Just curious

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterplumber

Reaction score
So Bob has a thread going in the Misc Vehicle section about the Wee Roll trailers. Wondering about the value of buying a partially finished cargo trailer especially for people who can not finish there own due to lack of skills, physical limitations or other reasons. It got me thinking. Is there a group of people out there that would be willing to pay someone to finish out a bare trailer to their specifications? I have the skills to do the work, and a place to do it as long as someone is willing to come to Colorado. And I'm also still willing to help direct someone in their own build and provide some help just for the fellowship and maybe a beer. But I'm curious if actually getting paid to do whole builds would be something viable to add to my construction business? I've thought of building some to my own specs but that is a risk in that you don't know if it will sell, and I'm also not a manufacturer withe the associated insurance etc...  I am however a licensed contractor in plumbing, heating, and general contracting with the required liability insurance for that. So anyway, feedback would be appreciated. Also, what would people be willing to pay if they provided the trailer. Because like any product, the company needs to make money to survive, but the customer needs to see it as a value also.

Could be a viable option, but why don't you draw up a set of plans to the spec you might think would be sufficient for most here so a rough price schedule can be looked at. That would be probably one of the biggest factors of knowing whether or not individuals think they could afford it.
Once a base is set, the other details can be priced ala cart.

^
Thanks, that's a good idea. I know pretty close what i have into mine, but some things I spent way more than needed on. For instance, the electrical could be cut back substantially and still have a good usable system. I'll try and do some figuring and pricing of materials at current prices go get a rough figure.

Why confine yourself to cargo trailers. I know there are people that would like to change the layout of their travel trailer. I've pulled my dinette, added cabinets and have considered either expanding the bathroom or converting my bunk area to a small office. I bet there are a lot of mods you could do.

Shoot! I'd just like my freaking slide fixed. I've been to three separate places and taking it back tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea,sure,you could make some side money that way but if you could bank roll a build with wood interior and a couple cute cubby holes the hipsters will pay big bucks,get an example or two and then start taking orders,there is a show for tiny houses and they pay 30- 50k+ for a cabin on a trailer,dem cali kids and their interweb money

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvs/6133334523.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/6119958854.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/6134510852.html

I'd pay ya if the work is good and the price reasonable (have to come to CO too remember).

With the trend in vehicle buying going towards VANS now....and van dwelling... you'd be positioned perfectly if you ask me. (You did ask, right?)

IDK how skilled you are but you might want to begin gathering templates of vehicles and campers and trailers and "stuff like that there" to see how similar/different they are and what could be a global "fit".

Good wishes!

In addition to cargo trailers, sounds like you could easily do box trucks and step vans too.  Don't know if you'd want to get involved with van conversions and school buses - since the walls and ceilings aren't straight, there would be a lot more finicky work, which drives up the price.

So, you've got the tools and a place to work.  And you've got the knowledge and skills.  Sounds like you've got everything you need except for paying customers.

Which is basically an advertising problem.  So you need to figure out where and how to advertise.

You need to come up with a business name.  How about VAGABOND CONVERSIONS?

You'll need a web site.

If I were doing this, I'd spend some time over on the cargo trailer sub-forum of Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers, looking over all the builds people over there have done and collecting pictures.  Assembled into an album, I could show these to clients so they could pick out the kind of conversion they wanted to do.

Oh, and you might want to see if you could come to some arrangement with a trailer builder for special pricing, like a dealer gets.  You could order new trailers the size your client needs, with SOME of the stuff, like windows and insulation, done at the factory, and then custom finish the trailers.

I think this would need to be a nonprofit and volenteer, maybe donations only type deal. I think what Bob has done is provide, through this web site, information and help, basically the how to and inspiration to live simply and free. We all owe a great debt for what he has done for us and by paying it forward we should try to do for others. Maybe like Jamie has attempted to do, and sites like tnttt provides is to have some training location where a person can get one on one with the resources and people who can help them do their individualized build. Paul Elkins and others have designed basic/survival shelters for years but this group seems to be able to get that it takes more than survival to be happy. I think what Bob is doing with Wee trailers is great, but I think it will be difficult to convince a lot of us with limited money to buy something we know could be built for less if we just had the resources to do so. I think one of the reasons the RTR is so successful is the one on one that occurs. It would be a difficult and huge task to do but maybe it is time to consider a gathering or location to start providing build outs for those that can not. Masterplumber I think you should build from the ground up if doing trailers or at least contract the design based on comments in this forum.

With your abilities and space to work on trailers and build to spec there would certainly be a market for a custom built trailer. Or even modifications to existing trailers.

If the length of time it takes to get work done at a respected shop is any indication there is surely plenty of opportunities there.

Rob

I think your question has now been answered? :D

Thanks for all the great feedback. I've been involved in various builds on a volunteer basis, at RTR in the past and just giving advice etc, when somme have stopped by. I love doing that kind of stuff. But there are many out there who can't contribute physically to their own build. My gut tells me that most of those same people probably can't afford to pay a professional to build it either, and some of you have hinted at that as well. I did some quick figuring and to build a standard 6x12 cargo trailer conversion, in just a basic livable and comfortable form, I'd have to charge about $3000 in labor. At that I'd still be making less than I do on a sticks and bricks project. And I ain't getting rich on those LOL ! I know there are some out there who can afford it as a toy, someone mentioned millennials from CA, but that is not the market I want to deal with. I'm much more interested in helping people who are trying to make a life change and just don't have the skills or physical ability to do the work. So for now I'll probably not pursue it much farther - I'm actually pretty busy with my contracting business so it wasn't just about the money. But if I were to devote the time required to do a complete build rather than just some advice and a little help here or there, I do have bills of my own to pay still.

And yes, I'd be open to any kind of build - I just put cargo trailers out there as that is what the Wee Roll thread was about and there seemed to be some interest in it. I've remodeled and repaired a variety of trailers and campers over the years for my own use.

For those of you that do the Book of Faces thing, here's a link to my business page I recently started. I only have a few projects posted so far, but will add to it as I have time. https://www.facebook.com/FoothillConstructionServices/

masterplumber said:
   I'm much more interested in helping people who are trying to make a life change and just don't have the skills or physical ability to do the work. 
  I don't know you personally, but my respect for you as a person has just gone up several notches.