Laminate Flooring for Walls/ceiling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
Anyone Ever use 7mm Laminate flooring for the walls/ceiling? Would like to do this without laying plywood. 
Any advice?

Laminate plank flooring is usually installed using GLUE or relying on GRAVITY

What is your idea for installation ?

Walls are simple. Ceiling a little more complicated. I did walls and floor.

The floors just snap together. The walls I had to glue. I'm not sure what is on your ceiling but there has to be something for it to glue to.

mad.jpg

mad1.jpg

Attachments

• mad.jpg
    mad.jpg
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 23
  • mad1.jpg
    mad1.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 19
I used hardwood laminate flooring in my steppie that I bought for a pittance at the ReStore. It made for an extremely attractive & durable ceiling. I screwed it on with a vapour barrier underneath. ..Willy.

It depends on what you want to install it in. Something with flat straight walls? Yeah, it can be done. Something with curved walls, like a van? No, because laminate flooring doesn't like to bend. It was never intended to do so.

my plan was to screw to the ribs of the van.

Vans curve not only from top to bottom but also end to end, creating a compound curve. Also, the ribs in some vans have holes/cutouts that might happen to be where you need a screw.

I've seen many of standard Vans use tongue and grooved planks on there ceilings I was planning having some small over head bins/cabinets along the top, that would cover up the transiting from ceiling to wall.

What type of material is recommended for a ceiling 1/4 birch plywood, then stain/paint?

I would use 1/4" t&g like I did in this photo. It's very lightweight and available at home depot. This one was installed using rare earth magnets and just a few screws. The cabinets and skylight/fan help hold it in place as well. This ceiling was finished with polyurethane, but I've also installed them raw. Like anything installed in a vehicle, there are some tricks to doing it.

Attachments

• sprinterceiling.JPG
    sprinterceiling.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 10
The 1/4 inch T&G sounds like a good idea, especially using magnets, I will be doing this by myself, will living in it. will use 1/4 ply wood for walls, since all of the wall space will be covered with cabinets ect. I also thought of 1/4 plywood, and cover with FRP.
Did you counter sink the magnets?
Thanks

Using a 5/8" forstner bit I countersunk about 1/16" deep. Magnets were just under 5/8"diameter and 1/8" thick. You'll want to sand (80 grit) the backs of the magnets until you just start to see the copper layer. Then I used a slow setting epoxy and let it cure overnight.

Where did you get the Magnets, any brand name/number?
Seen this method on you-tube and like it! Did you put any sort of vapor barrier up?
Thanks

If you plan on painting your tung and groove something I learnt about knots, you have to shallac them so they don’t seep through your paint work.

Latest posts