It’s cold in Wisconsin

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruet

Reaction score
The high for the next few days is +2 and the low is -22.  I hope that any van folks up here are able to stay warm.  I’m up here currently and trying to stay warm inside - having to periodically shovel snow.

Last fall there was a lady here who was trying to fix up a shed to live in.  She was trying to insulate by stuffing old clothes into the cracks.  I hope that she is able to keep warm and can deal with the blizzard which is supposed to hit next week.

Do what you gotta do to stay safe, folks. Being "dead" lasts for a really long time.

:angel:

I can't imagine boondocking in Wisconsin in the Winter. I wouldn't think about doing it where I live in NW Ohio.....good luck, and be safe !

I live in eastern ohio. It's has been cold here. I've been out in it a few nights but nothing like thier talking about in Wisconsin.

That was "JuliaAnne2018", who was near Green Bay, and hasn't logged in here since Nov.
I strongly suspect she's abandoned that project, since one of her big issues was keeping her dog with her, and I gather she's realized that's not doable.

Maybe somebody who was friendly with her could PM her?

I'm the gal whose van engine seized up 12 days ago in northern WI, across the river from Iron Mountain MI. Found a motel that would let me defer payment, but they were booked this weekend.
Just got thru 3 days without heat in my van (going back to the motel this afternoon).
I definitely do not recommend doing that. :)
I'm well trained in winter survival, and have good gear, but it was tough even for me.
Fortunately, a local cafe has let me sit in a corner during the day (closes @10pm) and even gave me a drive to my van the last 2 nights (it's not far, but was helpful & kind).
Northerners grok cold, and rural folks in my experience are kinder than big city dwellers - mentioned for you novices who are worried about moving out of your concrete jungles. ;)

If I weren't a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) survivor, I'd have used the local shelter.
I hope Julie did, if she's still homeless.

I'll post some cold weather tips to suitable threads, soon-ish. :)

Take care.  I’m in Madison, WI taking care of my grand children this week.  We are expecting a major snow storm/blizzard to start tonight.  The high on Wednesday is projected to be -19 so it’s not going to be pleasant for folks outside this next week.

Thanks mpruet! :)
As soon as I can get a ride, I'll be back at the motel (it was only this weekend and the first two nights of the breakdown that were problems).
The lack of a vehicle means I'll be hunkered down for the Arctic Blast!
Plus, I've got a big pile of volunteer spam analysis I'll be working on. :)

Remind me to post my recipe for "Polar Vortex grilled cheese". :D
Madison is a cool er let's say "shiny" city - I'll be thinking of you during The Blast. :)

Kaylee, any particular reason you decided to stay in Wisconsin during the winter?   

I mean....Arizona >> Wisconsin during this time of year, right?

IGBT: I didn't. I'm "thick" but not that thick! :)
My van's engine seized up. :(
Needs a replacement, at least a shortblock, probably a longblock.
I bought it in early December, drove slowly back to WI to outfit it from my storage unit (been mostly living in northern WI for 3 years, seasonal rentals).
My plan had been to go to the WRTR, but my first breakdown (in South Dakota) and other factors interfered.

I'm the person referenced in the thread titled "Iron Mountain,MI looking for mechanic" in "Mechanical Issues".
I'm actually across the river in WI, so if anyone knows a mechanic (retired is fine) in the area who could help, that would be awesome. :)

Had registered here, and was all ready to post up a storm, when the forum died.
Found Gary's forum, and posted tons of Newbie questions there (and answered some, too).

Stay tuned for lots of shelf stable food, cybersecurity, and winter survival stuff from me. :)
I can also help with some of the forum's technical issues (e.g. 2 viable software solutions to the over-Quoting problem).

I spent a decade in the Air Reserves doing Search and Rescue, including a year training on the North Shore of Lake Superior, so the last 3 days have been doable, just strongly not recommended.
Got a min-max thermometer in the van, and last night's inside low was -10F.
I hope Julie's family got her somewhere safe!

Ok....take care.  That is cold.   We are in eastern Washington state but it is only a low of 20 here and high during the day in upper 30s.

I drove back via eastern WA, for the first time in my life - very pretty country! :) :)

Here's my best pic from the trip, probably on the Snake River:
fawkes_snakeriver_01b.jpg

As I approached, I was pretty sure that if I climbed the hill, I'd get a "van dweller" type pic. ;)

Despite my two breakdowns, I'm still serious about this lifestyle.
It "helps" a lot that I've completely failed to find any stable quiet housing, in more than 10 years.
Posts by Blanch and other disabled women have convinced me this is worth a serious try. :)
Next winter I expect to be somewhere much warmer, or at worse, have shore power & a heater.

I lived in Florida for almost 20 years, so I shiver if it gets below 75. ;)

But I grew up in Pennsylvania and did a lot of backbacking up on the Appalachian Trail, including winter camping. It is not something that anyone wants to try unless they have good equipment and know what they are doing. Every winter there are a number of people who die up on the Trail because they got in over their head.

Networking:
Does anyone have a friend/relative with a quiet smoke-free unused cabin in NE Wisconsin, that I could borrow/rent for between about 2 weeks to 2 months?
I'm tight on money, but still have one IRA that I can tap into fairly quickly, so can pay. I have excellent curated renter references.

The motel where I've been crashing is doing their annual renovations starting this weekend, and I have to leave Friday.
Haven't found anywhere to go.
This is the only motel in the region that's smoke-free.

I'm still looking for a shop or freelance mechanic to do the repair (so far, three have fallen thru, and a couple dozen just don't do that type of repair).

Thanks for all the previous kind support in this thread. :)