Lauan and plywood finishing tips FYI.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
Both lauan and plywood have the advantages of being light, solid, easy to work, strong and fairly durable.
And the high quality sheets look great stained or clear coated but pricey expensive. Or as some would say, spendy. 
For those on a budget, often the expensive isn't an option. Obviously, could use a little in high visibility areas for impact and quality finish.

I like to use the cheapest possible in a situation and then hiding or covering the rough finish. You can always paint with a high quality alkyd paint.

Last few projects, what I have tried and liked is using Rust-Oleum enamel which adheres well and gives a fairly durable, shiny plastic coating finish without sanding. Couple coats gives a smooth tough finish yet still showing some grain for character and texture. And FYI, Ace hardware carries their own brand which comes in a wider variety of colors and even custom tinted to many colors for the look you are going for.

For outside applications, have found after three years, the white roof coating that comes in both acrylic and silicone versions found at home Depot, have been durable on the plywood roof high top that I have. Better than a high quality exterior alkyd primer+ paint.

And on the tnttt website, they have a great option for weatherproofing ply and wood. Believe it is a mixture of polyurethane and mineral spirits, applied in a couple coats to give wood excellent water resistance and impermeability. This along with PMF give other options to weather proof exposed plywood.

Another option available at home Depot is a frp sheet that one can use to finish their interior. It is plastic, light, durable and about $20-30 per 4*8 sheet. It only comes in white.

Anyone else care to share their own tips on what has worked for them in their experiences?

Pic of Rust-Oleum enamel painted plywood.
Adheres well, no sanding required on basic plywood and giving a durable finish.
IMG_20171220_132804-480x640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171220_132804-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20171220_132804-480x640.jpg
    90.4 KB
If you want a more natural look, try instant coffee on the wood! We used a high-concentration coffee mixture to stain much of our interior wood and it looks great. Gives it a nice natural look, popping the grain and darkening slightly (two coats is even better) with no chemical stink, and very cheap as well. Kerri posted an example on <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcp6VvHl_1q/?taken-by=asolojourner">her Instagram</a>

I tore off my old roof and put on a new one of PMF a couple of weeks ago. The last layer I painted on was of Kool-Seal, (or whatever the cheap Home Depot brand is called). Had our first rain on it this week and it held up wonderfully. I'm really pleased with it. I borrowed a paint sprayer and will be painting the exterior in the next few days, once this dratted wind dies down.

Van-Tramp said:
If you want a more natural look, try instant coffee on the wood! We used a high-concentration coffee mixture to stain much of our interior wood and it looks great. Gives it a nice natural look, popping the grain and darkening slightly (two coats is even better) with no chemical stink, and very cheap as well. Kerri posted an example on <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcp6VvHl_1q/?taken-by=asolojourner">her Instagram</a>

Great idea. I've used coconut oil and finely ground coffee. Works great and non-toxic!

Ah, I smell. Going for that tropical coconut and coffee aroma ambience. Effective aphrodisiac? 
Or still wasting away in Margaritaville?
Music video, Jimmy buffet

Personally, going for a contemporary, minimalist postmodern look to incite some repressed architectural angst and create "tension". :cool:

Minivanmotoman said:
Ah, I smell. Going for that tropical coconut and coffee aroma ambience. Effective aphrodisiac? 
Or still wasting away in Margaritaville?
Music video, Jimmy buffet

Personally, going for a contemporary, minimalist postmodern look to incite some repressed architectural angst and create "tension". :cool:

I have to admit, you've got me thinking of red wine stain now...........

:D

Ok ok, this is supposed to be a serious reference thread.
No more fun or entertaining videos, work related only from now on! :( 
How do you expect to finish that interior if you're too busy watching YouTube videos and commenting on the forums? 
Any off topic posters from now on will be sent to their van without supper. And will have to deal with the moderators.

Carry on.

Latest posts