I've joined the fruigivore club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I like the minimalist cooking aspect because I'm in the north. Its too cold to have water right now because it would just freeze. Before I would just make sandwhichs salads and put cans of soup on my buddy heater. Just having fruit lay around is pretty convenient.

I'm about 4 weeks into this maybe 5. I have had a few cheat meals though. I notice the difference immediately. I either feel slightly queasy or sluggish. And I eat pretty clean when I cheat. Kinds sucks because I feel like I'm going to miss my favorite foods. And I'm starting to think cooked food is an addiction.

" Its too cold to have water right now because it would just freeze"

jeez, what do you drink. if it's freezing your water what about your fruit and veggies, they don't handle freezing well?

highdesertranger

The gallon jugs I have inside usually stay thawed. I keep the heat running when I'm not at work. Sometimes they freeze but its usually the chunky kind of freeze. Not the deep solid freeze.So far the fruits been ok. Its only been floating around 20 degrees lately so not too bad. I worry about the plumbing lines freezing and leaking and all that so usually this time of year I drain and gill it up with amtifreeze.

Also I think the inside cabin area of the van is less exposed to the cold for various reason as opposed to the plumbing.

How about some nuts for fat and protein?

I do like eating dried fruit and nuts for a breakfast meal, it is frequent breakfast meal for me.

You can "cook" oatmeal overnight by adding water to the quick cooking oats. Of course I much prefer hot oatmeal in the winter time but most often I have it for dinner rather than for breakfast.

By the way if you don't have refrigeration at this time of year you can open a can of evaporated milk and it will last for a week without refrigeration and no souring of the milk. I learned about that in the early 1970s from my mother in law who was a homesteader in Alaska. Fresh milk product were very expensive in Alaska so lots of people used canned evaporated milk. I still prefer it for oatmeal and also for making hot chocolate and putting into a cup of sweetened chai tea. The space I am in is not all that warm so at this time of year I don't bother putting it in the fridge. The health department might have a fit about it but I have never had any problem with not refrigerating the opened can. Of course I don't drink right out of the can and I don't have any cats around trying to do that either. I also would not leave it out in the summer time as food spoils faster in hot weather.

x2 on the evaporative milk. a week is no problem in the winter. I use it for any recipe that calls for milk. if I want to make whatever it is richer, use it undiluted. highdesertranger

maki2 said:
 . . .
You can "cook" oatmeal overnight by adding water to the quick cooking oats. Of course I much prefer hot oatmeal in the winter time but most often I have it for dinner rather than for breakfast.

Instead of water, I add 1 or 2 packets of instant oatmeal to a can of fruit with the juice, mix well, leave in fridge overnight.  Two packets makes 2 meals, one packet makes one meal.
I use this a lot when traveling in the summer; quick and good.

Giuseppe Hardblast said:
From what I understand the fruit will give me all the protein I need
Sounds like when I asked my doctor on a routine exam about my friend who did the Fit for Life program -- made by people who had no expertise in the nutrition field, by the way.  I said he seemed on the verge of collapsing at times.  His eyes would look like they were literally spinning in his head at the least exertion.  Me and my friends actually had to compromise our activity for him.  He said more than once, "You can get all the protein you need for the day by eating an apple!'

He lost a ton of weight, but had no energy stability whatever.  He even schemed to us sometimes to try to make us stop doing whatever we might be doing and just join him on dumping one or the other of us, or our activities.  He did it to me; and to a friend.  He looked panicked and desperate.  Just wild-eyed with fear.

My doctor rolled his eyes when I told him the story and asked for his help.  This stuff is garbage, he said.  Sure you can lose weight by eating nothing but fruit and non-starchy veggies, but your body actually does need fat and protein, and you have to approach dietary changes in a balanced manner.  He said he had had other people come in with the same problems and thought the Fit for Life type approach which ignores the importance of protein and/or fat was a terrible and outright dangerous idea. 

He wasn't impressed at all and neither am I.

Giuseppe Hardblast said:
Changed my diet about 3 weeks ago to all raw fruit(with the exception of a chicken chipotle burrito) and I'm enjoying it so far. I like not having to do dishes in my van anymore or cook in it. It's a relief. Simplier.
Where did you get your information from, website, book? I would be interested in finding out more on this subject.

thanks in advance