Landy re-configure... Productive day at the rubbish dump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
Morning all... seems my posting problem's been fixed. (Much obliged to HIGHDESERTRNGER..........
So thanks to all who waited patiently and didn't write me off.

Well, It'l Dodat.... My Landrover is at the doctor... Having a tip to tip.... You know, blood pressure, lung capacity, blood sugar, all those things that keep a fella's thingimabobs up-front going round and round and uppity-down uppity-down

But that don't stop me and the last 2 weekends have been mightily productive scrounging at the rubbish dump and at the flea-market where I got: -

OUT THE DUMPSTER
[size=medium]A pool noodle to put on my bike rack to stop the bike getting damaged.[/size]

A new GP box (General Purpose storage box), that's going to double as a fantastic cook surface for BB... Thanks to Cheaprvliving U-tube videos, A big shout out... be careful of the roof lining.... Thanks for that tip.

30M of 12mm cotton rope, (going to use that in the project)

A beautiful flat piece / slice cut from a thick tree branch that after I sand and varnish is going to make a stunning cutting board - hot pot stand, and a tin of  varnish to varnish it with!

Also got a 4ply board to make a top for the tailgate table, (there is only a piece of the top of a pallet under the table-cloth at the moment)

FROM THE FLEA MARKET

A couple of meters of shade-net for my changeroom / shower cubical screen

About 20 Sq m of that silver coated insulation (much more than I need) but I only paid about 14USD for it.. going to use it up front behind the windscrren and for the 2 sunroofs

A grey plastic 3 draw unit to change out my backpack as a wardrobe, (the backpack does not work so well as I've to pack everything in and out, with draws it should be much easier)...

The draws will be on the passenger's seat & facing the passenger's door, I'll use the seatbelt to strap them in...

I also spent a bit painting my bike rack with stone chip paint...

Anyhow, I dicovered a bit late this morning, but I think I'll do the post of my project tomorrow...

Then I'll get into the other things like how I deal with dishwashing water / my washing machine / my scullary / my 2 awnings - shelters off the back and so on....

So here are the pics of that: -

The new general purpose storage box, which makes a really nice place to use the spirit stove inside for when mother nature throws her toys at me...

landy re config 9a new gp storage box e.jpg

landy re config 9a new gp storage box d.jpg

Tin of vanish out the dumpster to varnish the tree slice that's to be my pot stand and to varnish the general purpose box
landy re config 9a varnish for new gp storage box.jpg

Attachments

• landy re config 9a new gp storage box e.jpg
    landy re config 9a new gp storage box e.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 4
  • landy re config 9a varnish for new gp storage box.jpg
    landy re config 9a varnish for new gp storage box.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 3
  • landy re config 9a new gp storage box d.jpg
    landy re config 9a new gp storage box d.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 2
Don't varnish a cutting board or a board you will be putting a hot pot on.  You need a food approved penetrating oil.  The heat will melt the varnish.  Not sure if you can put a hot pot on the oil either.

yea varnish and heat don't mix :)

sounds like a very productive day getting what you need. You sure are working it all to your advantage and doing wonderful getting the little things ya want for small projects!! cool

Mineral oil should work fine for your cutting board project! Readily available in any pharmacy and doesn’t spoil like vegetable oils!

Several coats to start and then once or twice a year from then on should keep it nice for you!

SD

WOW lot's of replies to this so I thought I'll post a pic or two of the tree slice, about 50mm thich and flat! The fella that cut that knew his oats from the chaff.... Thanks a ton fellas...

See how nice the bit of bark round the edge makes it look.... Yes I know... I know..... heavy / bulky / everything about it is technically wrong... But DAMN it's nice....

landy re config pot stand a.jpg

landy re config pot stand b.jpg

Thanks for all your input... I'll keep the tin of varnish for my general purpose container...

Attachments

• landy re config pot stand a.jpg
    landy re config pot stand a.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 3
  • landy re config pot stand b.jpg
    landy re config pot stand b.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 2
I don't know what type of wood that is but someone gave me a slab like that it was almost 2ft across. I put it away and figured I would make something with it later. well about a year later I looked at it and it had cracks in it, one was so bad that a chunk fell of it. what I am saying is treat it before it dries out to much. highdesertranger

With most wood end cuts are very prone to checking. Seal best as possible, avoid drastic changes in humidity

Morning HDR & MaTaLa

really does sounds a bit like me..... at 61 I'm all cracked up-n-ready for the "ash-heap" :D

I'm not fussed, It's nice, but if it falls apart, I'll return it frome whence it came... But for now I'll just enjoy it... ;)

Yet another good day at the dumps...

Not that productive but still damn lucky.

A Solingen sheath knife about 6’’ in blooming good condition...

Cost R0.00. Scratched it out of a box of “bills / receipts / old cheque books and similar stuff.... I’ve learnt, them boxes with rubbish inside, especially if the top flaps of the carton are woven closed..... That’s  real gold in there...

Value? Still trying to find out on Google, but nothing less than R1000 Solingen’s one of the very best, perhaps one of you fellas would be able to value it.

It’s going straight into my rig....

IMG_20190627_090528.jpg

IMG_20190627_090546.jpg

IMG_20190627_090613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_090528.jpg
    IMG_20190627_090528.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190627_090546.jpg
    IMG_20190627_090546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190627_090613.jpg
    IMG_20190627_090613.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Just be sure to clean off all the fingerprints and blood stains! LOL!!!

Yet another "find"

For what you fellas call a buck fifty, (R20) I got this: -

rubbish dump work table.jpg

A rather nice work table for my Landrover re-configure project.... 

I don't have a gararge, only a carport. So I have to pack thing out, lay them on the ground, find handy places to put tools hardware ETC.....

Now I can put things somewhere, all in one place.

Went up to the rubbish dump quite early, it was there, asked the security who it belongs to she said nobody I asked how much she said 20 rand but I must go quickly.... :dodgy: So I loaded and went quickly... :p I'm good at following instructions... :angel:

Attachments

• rubbish dump work table.jpg
    rubbish dump work table.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Leaky roof said:
Yet another good day at the dumps...

Not that productive but still damn lucky.

A Solingen sheath knife about 6’’ in blooming good condition...

Cost R0.00. Scratched it out of a box of “bills / receipts / old cheque books and similar stuff.... I’ve learnt, them boxes with rubbish inside, especially if the top flaps of the carton are woven closed..... That’s  real gold in there...

Value? Still trying to find out on Google, but nothing less than R1000 Solingen’s one of the very best, perhaps one of you fellas would be able to value it.

It’s going straight into my rig....

Somewhere between $60 and $300 depending on who you get as a buyer. Don't try to find the price on google. Instead head to Etsy, there are a lot of that make of knives listed for sale including vintage ones. The prices are higher on the ones being sold in Germany and lower in price on the ones being sold in the USA. Not sure why but the market can be funny that way.

Here is one listed on Etsy that is very siimilar to your find. https://www.etsy.com/listing/713155...f=sr_gallery-2-7&organic_search_click=1&cns=1