Just Got a Van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2TheStreet said:
I don't want to bolt the solar panels into the roof but rather use commercial grade adhesive tape or some other non-permanent option. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm under the impression - I could be wrong about this - that any tape or adhesive strong enough to hold the panel in place while you're driving down the road at 60 miles an hour is strong enough that you won't be able to get the panel back off without destroying it.  Thus you should not consider this to be a "non-permanent option".

Also, panels in the sun get VERY hot.  Without an air space between the panels and the roof, that heat will transfer directly into the interior of the van.  We have a thread or two on THAT particular subject here somewhere.  I think there were also some reports about the heat damaging the body paint, as well, not sure. 

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm under the impression - I could be wrong about this - that any tape or adhesive strong enough to hold the panel in place while you're driving down the road at 60 miles an hour is strong enough that you won't be able to get the panel back off without destroying it.  Thus you should not consider this to be a "non-permanent option".

Also, panels in the sun get VERY hot.  Without an air space between the panels and the roof, that heat will transfer directly into the interior of the van.  We have a thread or two on THAT particular subject here somewhere.  I think there were also some reports about the heat damaging the body paint, as well, not sure. 

Regards
John

They Wynns (Class A RV Vloggers) have the flex solar panels and said they've had some problems with water pooling on them and leaving marks on the panels along with scratches from trees (not really a concern for a van). They said they recommend the regular glass solar panels Some solar manufacturers have discontinued the flex panels. I'll have to do some more research. 

As far as mounting, I can use power grip pedal tape, which is so strong I use it on to mount my sony hdr-as100v to my motorcycle helmet and have been at speeds above 100 mph without the camera coming off, has proven to be very strong and reliable. Here is a link for the power grip-pedal tape:http://amzn.to/1KPXO6b

Here is the video I did on it: 

Optimistic Paranoid said:

Regards
John

As far as an airspace on the roof between the panels and the roof, my 05 chevy express van has channels on the roof, so that should provide the air space you are referring to. 

This van dweller has the exact same set-up I want to do and said he has no problems so far:

I just completed the van sink counter cabinet build. Here is the build video:  

I went around to salvage stores until I found a complete unit I could use for $40.

New van build video uploaded! My custom folding bed build for my chevy express 3500 cargo van conversion.

Also included in this video : I review the Brentwood firm rv short twin mattress, CHEAP ($4.95) water bottle pump for 5 gallon drinking water container and the Cleanwaste portable toilet

New van build video uploaded! Cheap LED lighting added to my van.
Here is the video link:   

You have a very energetic delivery and get lots of info out quick.. no dragging things out. Some interesting ideas and you van looks very neat.

For some of us older vandwellers, the language in the last one was a bit... blunt? Maybe older ears get more delicate. LOL

Anyway, nice job on the van and the video.

WriterMs said:
You have a very energetic delivery and get lots of info out quick.. no dragging things out. Some interesting ideas and you van looks very neat.

For some of us older vandwellers, the language in the last one was a bit... blunt?  Maybe older ears get more delicate. LOL

Anyway, nice job on the van and the video.

Hey thanks!

Too bad so many of us will never see them or know about what you are doing for your van. If only there was a forum where you could share it.
Bob