January NW Trip

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saguache

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">This trip was supposed to have been conducted in Zeno (1983 VW Vanagon High Top), but I ran into some combustion issues prior to departure.&nbsp; Bummer, for me as I've spent a lot of time recently working on getting the interrior up to snuff.&nbsp; Oh well, that's what Blackberry (2006 Subaru Forester) is for.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">I left late in the evening on the 6th and headed west through thick deer taritory.&nbsp; Ended up getting to Glade Park, CO where my parents live at about 22:00 that night.&nbsp; I dropped off the dogs (staying with the folks for the duration) and got a shower and some good sleep.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">Up the next morning Mom made bacon and eggs.&nbsp; I got on the road a little later than I had anticipated, but still had plenty of time to to drive through UT and a snow storm along Hwy 50 and Soliders summit to make it well into Idaho before sunset.&nbsp; I drove through Boise, ID and turned north on Hwy 55 intending to take advantage of one of&nbsp;Idaho's many wonderful hotsprings.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">Skinnydipper Hotsprings was busy on this Saturday night; I started soaking in the lower (party pool) and the when it started feeling crowded I climbed up to the second pool and found that there were far fewer people actually enjoying the heat and not the booze.&nbsp; Met some really nice folks, listened to some very interesting stories, and watched the moon creep across the sky.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">After soaking for plenty of time I headed down to the car and drove up the road a bit.&nbsp; Reparked and went for a two hour run up a forester service dirt road.&nbsp; I hadn't checked in so when I got back to the car around midnight I drove back down Hwy 50 until I could signaled home then found a place to park at a outlying public park.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">Sunday morning I woke up before the sun and drove back up to Skinnydipper.&nbsp; Ahhhhhhhh!&nbsp; Is there anything better than sitting in 106° water watching the sun come up and the alpine glow on the clouds and hills.&nbsp; I soaked until I took on the aspect of The Prune.&nbsp; Then got up and cleaned up the mess that had been left (mostly by the party pool).&nbsp; I hadnt brought with me any bags, but I took the collection of towels that had been left behind and piled up the trash, bottles and underwear.&nbsp; Then flushed all three pools and refilled them.&nbsp; I walked back down leaving the trash for someone else to carry out and met Hurley on my way out.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">Back on the road I finsihed driving to Redmoned, WA later that night.&nbsp; Parked and slept in my company's parking lot.&nbsp; Next morning up and at em early in the AM.&nbsp; Shower and shave in the building and then off to Starbucks for some coffee and breakfast.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="1">Yesterday was a full day of class, and when I finished and took care of outstanding email decided that it was time to get some more miles in.&nbsp; I drove up to Snoqualmie Pass and proceeded to asscend and descend the west side of the resort three times.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="4"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="4"><font size="1">Back down at the car which I had parked up toward (but not at the PCT SoBo trailhead) I popped the top and curled up in my sleeping bag.&nbsp; Couple of hours later I woke to security rousting me (and I was really asleep).&nbsp; She informed me that I couldnt sleep there and offered a couple of options nearby.&nbsp; She was nice enough about it so I packed up and decided to head down to the Seattle area to give myself a headstart the following morning.</font></font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="4"><font size="1"></font></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="4"><font size="1">Its Tuesday morning, showered and shaved this morning again at the office and headed over to the building where my class is being conducted.</font></p></font>

Sounds like the lifestyle agrees with you...

I do enjoy it that's for sure. Bedded down tonight in a residential area in Bellevue. It's cha cha chilly

<p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2">Last night was chilly.&nbsp; The average outside temp was just a hair below freezing, but the amount of humidity in the air made the cold very penetrating.&nbsp; I tried the winter hood for the MGT for the first time.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2">Its a pain in the ass to put up in the dark after its gotten really cold.&nbsp; Basically, the top of the insulation layer has a line of velcro that affixes to the loop line under the brim of the top portion of the MGT.&nbsp; I cracked the top, raising it a bit and then went around the perimeter sticking the hood to the top.&nbsp; By the time I made it all the way around my hands were icy cold.&nbsp; Next time it wont take so long however as I understand how it goes up and can tweak my application.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2">Once its up and you're inside the MGT the winter hood really seems to make a difference.&nbsp; I used my weather gagde several times last night.&nbsp; First taking a reading from inside the MGT and then sticking my hand out side of the tent and taking a second reading from outside.&nbsp; The differential averaged more than 10º.&nbsp; I did not apply control and measure the same differential without the hood (which tweaks my scientific nose, but I was unmotivated to do so by the cold).</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="2">Back in class today, learning lots and enjoying rainy, cold Seattle area.</font></p>

Finished class yesterday afternoon, spent some time getting caught up on work, then went for a run. The highway system near Seattle is a mess. After my run was really interested in finding someplace busy, full of people. My original intent was to head over the water to Seattle propper, but the traffic was as bad as only Seattle can seem to make it. I opted to visit a pub in Bellevue instead.

I enjoyed a tasty salad and two of my favorite brews soaking int the glossolalia of the bar. Enjoyable while it lasted but the brews where expensive so I ended up retreating to a safe haven with wifi. Coffee and some reading until it felt more like bedtime.

I ended up stealthing in a commercial parking lot last night. The winter cap came out of the bag frozen and I should have anticipated this since I put it away wet. It did go up much faster last night.

Humidity was very high last night and it got cold, but I did well. Up this morning before the sun (and security guards) I headed over to the office for a shave and shower. I'm currently warming up in a coffee shop before the last day of class.

Cold nights can be tough. I had three hoodies and a sleeping bag last night and still wished for more warmth. It takes a brave soul to rough it out in the NW.

<p style="margin: 0px;">
Ryan24 said:
<span id="post_message_1271767629">Cold nights can be tough. I had three hoodies and a sleeping bag last night and still wished for more warmth. It takes a brave soul to rough it out in the NW.
</span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span></span>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span>No kidding, the most challenging bit for me is always the humidity.&nbsp; Colorado tends to be cold and dry.&nbsp; Its much easier to stay warm in cold air with insulation if the air your body is heating up remains dry.&nbsp; I've been out on the road for nearly a week now and everything is pretty much damp (even when I can't feel it).&nbsp; When I wake up in the morning I've noticed that there is frozen condensation on the interrior of the cabin of my car.&nbsp; There's a similar amount of moisture in the air and materials up in the MGT.&nbsp; I need to figure out a better way to dry things out.</span></p>

I am back in Colorado (said with a sigh of relief). &nbsp;The trip back was interesting to say the least. &nbsp;On the way I stopped by our old house to pick up a load of stuff and pull it along with me on the return trip. &nbsp;As I tried to get the trailer lights working again (the switch controller failed and I had to replace it) the specter of snow and loomed over the Cascades to the west. &nbsp;I admit I got a little frantic while packing the trailer because there was a catabatic gust of wind followed by snow while I ferried stuff from the garage to the trailer.<div><br></div><div>I was on the road and fighting gust fronts all the way from Washington to Idaho where I camped the first night. &nbsp;Back at Skinnydipper Hot Springs once more I soaked for a while in the nicely hot water. &nbsp;What a beautiful way point on this trip. &nbsp;Saturday night there were a lot of children soaking and drinking up there which made me scoot as soon as I felt relaxed and like there might be a possibility of sleep.</div><div><br></div><div>Up early-sih the next morning I headed back up to the hot springs. &nbsp;Worked with a bunch of keepers to clean up and then soaked some more. &nbsp;The night previous was chilly, but again the winter cap worked wonders. &nbsp;I was warm and cozy and the dry(er) Idaho air helped to evaporate some of the accumulated moisture.</div><div><br></div><div>Back on the road I did battle with the wind and arrived home in Colorado late the following evening.</div><div><br></div><div>Great trip, although I'm sad that I didn't get to drive the bus this time.</div>

Those hot springs sound good. We encountered our first hot springs on a trip west to Colorado. Can't recall the name. I'll check the map lol. Looking forward to getting out that way again. Maybe this fall.

Seraphim said:
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">Those hot springs sound good. We encountered our first hot springs on a trip west to Colorado. Can't recall the name. I'll check the map lol. Looking forward to getting out that way again. Maybe this fall.
</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">Colorado has some ok Hot Springs, most are private, have an entry fee, and require swim ware. &nbsp;Idaho happens to be the world's densest collection of shakable hot springs. &nbsp;Seriously, if you see steam rising from the side of a hill or a puddle of water its probably a hot springs and you can probably safely soak in it. &nbsp;Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon and Washington all have them; they're either not very numerous or they're not safe to soak in.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">While I'm at it, let me take a moment to recommend the <a href="http://hotspringsguy.com/" target="_blank">Hot Springs Guy</a>, he can help you find and enjoy some really great soaks all over the north west. &nbsp;I happened to run into him at Skinny Dipper the weekend on my way out to Washington, he's a super nice guy who takes soaking seriously.</span></div>

Whoa, what an interesting guy. I'd love to meet up with him someday.