Just Got a Van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
How much you put on depends on your budget and how warm you want it to be inside. There really is no right or wrong answer except the more you put in, the more heat it will keep inside.

The one issue to consider is that the thin piecess are more flexible and will bend with the curve of the wall or ceiling. I used 1 inch styrofoam on the walls of my cargo trailer because they are flat and didn't need to bend. On the roof, I used three, 3/4 inch pieces  because they would curve to the arch of the roof.

You actually want the most on the roof because heat rises and goes out the roof fastest. But, it's a trade-off with headroom so use the most you feel comfortable losing headroom.
Bob

Hone depot has a set that comes with 8 of polystyrene foam panels (Marketed for a garage door), it has slits in the them that make it easy to bend. However, the thickness is 1-1/4". Panel size is 54" x 20" x 1-1/4". Only $58

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 4.25.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 4.25.38 PM.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 4.25.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 4.25.50 PM.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
Ok I got my van fully cleaned out and now it's time to do the insulation. I went to HD today and I picked up 5 sheets of the 1/2" thick pink panther foamular of sheets and some foil tape. They didn't have 3/4" thick panels that I wanted so I settled for 1/2" panels. 5 panels was $63 (I don't know exactly how much I will need). I will only be doing one layer on the walls and ceiling. I also bought a big $39 roll of reflectix, I know you all said it's a waste of money but the reason I bought it is for the look more than the insulation attributes. I will be putting the foam panels directly on the metal walls via 3M R77 adhesive spray. I'm not putting on an exterior sheet of plywood over the insulation because I need my van to haul my motorcycles which requires the holes in the ribs to attach the straps to the bike. This van will be a bugout moto hauler. I will design and build a custom fold up twin bed and a console that will house a small sink, one burner, and small microwave built into a console on the side of the van next to the double side doors (small space to the right of the doors. I will design a custom fitted top that will cover over the console so it will be stealth when I bring it in for maintenance or whatever. My goal is to make the interior convertible stealth so it will serve a dual purpose. 

Any tips would be appreciated. From my understanding it's ok to attach the foam sheets to the bare metal? Then I will be attaching the refectlix as one seamless covering using the adhesive spray. For some reason I really dig the look of the reflectix as a top layer after seeing another guy do the same thing to his chevy express van.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 4.05.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 4.05.03 AM.png
    848.4 KB · Views: 10
Btw, the tall box is my new flooring that is custom for my chevy express 3500. VanRig VRG96.  It is supposed to act as both insulation and reduce noise. It even has the slots for the channels on the van's bare metal floor.  It is resistant to even battery acid or bleach and it can be cleaner with a water hose.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 4.31.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 4.31.01 AM.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 16
Btw, the tall box is my new flooring that is custom for my chevy express 3500. VanRug VRG96.  It is supposed to act as both insulation and reduce noise. It even has the slots for the channels on the van's bare metal floor.  It is resistant to even battery acid or bleach and it can be cleaner with a water hose.

Tha's a very good plan for insulation. I agree with leaving the reflective material exposed. I put styrofoam in my trailer with aluminum foil on one side and I left it uncovered also. I like the extra light it creates in the trailer. The pink styrofaom is very good insulation and also very bendable, it will curve very well with the walls and roof.

I'm very interested to see how you like the bedrug!
Bob

There was a guy at RTR this year that lives most of his time in a pickup truck with a topper. He used a bed rug and I believed liked it very well. Looks like a good plan you have. You'll just have to be a little careful putting bikes and gear in and out so you don't tear up the exposed insulation. I suppose if it does become an issue you can always cover it up later. I did find that you can custom order larger sheets of FRP up to I think 6' wide and 20' long - i think it's much more expensive than the standard 4x8 sheets, but you could do a whole wall with no seams.

What's your power plans or did I just not read back far enough?

I still think you should consider even a 1/4 inch plywood covering to protect that insulation. Or shower wall panels, they are slick and white... Though 1/4 inch is spendy... Even tempered masonite panels would work but if you want bright, the shower wall panels are best.

dusty98 said:
What's your power plans or did I just not read back far enough?

I still think you should consider even a 1/4 inch plywood covering to protect that insulation.  Or shower wall panels, they are slick and white...  Though 1/4 inch is spendy...  Even tempered masonite panels would work but if you want bright, the shower wall panels are best.

I need the ribs/holes so I can secure and haul my motorcycle. Also, I don't like wood covering because it turns the van into a coffin. lol This van will be a part bug out vehicle and moto hauler. I'm even thinking of a way to sleep with my motorcycle. lol Yes I love my bike that much. lol

Hey folks, has anyone discussed an alternative to cutting a hole in the roof for a vent? What about this vent that goes on the window, it's even solar powered

You can put one on each window and it's fully powered by the sun. No need to cut a f**king hole in the van ceiling now! lol

I think I will end up getting this maxi vent that can be used even in rain, expensive but looks cool.

2TheStreet said:
Hey folks, has anyone discussed an alternative to cutting a hole in the roof for a vent? What about this vent that goes on the window, it's even solar powered: http://amzn.to/1Hy8NOO

You can put one on each window and it's fully powered by the sun. No need to cut a f**king hole in the van ceiling now! lol

Look at the people complaining.  I will keep my fantastic fan.  

[font=Arial, sans-serif]2 of 2 people found the following review helpful[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]1Side-by-Side Comparison Toyota Dealer[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]ByW. Joneson September 11, 2014[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Dallas-Fort Worth Fox 4 News and a local Toyota dealer compared 2 identical SUVs and found only a 1 degree temperature difference between the vehicle that had the device and a vehicle that didn't. Granted they only gave it 30 minutes but still in Texas sun it doesn't stand a chance. 68 degree advertised difference is pure fraud. However, it does look like something people might tear off your vehicle just for s*** and grins. See [...][/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]38 of 45 people found the following review helpful
[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]2Don't waste you money on this one![/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]ByN22Tango "Film tonight at 10"on June 18, 2014[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Verified Purchase[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]We have three vehicles and in order for this fan to be placed in the window of any vehicle, you must cut a rubber liner supplied with the fan and slide the rubber liner along the top portion of your car, van or pickup glass window. The fan is supposed to butt-up against the rubber, then your window is rolled up so that the rubber liner can slide into the window channel (typically felt or rubber itself) and the problem is, that no car window is squared off or straight. Most windows have a gentle curve as they slope down from near the roof line to where your rear view mirrors are located on the bottom part of the window on the outside of your car, van or pickup.

One previous reviewer stated this fan didn't work on his car and I can see why now. The rubber "gasket" supplied with this product is neither long enough nor flexible enough to follow the natural slope of ANY window. Thus my reason for sending the fan back for a refund (less than $10 for shipping I will have to eat) because Amazon gave me "Sorry, it's not our fault this didn't fit" which is total bull.

Sadly, the fan seems quite robust and in full sunlight it kicks out some serious "wind" from the two small fans.

The instructions on a piece of paper that come in the box are written in Chinese, but the box also has instructions and drawings inside the lid that easily explain how to install and use the fan, but the fan can not probably be used on anything other than a vehicle that has square or perfectly rectangular windows. I wanted to add a photo showing the natural curve of my driver's side window and how their material can not accommodate the curve, but it looks like Amazon now longer allows for videos and pictures... But, the person who wrote the review about his Prius and the difficulty with the rubber strip, I think you can get the idea that the rubber strip is just a bad way to try and seal off the window along the juncture of the window channel (frame) and the glass itself.[/font]

[/font][/size]

GotSmart said:
Look at the people complaining.  I will keep my fantastic fan.  

[font=Arial, sans-serif]2 of 2 people found the following review helpful[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]1Side-by-Side Comparison Toyota Dealer[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]ByW. Joneson September 11, 2014[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Dallas-Fort Worth Fox 4 News and a local Toyota dealer compared 2 identical SUVs and found only a 1 degree temperature difference between the vehicle that had the device and a vehicle that didn't. Granted they only gave it 30 minutes but still in Texas sun it doesn't stand a chance. 68 degree advertised difference is pure fraud. However, it does look like something people might tear off your vehicle just for s*** and grins. See [...][/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]38 of 45 people found the following review helpful
[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]2Don't waste you money on this one![/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]ByN22Tango "Film tonight at 10"on June 18, 2014[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Verified Purchase[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]We have three vehicles and in order for this fan to be placed in the window of any vehicle, you must cut a rubber liner supplied with the fan and slide the rubber liner along the top portion of your car, van or pickup glass window. The fan is supposed to butt-up against the rubber, then your window is rolled up so that the rubber liner can slide into the window channel (typically felt or rubber itself) and the problem is, that no car window is squared off or straight. Most windows have a gentle curve as they slope down from near the roof line to where your rear view mirrors are located on the bottom part of the window on the outside of your car, van or pickup.

One previous reviewer stated this fan didn't work on his car and I can see why now. The rubber "gasket" supplied with this product is neither long enough nor flexible enough to follow the natural slope of ANY window. Thus my reason for sending the fan back for a refund (less than $10 for shipping I will have to eat) because Amazon gave me "Sorry, it's not our fault this didn't fit" which is total bull.

Sadly, the fan seems quite robust and in full sunlight it kicks out some serious "wind" from the two small fans.

The instructions on a piece of paper that come in the box are written in Chinese, but the box also has instructions and drawings inside the lid that easily explain how to install and use the fan, but the fan can not probably be used on anything other than a vehicle that has square or perfectly rectangular windows. I wanted to add a photo showing the natural curve of my driver's side window and how their material can not accommodate the curve, but it looks like Amazon now longer allows for videos and pictures... But, the person who wrote the review about his Prius and the difficulty with the rubber strip, I think you can get the idea that the rubber strip is just a bad way to try and seal off the window along the juncture of the window channel (frame) and the glass itself.
[/font]

[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Yeah looks like a pos. lol Oh well I'll stick with getting a maxxair fan. The reason I don't like the fantastic fan is because you can't use it in the rain UNLESS you get a cover and then it sticks out like a sore thumb and the van loses it stealth appeal. The maxxair fan can be used in the rain and has cover that can be electronically lowered from inside the van.[/font]

2TheStreet said:
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Yeah looks like a pos. lol Oh well I'll stick with getting a maxxair fan. The reason I don't like the fantastic fan is because you can't use it in the rain UNLESS you get a cover and then it sticks out like a sore thumb and the van loses it stealth appeal. The maxxair fan can be used in the rain and has cover that can be electronically lowered from inside the van.[/font]

You can put a MaxAir cover over top of any of the roof vents.

This:

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxair1.php

They come in a variety of different colors and if you really want it to match your van color you could always apply a good plastic paint so that it's the same color as the van. The other thing to remember is that if you've got roof racks on the van, the vent cover gets mostly lost in amongst it.

The new Maxxair fan that incorporates all the high tech stuff such as remote control and rain sensor is kind of pricey IMO.

I don't do stealth but I've been watching all the vans on the streets for which ones have roof vents. Even our local provincial police have installed them on their vans so I'm not sure how much stealth you lose by installing one. I figure when the LEOs start using them they've become almost mainstream!

I will be updating my van build through my youtube channel. I'll post new videos on this thread. Here is the first video which is the insulation installed:

I was going to say that your van looks eerily similar to mine, but then read this thread from the beginning and now I know why. [emoji1][emoji106][emoji604]

I see nothing wrong with sleeping with your bike. ;) My KLR slides right between my couchs/beds. It fits far enough forward that my face isn't w=right next to it - I have about 3 1/2' of space at the back. I leave it inside when I just stop for the night on the road. I've seen the same thing done in a van also. I also would cover the walls, and even though I have wood paneling in my trailer, I'd go with an off white to avoid the "coffin" feeling in a van also. You can always use flush folding tie downs in the floor to secure the bike - they would be much stronger than using the van ribs. I'd be afraid the sheet metal would tear in an accident - but then my bike is almost 400 lbs - your's is probably half that if it's a dirt bike. Keep up the good work, and make sure you take time to enjoy the spoils of your labor. ;)

masterplumber said:
I see nothing wrong with sleeping with your bike. ;) My KLR slides right between my couchs/beds. It fits far enough forward that my face isn't w=right next to it - I have about 3 1/2' of space at the back. I leave it inside when I just stop for the night on the road. I've seen the same thing done in a van also. I also would cover the walls, and even though I have wood paneling in my trailer, I'd go with an off white to avoid the "coffin" feeling in a van also. You can always use flush folding tie downs in the floor to secure the bike - they would be much stronger than using the van ribs. I'd be afraid the sheet metal would tear in an accident - but then my bike is almost 400 lbs - your's is probably half that if it's a dirt bike. Keep up the good work, and make sure you take time to enjoy the spoils of your labor. ;)

I never thought about using the floor for a tie down, good idea. However, I like the reflectix as a finishing touch, light reflects nicely in the van which gives the feeling of a bigger area. I have to learn how to load and tie down a bike in a van, any tips? Btw, I have a cbr1000rr and a cbr600rr. I'm thinking about selling the cbr600rr for a honda cf250 dual sport.

New van update video: Installation of the BudRug, full review and install of the BedRug (VRG96) :

I'm planning for my power needs, solar panels and batteries. I have a couple questions, I found a local battery shop that sells reconditioned batteries, they have a reconditioned AGM deep cycle batteries with 150 ah for $50 with a 1 year warranty and ones with a 2 year warranty for $100. Should I go with a cheap reconditioned battery or get a VMAxx battery on amazon for $310 shipped?
As far as solar panels, thinking of going with the more expensive flexible solar panels
I like the flexible panels because they don't stand out as much on the van.

I don't want to bolt the solar panels into the roof but rather use commercial grade adhesive tape or some other non-permanent option. Any advice would be appreciated.