Jeep Inline 6 with Manual or Auto

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CautionToTheWind

Reaction score
Auto or manual a better choice with (either have a weak link?) model years mid-90's to mid-2000's? Definitely a 4x4. Pulling a small light trailer camper.

Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Throw advise on Wranglers if you'd like (I'm not leaning that way...however wouldn't hurt to get info if you have it).

In all my 53 years, I rode in one friend's Jeep, a Cherokee (mid-90's year), and was nearly a box of rocks...lol.

I vote manual, but beware some Jeeps came with a Peugeot manual trans. avoid these at all cost. a much better choice is the Aisin 5 speed manual. highdesertranger

TMG51, lol, I love a manual too! Wondering if the manual is as bullet proof. ⚠

Every Road Leads Home, Right!

no, no the Peugeot is junk, not bullet proof by anybody's standard. highdesertranger

I had a 2003 Grand Cherokee for a few years. Nothing but trouble. Transmission failed me 2x leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Radiator blew, and always had electrical problems. Automatic V8. Others I knew with Cherokees had similar nightmares. Money pit, especially once it's out of warranty. My 14 yr old manual Wrangler Rubicon has an inline 6 and still going strong.

highdesertranger, your first post was at the same time as my reply. Thanks for the Peugeot *junk* heads-up.

PathofAsha, Got it! Yours was an auto I presume? I don't want a V8.

I think it would be difficult to find a Grand Cherokee with a manual transmission. They were kind of the luxury model. I had a 1996 Grand Cherokee with the straight 6. The only problem I had was the rear differential axle assy. They were not real heavy duty. This was at about 120,000 miles as I remember. I had it so long that even though it was a great vehicle, I got bored with it I guess. When a friend fell on hard times I gave it to them.

I guess the Jeep might not be overall the best for what I need. I don't know...

My other option is, Inline 6 Ford 4x4 perhaps would fit the bill better.

I once had a 98 XJ. Loved it. Regret selling it a couple times a week now that I live in the mountains.
I pulled a decent sized pop up camper with it but didn't like it. Going up a barely decent slope it would rev or shift gears or something. It felt like the engine was straining mightily.
I've been on an XJ forum site for years. Good place to ask about it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/.
XJs need A LOT of wrench love, but the 4.0 is excellent. On the forum they will show you how to fix just about everything. Years 2000-2001 may have head issue. Pre 96 OBDI 1. 97 wire routing was inconsistent. All tend to overheat. If I had to pull a camper with one again I'd definitely have a transmission cooler, two fans, and flush out the entire cooling system - especially the heater core. I'd also beef up the leaf springs.

CautionToTheWind said:
My other option is, Inline 6 Ford 4x4 perhaps would fit the bill better.

I'm a huge fan of the 300ci six! A pickup with a longer wheelbase will always be a more stable tow rig. I owned a pre-fuel injection 4x2 f150  inline 6 and 5 speed that was used to drag around a 3k+ sail boat. Was ok on flat ground but wouldn't have wanted to attempt keeping up with traffic in the mountains. You'll be happier in the long run if you can nail down the size/weight of whatever you'll be towing then find a tow rig that has plenty of capacity to manage it. 
I'm sure they'll be other opinions but for myself I like to stay at aprox 50% of the rated weight.

Safe travels, Vern

While it may not be impossible to find a manual tranny Jeep, it's going to limit your available choices quite a bit.  I get the impression that better than 90% of all vehicles on the road are automatics.

On the other hand, so few people know how to drive a stick that they may well sell cheaper than an automatic - there being almost no real demand for them . . .

I've got a 99 XK I bought at a NY state auction, ex Department of Corrections vehicle. 

Don't know where you are, but you should research your state's vehicle auction policies.  There are great bargains to be had at state vehicle auctions.

Mis dos centavos:

I have a '96 XJ Cherokee. Got the 4.0 High Output engine and the Aisin 5 speed. It's a wonderful vehicle but it doesn't tow things well. The clutch won't be happy about towing uphill, especially. I was maxed out towing a small ski boat on a trailer. Towing is one of the very few times where I prefer an automatic.

Cherokees make for a good toad but not a good tow vehicle.

For the Grand Cherokee, I'd make sure to get a V8 instead of the I6. They seem like a great bang for your buck on the used market. I have limited personal experience with them but would consider one for myself if I was looking.

Side note: I think 1996 is the best year for Cherokees. It's the last year of the "old" body style and the first year with OBD2. The 4.0L had been hopped up to the HO version by then too.

I've got a 02 grand Cherokee limited that I really like with inline 6. I got it for basically the price of putting in a new tranny when the old one crapped out on previous owner at 135k...

I pulled 2 jet skis with a 1998 auto and it did it but didn't like it as was prone to down shift a lot on small hills and with a lot of wear on suspension parts and poor gas mileage I went to a V8 Chevy truck with just a little lost in MPG but plenty of power. Most of my friends were happy with pulling a utility trailer with lighter loads and enjoyed having lots of cheap junk yard parts available due to the large number no longer on the road, back then all my friends had torches and tools and were happy to spend the week working on their rigs to go 4 wheeling and break them on the weekends.

the Jeep 4.0 is one of the best engines AMC/Jeep/Eagle/Chrysler ever came up with. The older (I *think* pre 1992) Peugeot BA-10 manual transmission is utter garbage. The newer AX-15 is the way to go. Jeeps from this era were all offered with optional tow packages that used nearly bullet proof dana-44 rear axle rather then the weak C-clip dana 35.

But also, you simply cannot go wrong with a Ford truck equipped with a 4.9L straight 6 and manual transmission.

Thanks everyone for the detailed feedback!

Why is it with the I6 FORDs, the automatics can tow more versus manual? One would think the other way around...

CautionToTheWind said:
Thanks everyone for the detailed feedback!

Why is it with the I6 FORDs, the automatics can tow more versus manual? One would think the other way around...

I'm guessing that with manual trannies, the weak point is the clutch.  Based on some dim recollections from when I used to sell auto parts, way back when,  the sixes usually had smaller clutches than the eights. And the big eights had bigger clutches than the small ones.  It all comes down to square inches of surface area for power transfer from the engine to the tranny.  I think.

I've never owned a Grand Cherokee, but I've had friends that have. They don't seem as reliable as the XJ overall. We're on our second XJ - it now belongs to our younger son. It is about to turn 200,000 miles, and other than normal maintenance we just replaced the fuel pump. Everything else is original and still going strong. Our first one got wrapped around a tree by the same son when he was a new driver and showing off. It had around 180,000 miles at the time and would probably still be going. I think the only non maintenance issue we had with it was a cam sensor went out. Both are autos, and while I prefer a stick, these ones actually work pretty well. Way back when I was a building inspector I drove another XJ that was a stick. It was also very reliable and the stick was definitely more sporty to drive. I never towed with it though so I couldn't tell you which would be better in that respect.