Just a quick question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to my first cargo van and pull the trigger soon. 

Cargo vans are usually used for work related purposes priorly. So my question is should I look into the history of this van to see what it is used for? 

Because I was thinking what if there was chemicals or carcinogens steal lingering within the interior of the van. This would be a big hazard since I would be sleeping in this van and inhaling all this stuff in very often. 

Thanks for your help.

Well, a few things, in no particular order...

1) Finding the right van for you can be challenging...further limiting your choices to ones where you can determine prior usage would make it even more so.
2) I'm hard pressed to think of any examples of common construction products that could linger enough to cause any health concerns.
3) Once you strip out the bed liner, there's really nothing but bare metal in a cargo van...easy to clean and non-absorptive.
4) If you really wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to repaint the interior metal prior to build-out. This would encapsulate any remaining chemical residue.

I've been working out of cargo vans for 30 years and have spilled all manner of crap in them...I just leave the windows open till it dries out and goes away ;)

BradKW said:
Well, a few things, in no particular order...

1) Finding the right van for you can be challenging...further limiting your choices to ones where you can determine prior usage would make it even more so.
2) I'm hard pressed to think of any examples of common construction products that could linger enough to cause any health concerns.
3) Once you strip out the bed liner, there's really nothing but bare metal in a cargo van...easy to clean and non-absorptive.
4) If you really wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to repaint the interior metal prior to build-out. This would encapsulate any remaining chemical residue.

I've been working out of cargo vans for 30 years and have spilled all manner of crap in them...I just leave the windows open till it dries out and goes away   ;)
Thanks for clearing that up for me.