Just How Much Humidity can I expect from propane heat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One Awesome Inch said:
The Wave 3 at 1600 BTUs uses less propane than the Mr. Heater Buddy - mid size. 1/8LB per hour.

That is comparing tangerines to grapefruits.  Mr. Buddy is 4,500 BTU minimum, to your Wave 3 at 1600 BTU.  So yes, they use different amounts of propane.

My point was that the Wave 3 has less BTUs and therefore consumes less propane than the mid sized Buddy heater. Kindof an obvious statement on my part. I think what I was trying to say is that if you are concerned about moisture in the air use a heater that puts out less BTUs.

While I may change my mind, yet again, at this time I am thinking of trying the Wave 3 and see how it goes. It is MUCH cheaper and I wouldn't have to have an external "chimney".

Most of the time the Mr Buddy is putting out too much heat for the tiny space of a van and you have to continually turn it on and off.

The Olympian will put out just the right amount of heat and less moisture.
Bob

Excellent. Plus it will cost me about $600cdn cheaper. Also, I won't have to cut a hole in my roof... which is great considering how much rain my area gets.

Worse case scenario I try the Wave 3, it doesn't work out, I sell it and buy the Dickenson.

I have little personal experience with propane heaters in a van.  But, here are some thoughts.

All hydro-carbons, wood, gasoline, propane, butane, paper, are composed of hydrogen and carbon.  When they burns, the carbon in the fuel and oxygen in the air make carbon dioxide and perhaps carbon monoxide.  The hydrogen in the fuel and oxygen in the air produce hydrogen dioxide, commonly known as water.  If you burn pure hydrogen, you get no carbon dioxide, only water.  This also produces heat.

The unvented heaters we're talking about heat the air.  The water vapor produced goes into the air.
If you open a window, some of the heated, moistened, air will escape, and be replaced with air form outside the van.  But, this air is also taking the heat with it.  I think you'll accomplish the same result by running the heater less and keeping the window closed.  It will produce less heat, but also less water vapor.  You can't vent the water vapor without simultaneously venting the heat.  So what's the point.

Just a thought.  

The space being heated by these heaters, must be vented, or the heater eventually produces CO instead of CO2.

ccbreder said:
The space being heated by these heaters, must be vented, or the heater eventually produces CO instead of CO2.

Is that because the oxygen is being depleted? The CO2 and the CO will go up, and could kill you I suppose. That makes sense.  

Every fossil fuel heating device will come with a manual that tells you the minimum ventilation required. If you give it that much ventilation you will be perfectly safe. Go below it and you could be putting your life at risk. The same is equally true of every furnace and gas dryer in every house in America.

I think with the Mr. Buddy it's 30 square inches--which is like rolling both front windows down an inch. But read your manual to know for sure.

That's what it takes to be safe. Opening it more to remove moisture seems counter-productive to me. Just turn the heat down or get a smaller heater.
Bob

I could be wrong but I believe I remember reading that you should have one square inch for each 1000 BTUs the heater produces. Going by memory so take that with a grain of salt.