Julie's Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luna1961

Reaction score
My name is Julie, I live in Iowa, I’m 54 and single. I’m also a newcomer and just discovered this web site about a month ago, so I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice at this point. But I can relate to so much of what you wrote and wanted to reply.

It sounds like you’ve thought things through pretty well, and I think your plan is a good one. Even though I don’t know enough to give you advice, I want to offer you my support in what you’re doing. I think you are very courageous and have good common sense, so I believe you will be able to create the kind of life you desire.

I’ve been thinking about living and traveling in a van for quite a while, but especially in the last few months. I own my home, which is a good thing, but it’s become such a burden. I spent almost this entire past summer working on my house…..reshingling the roof and doing other repairs. I pretty much reached the breaking point too, and all summer I kept thinking, “There’s GOT to be more to life than this!” Since I own my home, I can sell it and have enough money to buy a decent van and live in it for quite a while. When I run out of money, I’ll probably do some seasonal or temporary work. I am a certified yoga teacher, but I doubt if there’s a way I could do that while being mobile. 

I’ve often felt like I don’t really belong in the “normal” world. I just don’t seem to fit in, and I’ve also had a hard time living a conventional life-style. Like you, I think the thing I’m the most passionate about is just being free. The happiest times in my life have been when I’ve went on long road trips. I love adventure, seeing beautiful places in this country, and meeting new people. Anything but the same old boring routine and talking to the same people day after day. I’m not happy with my life right now, and I’m often depressed and lonely, like you. So I figure, what do I have to lose by trying a different life-style? It’s gotta be better than how I’m living now.

You said you’ll be taking your cat with you. I have a cat and have been concerned about that, because cats generally don’t travel well. Anyway, mine hates to ride in a car. Your cat must do OK with that. ???

I guess I do have one piece of advice. I think you’ll probably need more than $200 to live on. There’s car insurance and license, gas, food, cell phone, toiletries, money for doing laundry, and other every-day necessities. Some of those might be little things but they all add up. I’d also put some money aside for vehicle maintenance and repairs. I’ve estimated my monthly expenses to be around $400. I think you could still cover all of your expenses by doing massage, if you learn some good marketing strategies.

I’m also planning on going to the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January, which I think is an excellent place to start. I’m going mostly so I can learn from other people, and also to do a test run to find out if I like the life-style and can handle living in a very small space. If things go as planned for you, I’ll probably see you there. Since we’re both new to this, maybe we can help and support each other in reaching our goals and making our dreams come true! 

Welcome to the CRVL forums Julie!   I hope it's ok that I copied your introductory post to its own thread for folks to get to know you.  I split it from the New-chick-no-idea-what-I-m-doing thread.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.  

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Julie
Welcome aboard.
Glad to have you join the crew.

The whole forum is about help and support.
Good to see you in the spirit with your first post !
Ask us anything and you shall receive ..........

Most of us don't "fit" in the normal world either :p  That's why we are here.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Julie

Nice intro, but I think you may be wrong about finding 'mobile' work as a yoga instructor

I LOVE my yoga, and have a hard time finding the time and space to work on my own yoga exercises...especially when I'm out traveling.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be inclined to get me an E-Z Up portable tent (like the vendors use at flea markets and craft fairs.)
They come in many different sizes, and you can get zip-on walls for them too.
I have acouple of them I set-up for working under when I'm pinstriping at motorcycle rallys...but we also use them for camping.
P1010358.JPG

You autta get a bigger one, maybe a 10' x 20' model, and set it up at places like Quartzite, and with a banner to advertise your studio...I'd bet you'd find lots of folks who'd love to find a good yoga instructor to keep themselves limber while out on the road.

Welcome to the forum, and maybe we'll see you sometime! :D

Hello from the Oregon Coast!

Attachments

• P1010358.JPG
    P1010358.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 4