Just Got a Van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insulation is not just made with fiberglass anymore.

Look up denim insulation. UltraTouch. Lowes sells it.

http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-denim-insulation/

Also with a roof vent I blow out the excess heat quickly in the summer, and by covering the inside of the vent with a pad I keep the heat from escaping in the winter.

akrvbob said:
It all depends on what your goals are. Are you more concerned with summer heat or winter cold?

If you want to keep heat inside during the winter, you need a high R-value insulation like Polyiso. But you have to understand that in the summer will slow the heat down from coming in, but eventually it will get in, and then the insulation won't let it out so the van will stay hotter longer at night.

Your current plan with the Reflectix will also slow down the heat from coning in but eventually it will come in. But because you have no insulation, it will let the heat out and the van will cool off faster at night.

Go with whichever one is your highest priority. Because I'm a snowbird I'm more concerned with cold so I have 1 inch of polyiso on my walls and 2 1/2 inches in the roof. Just a little heat keeps me warm n the winter!
Bob

Is the [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Polyiso safe? I just want to make sure it's safe to breathe the air inside the van with this stuff? Also, what about moisture?[/font]

Do I use a layer of bubble wrap on the sheet metal and then put the Polyiso over the bubble wrap? Where is a good place to buy the polyiso?

Yes, it is totally safe. You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store. It looks and handle just like Styrofoam but is almost double the R-Value and tougher. It is virtually waterproof and almost always has a plastic layer on one side and usually a reflective aluminium foil layer o the other.

If you are going to use polyiso I think Reflectix is money thrown away. You're better off to spend the money on more polyiso. Just try hard to get the ones with a Reflective barrier and it is as good as Reflectix.

Unless you are only worried about heat, I don't recommend bubble wrap or Reflectix. If you are only worried about heat, then they are very good.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Yes, it is totally safe. You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store. It looks and handle just like Styrofoam but is almost double the R-Value and tougher. It is virtually waterproof and almost always has a plastic layer on one side and usually a reflective aluminium foil layer o the other.

If you are going to use polyiso I think Reflectix is money thrown away.  You're better off to spend the money on more polyiso. Just try hard to get the ones with a Reflective barrier and it is as good as Reflectix.

Unless you are only worried about heat, I don't recommend bubble wrap or Reflectix. If you are only worried about heat, then they are very good.
Bob

Thanks for the info. Do you create an airspace between the polyiso and the sheet metal? What is the best way to install the polyiso ? Using 3M adhesive spray?

2TheStreet said:
Thanks for the info. Do you create an airspace between the polyiso and the sheet metal? What is the best way to install the polyiso ? Using 3M adhesive spray?

That will do the trick. No airspace needed.

GotSmart said:
That will do the trick. No airspace needed.

Wouldn't it be good to have an airspace between the metal and insulation to prevent condensation? On youtube a guy put spacers on the metal then put reflectix, then put on the pink insulation and then another layer of reflectix, is this overkill? It seems like everybody has their own way of doing and it gets confusing.

Tin Can Express said:
Nice van! Looking forward to pics of your build.
I installed a Maxxair roof fan on mine and really like it. I can leave it open during rain storms without water coming in.
What area will you be traveling in?  I use reflectix for insulation but I live in the humid south and want to keep heat out of the van !

Which roof fan model did you get?

2TheStreet said:
Wouldn't it be good to have an airspace between the metal and insulation to prevent condensation? On youtube a guy put spacers on the metal then put reflectix, then put on the pink insulation and then another layer of reflectix, is this overkill? It seems like everybody has their own way of doing and it gets confusing.

I have been building things for about 50 years.  What you are starting with is a sealed metal shell.  You are creating a insulation layer on it.  If you want over kill, go crazy and spend a lot of money.  With the method you have chosen, glue the poly to the walls.  Attach the siding to the poly.  If you do not mind losing interior room use firing strips to attach to the ribs, and attach the siding to that. You can then use thicker poly. For hints on how to cut to fit, look up the "curves are evil" thread in the build section.  

Yep, it's the curved walls and roof as well as projections that make it tricky. The walls can be firred out like a uhaul going horizontally over their paneling or you can cut strips of 3/8" or 1/2 inch plywood that will go directly onto the ribs, allowing you to build out more depth for thicker poly board in between the ribs, and making a wood "bridge" so that your screws don't go into the ribs thus creating a cold transfer connection. Losing a couple inches on each side for the insulation and finish walls isn't that big of a deal, but losing the clearance due to building up the floor and ceiling is more of a concern (for low top cargoes especially). That's why cube vans are so nice, straight surfaces and enough room to insulate out with.

I have thought a lot about insulating a cargo and just can't get the right method in my head. So I gave up and bought a conversion van with yes, minimal insulation but it's done with.

I don't want to add a layer of plywood. It's heavy and makes you feel like you are in a coffin. lol Would it be feasible to add a thin layer of plastic or some other type of thin lightweight material over the insulation?
Also, is the pink solid state insulation (pink panther on it) sold at home depot nearly as efficient as polyiso?

This guy uses the pink solid state insulation in his chevy express and swears by it:

Fiberglass insulation requires space 4" or 6" to obtain its R factor. It also settles down in mobile applications. Styro doesn't have these issues, and it's so much nicer to work with.

There is no advantage in using Reflectix in your walls to keep warm in the winter. It's just easy and it has to better than nothing so people do it. And it probably is better than nothing. In the summer, with an air space, it is a significant advantage.

It goes back to the old saying, use the right tool for the job. If nothing else, follow the example of house insulation, vans aren't that different.

No one puts Reflectix in a house wall, it's money thrown away. To keep heat in during the winter you want high R-values, and Reflectix is not recognized by the government or industry to have any R-value. Any R-value numbers you see on it are made up by the manufacturer and they just picked a number out of the air. There is no testing authority behind it.

Any insulation that has an R-value was tested by independent agencies and certified as having the value.

Reflectix does have value in the summer to keep heat out of house attics, and that is a common use for it. It's money well spent! Somehow, vandwellers started to think if it works in my windows and in attics, it'll work in the walls of my van. It's better than nothing, but nowhere as good as polyiso.

The pink styrofoam is a very good insulation! It isn't as high an R-value as polyiso, but it is still good.

Reflectix works great for putting in the windshield to keep the sun and heat out.

What thickness do you recommend for the side walls and ceiling? I'm thinking 3/4" on the side walls and 1/2" think on the ceiling? I'm just guessing. I don't want to lose any headroom. How many panels would you recommend of the polyiso? The size is 3/4" x 4x 8 and 1/2" thickness for the ceiling. I'll be going to the home depot next week and starting on the insulation project. I just thoroughly cleaned the walls, ceiling and doors.

You need to do the measurements and the math. How far do the ribs come out from the walls? Same on the roof? Do you want the pain of screwing into metal or wood?

My van has wood strips running length wise holding in the insulation, and the cloth covered wood over that. (Factory conversion) about 2 inch thick.

These are pictures of when I cut in my fantastic fan through the van roof.  If you click on them you can see the detail.

Attachments

• 2014-06-22 10.57.35.jpg
    2014-06-22 10.57.35.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 2014-06-22 11.10.45.jpg
    2014-06-22 11.10.45.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 15
How much you put on depends on your budget and how warm you want it to be inside. There really is no right or wrong answer except the more you put in, the more heat it will keep inside.

The one issue to consider is that the thin piecess are more flexible and will bend with the curve of the wall or ceiling. I used 1 inch styrofoam on the walls of my cargo trailer because they are flat and didn't need to bend. On the roof, I used three, 3/4 inch pieces because they would curve to the arch of the roof.

You actually want the most on the roof because heat rises and goes out the roof fastest. But, it's a trade-off with headroom so use the most you feel comfortable losing headroom.
Bob