Jury Summons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roaddog

Reaction score
I occasionally get a summons to report for jury selection. What would I do if I got one while traveling far from home? Thanks for any advice you can provide. You guys are greatly appreciated!

If you are physically not able to be present, that should be good enough reason. If the distance is perceived to be long enough, I can see how that would be a hardship and you would be excused. They take attending jury duty seriously, but they seem to have consideration for one's situation whatever that situation may be.

I don't want to encourage you from avoiding jury duty; quite the opposite in fact. Jury duty is one of the cornerstones of a true democracy. However, if you have a justifiable reason to be excused, then that reason will likely be respected.

In the letter that they sent out there will be contact address and phone number so you can contact them and let them know of your situation. I believe jury duty is a very important duty and should not be taken lightly.

When we got back home there was one waiting for me.  Monday the 29th.

If out of the area, I really would expect them to excuse you.  That is what I would have done.

I have been released from my last two jury summons when I called the morning before and was far enough down the food chain they didn't need me.   Both times I did go in, I was let go, once while on a jury - tip: NEVER say "hello" to anyone while passing in the hall!  That silly twit attorney thought I overheard her and her client - who the "H" discusses critical case info IN A PUBLIC HALLWAY?   Sheesh.
Second case was Federal, a firearms trafficking case.  I wanted to be on that trial!!  But.....   NEVER admit to being a gun collector and an NRA Life Member to the legal beagles.  If looks could kill, I'd be dead......   Judge couldn't hit that gavel fast enough....   "Mr. Revell, you are DISMISSED!"   They really don't want a juror who actually knows something of the subject of the case.  You cannot be foxed by smoke&mirrors.

I now fall into the category of Caregiver to my elderly Mother.  That is one of the conditions that can get one off the jury summons.  There are a few others.  The summons form will tell you of any for your state/county.

LeeRevell said:
Second case was Federal, a firearms trafficking case.  I wanted to be on that trial!!  But.....   NEVER admit to being a gun collector and an NRA Life Member to the legal beagles.  If looks could kill, I'd be dead......   Judge couldn't hit that gavel fast enough....   "Mr. Revell, you are DISMISSED!"   They really don't want a juror who actually knows something of the subject of the case.  You cannot be foxed by smoke&mirrors.

Juries are supposed to be randomly selected, but they are not any more. Randomly selecting 200 people and then questioning them to pick the ones that will give the decision the court wants is not random selection! If the court thinks you will consider nullification of a law you will be removed!

I enjoy serving on a jury; I find the process interesting. I just wondered what to do if I got a summons when I'm living in my van and traveling. Thanks so much for your helpful replies!

I had a jury summons show up before Christmas for a Jan. 22 date. I intended to go (or at least call in), but it completely slipped my mind that day and I didn't. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get some consequences. I basically figure the system is too broken down to actually follow up on people who don't show, but I try not to underestimate the ability of even a plodding bureaucratic machine to cause me trouble :/

BradKW said:
Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get some consequences.    :/

Very possible. It varies tremendously from state to state and city to city and other factors. Basically, has the government gotten tired of listening to all the tired excuses of why people are shirking their duty? If so, you may see a fine in your future. If you don't pay, you will likely have a bench warrant issued. As long as you don't get pulled over or anything like that, you should be fine.

I wrote that harshly not because I like to be mean, but wanted to give you a point of view of how it could go for you.

I've only been asked to sign up for jury duty once. That one time I had some stuff going on and said screw it. I literally threw it in the garbage. Something like a month or two later I felt pretty stupid for being immature like that. So I went to the courthouse and said that I had been sent a letter regarding jury duty a couple months ago and didn't sign up like I should have. Then I asked if I could do the paperwork now or is there a consequence of some sort that I need to take care of first? The lady didn't seem happy, but she did sign me up without consequence.

Nothing happened past submitting my name.

Even if you do get arrested, it is muuuuuch easier to be arrested on your terms rather than when you are unprepared. You may have your vehicle towed or left for a few hours unlocked where anyone can go through it. I sincerely doubt an arrest is in your future, but it is good to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. I've been cuffed and detained a few times and jailed once; it is quite the inconvenience.

debit.servus said:
This is not the place to discuss the desire to actually LIVE, by not obsessing over every penny, pound of moving weight and every ounce of fuel.

This is the thread to share experiences with people who's lifes work is figuring out how to save pennies on everything by spending hours of your life you'll never get back. Especially mobile dwellers who obsess over saving weight and fuel.
Right, but are you going to remember the money you saved or the experiences you had on your deathbed?
The dumb thing is most of the people who accomplish most of the mods that aren't of value believe they're saving money or just about to break even. I saw somebodys signature on a hypermiling forum that had "Don't waste your time or time will waste you." I am NOT going to let time waste me, by being a penny pincher. So I'm a dollar pincher, * the pennies. $1 is 100 pennies, think about that.

I will create a thread where we can discuss van mods & alt fuels that have huge proven ROIs, both in money AND time saved.

Spirituallifetime said:
Juries are supposed to be randomly selected, but they are not any more. Randomly selecting 200 people and then questioning them to pick the ones that will give the decision the court wants is not random selection! If the court thinks you will consider nullification of a law you will be removed!

Juries are randomly selected, they have always been subject to questioning by attorneys from both sides. Would you like for the sister of the plaintive against you to be on the jury? Nullification of a law isn't done in court, its done the the legislative process.

buckwilk said:
Nullification of a law isn't done in court, its done the the legislative process.

I believe the nullification is jury nullification where at least one person votes no in spite of the facts. As an example let's say a person gets caught with marijuana in the car. The law clearly says possessing any amount of pot is illegal and the first time offense for this particular crime carries a mandatory minimum of 5 years because it occurred within 1000 feet of a school. The defendant admits to it and the proof is undeniable; this person is guilty beyond all doubt. All because he gave a coworker a ride home and that coworker ditched his weed under the passenger seat.

Since a draconian sentence of 5 years in a Federal prison is much too punitive, one ethical, courageous jury member can rule not guilty in spite of the defendant being guilty. This nullifies the law as it applies to this one case.

BradKW said:
I had a jury summons show up before Christmas for a Jan. 22 date. I intended to go (or at least call in), but it completely slipped my mind that day and I didn't. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get some consequences. I basically figure the system is too broken down to actually follow up on people who don't show, but I try not to underestimate the ability of even a plodding bureaucratic machine to cause me trouble   :/

I was summoned for Grand Jury duty---those that didn't show had bench warrants issued right then and there by the judge.   You might want to contact the clerk of court and explain what happened so it doesn't come to haunt you later.

Gigi