I've accepted the shuffle...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmorAbby

Reaction score
I haven't embraced it... but I've accepted it.  

I'd seen all the videos on VanDwelling where the kitchen has to become the bedroom which has to become the study, etc etc.  
After rebuilding twice, reorganizing multiple times... as a person who likes things in their places.... even if chaotic organization...  
I thought I would be able to make a place for everything and avoid the shuffle....   
but now at 8 months in... I've given in.. Laundry just has no place... Gym Bags that are hanging up just have to move at night when the fan is on and I'm going to bed... The Trash can has to stay on top the toilet if it's not being used.. etc etc etc...  

and it's ok....  I've adapted.. I don't mind it now.. Don't love it.. haven't embraced it...  

but I've accepted the Shuffle...

Has a ring to it, I've accepted the Shuffle. Move things out the way for a dance floor. Can we dance now?  :cool:

Of course some just choose to convert a larger vehicle
DoubleDeckerBus.jpg

ArmorAbby, I had to chuckle reading your post. Yeah, you measure everything a thousand times, draw sketches, buy better gear to better organize, and then you just accept the shuffle.
It's gotten to the point where I measure everything, even the most mundane things such as food containers, to be constantly plotting space.

Abby, take a look at my build thread - link in my signature. Also Bob did a walk through of my van, albeit before I finished the electric and put the fridge and freezer in place. 

The only things I shuffle around are:

the 2 footstools I carry. 1 is for outside the side door so when I'm not parked it needs to be moved about. The other one sits beside my bed and gets in my way when I need to make the bed in the morning and when I pull the freezer out because I need the whole hallway for that. Access to the freezer is maybe twice a day at most.

The spare throw for on my bed gets moved at bedtime as does the always present pile of clothes that I've worn but aren't ready for the laundry hamper.

I use an old TV tray for a dining table. It doubles as an office desk for  my laptop. THAT gets shuffled around a lot because if I want out of my seat I have to move it, if I want in to the pantry it's usually in my way too.

Other than that, nada!

The key is a place for everything and everything in it's place.

It's true that I can have the bed higher than most because of the high top but some of the room I needed for both a fridge and a freezer can be repurposed for clothing storage.

I had the advantage of this not being my first build. Give it time, you'll get there! Just don't give up... :)

I got one of those folding table thingies... I really intend on using it, but my build is very inefficient and I just don't have a place to stand it up yet or easily use it. I do have a lapboard that I use as a 'table' sorta.... and an endtable that I just got...
I've rebuilt two or three times.. and I don't have a power saw, and couldn't find any battery operated ones to rent. I have no electric to plug into. So I do waste quite a few inches throughout the place. Rather than cutting to size, I'd start to cut to size.. then I'd get so tired of cutting, I'd just say.. ok.. that's it.. this shelf is the size of this board...
One of these days... I'll take the time to actually drill, saw, cut, measure, more accurately...
The more I type and talk about it right here.. the more I wanna do it again now....

Keep in mind that your Home Depot and Lowe's will cut any sheet of plywood to the exact dimensions you specify. First cut is usually free and then they charge a nominal amount for the rest of the cuts.

I too did my entire build with only a jig saw and a drill for power tools. I took advantage of the cutting services at the lumber yard and used the professional cut edges to my benefit when cutting down boards - my less than perfect cuts are mostly hidden in the corners where they don't show.

The best tool that I bought when doing my build was the Kreg pocket screw jig...it would have been impossible and/or expensive to do it without it.

The single hole one, called the Kreg Jr.

In the entire build I only ever needed two pocket screws set in the distance that the regular Kreg jig is set for, once maybe twice. It was just as easy to set the jig up twice. The rest of the time I needed them set at random intervals depending on what I was attaching. The 2hole one would have been a big waste.

Besides, it's much, much cheaper!

Do buy the Kreg screws though, the extra lip on the screw head makes a big difference. Well worth the little extra in price over regular wood screws.

"Kreg pocket screw jig"

I don't even know what this thing is... Googled it.. looks totally unfamiliar.. gonna read up on it...

Feel free to ask any questions!

It replaced umpteen pounds of L brackets, saved space and made joining two pieces of anything wood a breeze!

Way better than L brackets for so many reasons

- they hold wood together with 1 screw where the bracket needs 4 and hold it just as well if not better.
- no weight of the L bracket and the screws. Doesn't seem like much until you add up all of them.
- there is no raised part that totes and tubs have to be eased past.
- completely concealed inside the cabinet so you have a neater look to it.
- can be used where L brackets just aren't practical like in making drawers.
- much cheaper. Even here in Canada where the Kreg Jr. was something over $20.00, I saved a ton of money and mutliple trips to the lumber yard!

AT: "Keep in mind that your Home Depot and Lowe's will cut any sheet of plywood to the exact dimensions you specify. First cut is usually free and then they charge a nominal amount for the rest of the cuts."

Actually, since HD opened, I've never been charged for ANY cuts. The last was a sheet of plywood cut into 6 16" pieces = no charge.

For where I live, it used to be first two cuts are free... now, it's all cuts are free...

Hell, just another thing that Canadian retailers screw us on.... :dodgy:

LOL Next step... I realized this morning.. since I've accepted the shuffle.. is to now make it easier to shuffle... ;)
I'm considering renting a garage for a weekend or so, that has electric available, and maybe rent tools to do a really efficient build.. maybe winter time... so I'll also take advantage of being protected from the blizzard.. if I can time it together when it happens...

The shuffle. Yes, Some-thing is always in the way of the That-thing I need now. Gradually Other-thing moves out of sight and way in the back of Every-thing. Then when I forget I have This-thing I need it and go buy Another-thing.
Back off thread. I have the Kreg jig. First got the two hole kit. Then I needed a new bit. The one hole thingy came with a bit and now have that. I got tired of all the clamping and moving of the two hole jig. Now have the bench mounted set up. I like the system and it makes very strong joints. My furniture is built with 1 inch pine lumber as 1x3 1x4 1x2's used as framing. The ends have to be cut square and square or the project is crap-ed. The first power tool to buy is a battery drill/driver. Such as Ryobi 18 volt. If you are serious about building, then a table saw and or mitering saw is very handy. Using a carpenters hand saw is possible to make good cuts if quality saw and careful use.