line, so I took it off. I have always relied on outside mirrors. the inside mirror was only used to check on passengers.

On the weekends, I carried a race kart and gear, packed floor to ceiling. The mirror would have been useless anyway.

If they do stop you, it probably won't be because of blacked out or blocked back windows.

One other thing, an individual state's rules only apply to private vehicles that are registered in that state.

Say, you have a car with heavy tint on the driver and passenger windows, legal in California at the time and the car has CA plates, but illegal in Michigan for MI plated vehicles. [This is from 1990s, I know nothing about current CA rules.] Coworker moves from CA to MI to work with me. When he changed his plates, then he had to get the tint removed. If he was just traveling through, no problem. No one said a thing until he had MI plates.

like bullfrog said many vans/cargo vehicles do not have side windows in back or a back window. fully enclosed so I would think you could easily cover all windows as you like. I don't think you would have a ticket worry on doing just that.

My Peterbilt Motorhome has never had a rear view mirror! And the side mirrors are awesome. Also, add one of those convex bullet mirrors so you can see close-in vehicles which will be in your blind spot with your regular side mirrors.

Just my opinion . . .

Look at any VW Westfalia bus. The rear windows are present but blocked by cabinets (depending on the year and interior model, left, right, or both). You are fine.