Just when you become resigned to....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
Sadly, my Dad passed away last Sunday night.    I am comforted in knowing that his last 3 months were probably the happiest he had been in years.   He stayed in his home and his final time was with family.     It is still too fresh for Mom and I.     But, time heals.   Eventually we will stop listening for all those sounds that he would make in the house. 

But, as fate would have it....the discussions with my Mom has suddenly become the present.   She wants to hit the road with me and see as much of North American as she can in whatever time remains.    

The RV is nowhere near ready.   Thanks to generousity of people here...the RV will be brought to Colorado next month.   I plan to renovate it over the winter, and begin with short trips with Mom in the Spring.  Just weekend trips, then week long trips.   Make sure this works for her Before leaping in.  

I worrying that she is only doing this because she feels a sense of guilt at holding me down because she is my dependant now.      I will soon learn the truth.   It is hard to fake enjoyment at using a 5 gallon bucket with a seat....at least you cannot fake it for long...lol

I'm sorry. Thanks to you he was comfortable in his own home. I don't have words  to comfort you. 

I know how quiet it can be after all of the busyness of caring for someone. 

Give your mom my regards. 

Nora

I'm so sorry about your dad, and it's good you've got some time before you hit the road, your mom can settle in a bit. And maybe (like my mom) hand you things while you're working on the RV, give her something to do and help her feel like she's part of it.

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. It's great that he was happy and at home.

I think if you get your Mom involved in the process it will help with her decision. she'll be able to decide if it will truly work for her.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Even when you know that the inevitable is near it is still hard to deal with.

Be extra kind to both yourself and your mom!

Very sorry to hear about dad ,,,,,,,,,,
I hope mom ends up loving the nomad life ! "The bucket test" yeah , that should do it !!!
Great that you have the rig with you now . Did you give reputation points to those involved ?

Sorry to hear of your Dad. I've lost both the parents in the last year, I know how much it hurts.

I should be in Denver till the first of the year.

rvpopeye said:
Very sorry to hear about dad ,,,,,,,,,,
I hope mom ends up loving the nomad life ! "The bucket test" yeah , that should do it !!!
Great that you have the rig with you now . Did you give reputation points to those involved ?

I do not know what that is.    How is that done?

On a post by the person you want to give a point to.
Look on the bottom of the post.
Click the button labeled RATE with a thumbs up.
Optional: you can let them know why.
It will show up on all their new posts as a Reputation point!

When they check it , it will tell them which post you rated and why if you filled that part in.
(Nobody wins a prize or anything but it's kind of cool anyway!)

You had 0 now I gave you 1 !
Caretaking a parent is a tough job in many ways that those that haven't done it can't know!

Thank you...I will go back and do that on the posts from all those who offered the help...they were all so generous!  

And thank you for the rating......     Learn something new every day.

So sorry for your loss, Kat. I lost my Dad last December after a 2 year decline with Alzheimer's. I hope your Mom will enjoy the journey, and the two of you can make some special memories together.

Kat, so sorry you lost your dad. I don't often check matters of the heart - was just browsing this evening. I'm not sure what part of Colorado your in, but I'm north of Colorado Springs if you need help with anything to get the RV ready. I'm leaving later this week for my annual hunting trip, and will be gone all next week, but once I'm back I don't have anything but work planned until RTR so send me a PM if I can help at all. My tools and equipment are pretty mobile, so I can come to you if need be, and I'm fairly handy with most things vehicle of dwelling related.

MasterPlumber
Offering help to a newbie is good karma , may it come back to you tenfold!
Kat
Taking care of your folks is good karma too and MP will be part of yours.

Hi Kat,

My condolences on the loss of your father.  

I hope you and your mom have crazy wonderful adventures together getting the rig fixed up and getting on the road.  I know my mom would be happy I am getting out and traveling in mine.  She was a wanderer, too.

And hey, you two might be surprised about that luxury bucket toilet!  With a folding camping toilet seat over mine, it's easy peazy.  A high one with arm supports might be helpful.

Sassy

Attachments

• folding toilet seat.jpg
    folding toilet seat.jpg
    68.7 KB
Fmasterplumber said:
Kat, so sorry you lost your dad. I don't often check matters of the heart - was just browsing this evening. I'm not sure what part of Colorado your in, but I'm north of Colorado Springs if you need help with anything to get the RV ready. I'm leaving later this week for my annual hunting trip, and will be gone all next week, but once I'm back I don't have anything but work planned until RTR so send me a PM if I can help at all. My tools and equipment are pretty mobile, so I can come to you if need be, and I'm fairly handy with most things vehicle of dwelling related.

MP, I am over the top on the western slope.   I looked it up, you are on the front range.  
Grand Junction is high and dry most of the time.   It's just the pass is often closed with snow during the winter,  it is about 6 hours over here on dry roads....otherwise I might be tempted to take you up on it.   

The RV is set to arrive sometime in the next couple weeks.   It is currently stuck on the eastern side of NC.   It is dry, but the roads going over there are mostly impassable with flooding right now.   I heard on the news that parts of I40 are still closed and not expected to open til November! 

BUT...hey, if you get over here..let me know.  I'd love to see your rig.  I have an endless appetite for conversions of all types.

sassypickins said:
Hi Kat,

My condolences on the loss of your father.  

I hope you and your mom have crazy wonderful adventures together getting the rig fixed up and getting on the road.  I know my mom would be happy I am getting out and traveling in mine.  She was a wanderer, too.

And hey, you two might be surprised about that luxury bucket toilet!  With a folding camping toilet seat over mine, it's easy peazy.  A high one with arm supports might be helpful.

Sassy
That is a clever idea.   If you have a link to where I could find one....   Is there such a web site?  Handicap van dwelling?   This brings up a lot of new ideas.

VanKitten said:
That is a clever idea.   If you have a link to where I could find one....   Is there such a web site?  Handicap van dwelling?   This brings up a lot of new ideas.

Kat,

JiminDenver's links are what I was thinking, and the one with arms folds up if you need that storage feature.  Also, I saw a Walmart one that doesn't fold up for about $32. 

There are some clever homemade examples if you do a Google Images search for 'DIY toilet chair'.  Here's one:

toilet chair.jpg

Sassy

Attachments

• toilet chair.jpg
    toilet chair.jpg
    6.2 KB

Latest posts