Just an idea, just an idea... (heated yoga mats)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the response @gsfish! This would be for heating while you sleep.. with blankets or a sleeping bag on top... and a dog underneath the covers don't forget that :) I agree this is way over priced. You can probably find a cheaper version somewhere else most likely.. what i'm trying to think of is how to have a heated 12v floor. please let me know if anyone has ideas..

Well, there is radiant floor heating for s&b, so it would be possible for a van. I know nothing of wiring or what kind of energy usage on the subject. It would be interesting to see someone figure out how to do it and if it was feasible with a battery system---cost/use. Here's an electric radiant floor heating link as a place to get started with the thought process: https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/floor-heating/environ-heating.

Thanks for the replies, @anewbiewannabe and @Free Range Chicken! The heated floor mats that both of you guys provided links for are 120V, but I am really looking for something that is 12V mainly because I would like to connect the floor heater to the 12V factory upfitter switches on my van, that way I can heat the floor while driving without using my battery, and then use a switch to connect the heater to the battery, say overnight. I've been looking at motorcycle seat heaters, and there are a few companies making them but here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Demon-21..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1EMEX78T1DNPCSSEWDKE

These are something like 30 watts each at 14V or about 17 amps if you have 8 of them. Installation would be interesting to say the least tho.

I could see this working to keep a bed warm, but I'm a little skeptical that it's economically viable to give ambient heat to the vehicle space using any sort of electric heat.

I've had an idea for radiant heat mulling around in the back of my head. It wouldn't be feasible for a lot of people, but in a system with a propane fired water heater (anything with RV appliances), I wonder how efficient it would be to plumb a line up coiled between layers of flooring... something like van body, then insulation, barrier, PEX tubing, and a thin layer of flooring on top. The propane water heater would just run constantly when parked (thermostat would turn it on/off as needed) and a 12v pump would circulate hot water through the PEX to warm the floor.

Not sure how it'd work in application, but it's something I've been thinking about. It would use propane consistently but the only battery draw would be for a small circulating pump. Personally I'd rather fill propane tanks more often than run my batteries down, especially on cold rainy days.

Still just a thought and it still wouldn't work for anyone without the means to add RV style appliances.

Thanks @Patrick46 and @TMG51 -- I like that roadpro heated blanket! Those guys make so much great 12V stuff..

I also love the idea of using traditional heated tubing, which I know is supposed to be pretty efficient for homes (i.e., that's how "normal" people normally do it).. and plus it follows the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid) since you're re-using the heating element from the hot water system which I love. Installation would have to be on a fairly professional level though with something like that.

For propane, I agree it's much more efficient for heating (and cooking). I made the decision early on to design my system as all-electric and i realize that it's been an obstacle in a real sense, but at the same time I have to be more creative and in the end i'm just trying to make it as simple as possible, and I'm sure everyone here knows exactly what I'm talking about trying to find that right "hack" in the end that just works and works well. Anyways.. back to the topic my idea originally came from using the supplied vehicle upfitter switches for radiant heating because that electricity is basically "free", meaning it comes directly from the alternator and is energy that I would otherwise not use (assuming I don't use the switches for something else of course) nor does it require any other equipment like a battery or an inverter.