Keeping stuff cold (or even frozen)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MargaretA

Reaction score
In reading the thread about no-cook food I got to wondering how people here keep their food cold. I'm sure some are using refrigerators but what about everyone else?<br><br>I've done a bit of research in this area and found things called (I think) thermoelectric coolers; those obviously require some kind of electrical power. But are there other options, especially for people who might not have electricity, or have limited power? All I can think of are plain coolers that you put ice in, but they have their disadvantages; for one thing, you have to buy the ice (don't you?). And drain the water out after it melts. And make sure everything is sealed well so the melting ice doesn't damage it.<br><br>And what about freezers? I seem to remember someone saying they used dry ice once in a cooler and it froze things.<br><br>So, what other options are there? What are you all using, or have heard of that you think might be worth looking into?<br><br>Meg<br><br>

I have a fridge in my van, but others that don't have electricity, or at least not enough to run a <A href="http://thevandweller.blogspot.com/2011/05/12v-freezer.html" target=_blank>12v freezer</A> use coolers with bags of ice. I understand that the fuller the cooler is of food, the longer it'll stay cold. Ditto on the amount of opening and closing of the cooler (less open/close longer cold).<br><br>The freezer post&nbsp;I linked to above, I had read lasts quite some time on a single battery. Could be worth looking into.<br>

MargaretA said:
In reading the thread about no-cook food I got to wondering how people here keep their food cold. I'm sure some are using refrigerators but what about everyone else?<br><br>I've done a bit of research in this area and found things called (I think) thermoelectric coolers; those obviously require some kind of electrical power. But are there other options, especially for people who might not have electricity, or have limited power? All I can think of are plain coolers that you put ice in, but they have their disadvantages; for one thing, you have to buy the ice (don't you?). And drain the water out after it melts. And make sure everything is sealed well so the melting ice doesn't damage it.<br><br>And what about freezers? I seem to remember someone saying they used dry ice once in a cooler and it froze things.<br><br>So, what other options are there? What are you all using, or have heard of that you think might be worth looking into?<br><br>Meg<br><br>
<br><br><font size="3"><font face="Georgia">I just met this guy who made a charcoal outdoor fridge in the woods and drives there once a week or so to resupply. I thought that sounded awesome, but I'm too urban to make it work&nbsp; </font></font><br>

<P><FONT size=3>I get free Ice from McD or BK I use a small 6 pk cooler. In the winter I use another 6pk cooler as a freezer. Just keep in the shade 30 degrees and lower works for me.</FONT></P>

Butternut said:
MargaretA said:
<br><br><font size="3"><font face="Georgia">I just met this guy who made a charcoal outdoor fridge in the woods and drives there once a week or so to resupply. I thought that sounded awesome, but I'm too urban to make it work&nbsp; </font></font><br>
<div><br></div><div>Is the charcoal outdoor fridge a ammonia refrigerator modified to run on charcoal?</div>

<P><FONT size=3>I have an Engel 40qt 12v/120&nbsp;freezer/fridge.&nbsp; It uses like 2 amps and will run for days on one battery.&nbsp; I have solar now, which makes it indefinate, but if you start the engine once a day, Im sure it would work.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's pricey though.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'd get a bigger one if I did it again.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

I really like it 4x4Tour, but the price is a bit steep for me. How long have you had yours, and what kind of plugs (options) does it come with?<div><br></div><div>Steve</div><div><br></div>

Hi all, watching this thread and knowing the high quality of the Engle freezer/refrig, I think that the only way I could justify the expense of one would be if I chose to full-time in a vehicle. If that were the case it would only need to be looked at as a buying of an appliance as in a sticks and bricks house...I haven't bought a refrigerator in a while but it seems to me that a good one would cost every bit as much as the Engle....with that perspective it is just something folks ordinarily take in stride.<br>Bri<br><br>

<FONT size=3>I don't really think this is practical as one of the parts (USB beverage cooler) runs $79.99 - $99.00.&nbsp; Maybe one of our rich friends or relatives will give us one of those useless usb beverage chillers and we an make a </FONT><A href="http://lifehacker.com/5823519/build-a-solar+powered-drink-cooler-for-perfect-summer-thirst-quenching" target=_blank target=_blank><B><FONT size=3>solar power&nbsp;cooler</FONT></B></A><BR><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT size=3>I'm a big fan of </FONT><A href="http://lifehacker.com/" target=_blank target=_blank><B><FONT size=3>LifeHacker</FONT></B></A><FONT size=3>.&nbsp; You can follow them on </FONT><A href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/lifehacker" target=_blank target=_blank><B><FONT size=3>FaceBook</FONT></B></A><FONT size=3> (YUK!) or in a blog reading list.&nbsp; They simplify a lot of stuff, from techie things to&nbsp;household cleaning/cooking and DIY projects</FONT><BR>

<br>[/quote]<div><br></div><div>Is the charcoal outdoor fridge a ammonia refrigerator modified to run on charcoal?</div>[/quote]<br><br><font face="Georgia" size="3">He basically made a box and lined it with charcoal then put in shelves. He says that as long as you wet the charcoal it keeps the inside of the box cold. I found <a target="_blank" href="http://celac.wordpress.com/2007/06/18/54/">this link</a> that sounds very close to what he was saying he'd done.</font><br>